SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-13, 09:23 PM   #31
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Well, I actually never heard a peep about it until I joined Subsim. We teach the Battle of Britain more than the Sub War.
Quote:
Now that really does surprise me..........
It's true. Most of what I read about submarines before coming here, was about German U-boats torpedoing Allied ships in the Atlantic.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-13, 04:01 AM   #32
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

That's interesting. I still know virtually nothing about the history of British submarine operations in WWII, but I don't think that for us they were such a significant part of strategy. As a kid I had an inkling that US submarines had a role that was important, but I had no idea how important. I knew there were torpedo issues, but I had no idea of the scale of that problem either.

When I was at school, I read a book about US Submarines in the Pacific. I remember that USS Trigger was mentioned in it, and I remember a piece about refining shooting techniques to use less torpedoes and frustration with the system that discounted missed torpedoes as long as some of the spread hit. I also vividly remember the account of a motor burning out in the ice cream maker, because it was working during a battery charge - Apparently after this, a standing order was issued stating that no battery charging was to be done without advising the Officer in Charge of Ice Cream..... I'd bet heavily that somebody on here is going to know what that book was, and I'd be grateful to anyone who could remind me of the title - I'd like to read it again...
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-13, 10:08 AM   #33
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_vino_vomitus View Post
I also vividly remember the account of a motor burning out in the ice cream maker, because it was working during a battery charge - Apparently after this, a standing order was issued stating that no battery charging was to be done without advising the Officer in Charge of Ice Cream..... I'd bet heavily that somebody on here is going to know what that book was, and I'd be grateful to anyone who could remind me of the title - I'd like to read it again...
I've read that book. I remember the bit about the ice cream.

Try Submarine! The Classic Account of Undersea Combat in World War II by Edward Beach. I seem to recall it being in there. The book jumps between Beach's personal story on Trigger and the stories of other boats.

Edit: Thank you, Amazon... Ice cream is covered in chapter seven.
Old 07-04-13, 10:36 AM   #34
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137

Yep! - That's it - Thanks
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-13, 10:42 AM   #35
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default I'm with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Watching Silent Service on TV in the '50s.
Me too, Sailor Steve. In fact, I ordered a set of DVDs and am enjoying watching those old black and white shows again. Boy, has broadcast quality come a long way?
Old 07-05-13, 03:31 PM   #36
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond6751 View Post
Me too, Sailor Steve. In fact, I ordered a set of DVDs and am enjoying watching those old black and white shows again. Boy, has broadcast quality come a long way?
That was my intro too. I had the books WWII in Pictures (a 3 volume set) and the one picture that really stood out to me was one of a sinking Japanese destroyer. The picture was taken through a periscope, and it just grabbed me. When I got to watch "The Silent Service" I was hooked forever. Once the games started coming I was in heaven. Hunt for Red October; 688i, you name it. I bought it. But what keeps me in it now is SHIV, modded with TMO2.5 and RSRD, with as many small mods as I can apply without crashing.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 04:03 PM   #37
grislyatoms
Medic

Downloads: 31
Default PBY Catalina

My Grandad piloted a PBY Catalina in WWII. His recollections were what got me into naval sims. First sim I played was Gato at my cousin's house. Played Silent Service 1 and 2, AOD, Jane's 688, SHIII GWX (still playing) and now currently SHIV TMO.
Old 07-09-13, 05:17 PM   #38
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by grislyatoms View Post
My Grandad piloted a PBY Catalina in WWII. His recollections were what got me into naval sims. First sim I played was Gato at my cousin's house. Played Silent Service 1 and 2, AOD, Jane's 688, SHIII GWX (still playing) and now currently SHIV TMO.
A salute to his service!

The Catalinas are my favorite flying boat. The crews certainly have my respect.
Old 07-12-13, 09:45 AM   #39
grislyatoms
Medic

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
A salute to his service!

The Catalinas are my favorite flying boat. The crews certainly have my respect.
Much appreciated! I still have his cover, wings, and bars.
Old 07-20-13, 08:28 AM   #40
DangerDeadpan
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Broadly speaking, I first became interested in military history when I heard a lecture at my university from a guest speaker who visited us from the U.S. Naval Academy. The topic was on esprit de corps. In terms of submarine warfare, getting into simulation games (SH4 obviously), sparked an interest in the Pacific War. I'm also interested in the IJN.
Old 07-23-13, 11:57 AM   #41
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Reading Silent Victory as a child...
Old 07-23-13, 01:01 PM   #42
c13Garrison
Ensign

Downloads: 14

Before the post goes stale, I'll chime in for my two bits. My first draw to submarines was reading a large coffee-table book called WWII Warships that I still wish I had. Nice book, pictures, color line drawings, basic history. I was reading about the 'R' class (Revenge, Resolution, Royal Oak, etc.) when I came upon the tale of U-47 sinking Royal Oak in Scapa Flow. That hooked me.

I spent a lot of time looking for a WWII Atlantic subsim, but when I found one and finally got close to a KGV class battleship the graphics were so appalling I stopped playing. I bought SH4Gold in the bargain bin at Target in 2006, and played it on and off until I discovered this site 2 weeks ago. Since then, many hobbies have had to wait in line for Me time...
c13Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-13, 11:56 PM   #43
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Downloads: 59

Being completely honest, while I was ten years old and at an uncle's house, I had to rush to the bathroom for an emergency dump (emergency blow?) and all that was around to read was a copy of Submarine! by Edward Beach on the back of the toilet. An hour later, well after my business was completed (I was on the surface), I was still sitting there, reading.
Aramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 03:47 AM   #44
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Submarine movies (especially "The Enemy Below"... what a cracking film still). I did visit a decommissioned sub in Baltimore harbour on a visit to the US in 1982, don't know what it was called or whether it's even still there.

Has anyone ever built that 1/72 scale u-boat by Revell? (Feels like a new thread coming on...)
Eichhörnchen is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 06:22 AM   #45
Lexandro
Navy Dude

Downloads: 100

Operation Petticoat.

No, seriously. Saw this back as a kid in with all the great WW2 movies, like Battle of the River Plate, Sink the Bismark!, Ice Cold in Alex etc. Always liked it for the simple comedy.
Lexandro is offline   Reply With Quote