SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-02-17, 10:08 AM   #76
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLF View Post

Reef visible in game on surface (whether OnLand= true or false)

Nothing visible underwater.

And I drove straight through it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar View Post
Confirm that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Yes, that's logical, because the base of the 3D model will always be placed on the sea surface if the model is placed from the Locations.cfg file. But the base should be placed on the sea bed if you create a new land unit and place it with the mission editor.
So a terrain object is always anchored to the sea surface, wether its OnLand property is set to true or false?
To me sounds more logical having the reefs anchored to the seabottom for at least for two reasons:

1 - If the rocks are on land, their base will always be on the seabottom, no matter what sea depth is, thus avoiding the risk of having "floating rocks"

2 - depending on sea depth, a bigger or smaller portion will emerge from water, thus providing more variety in game.

What do you think?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 10:38 AM   #77
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
About the rock, I would prefer a flat base from which some reliefs are emerging. Something like that, but smaller of course :
The base vertices/edges of my current model are on an horizontal plane, just as in the picture you linked to your post. I only removed the flat faces on the base because I thought they would be hidden under the seabed anyway.

Do you want them visible instead?
Old 02-02-17, 11:26 AM   #78
gap
Navy Seal

One last comment for now (sorry for spamming your thread Kendras ): from MLF's and SquareSteelBar's screenies (thank you guys!) it is pretty obvious that the ambient occlusion texture is not rendered on top of the diffuse texture. I suspect the AO texture map to be blocked by the SpecularMask controller also applied to the reef material. Can someone please remove that controller together with its container from the file and/or move them below the "Reef1AO.tga" texture map, and repeat the test?

Another suspect is the "in-memory DX2/3 texture compression" flag that I checked both for the main and for the AO textures, but let's try with the SpecularMask controller first...
Old 02-02-17, 11:49 AM   #79
MLF
Weps

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

Hi Gap,

I assume there was a clash between ID's in your file and something in my set-up. Therefore I remapped IDs and all worked.

The 2nd CTD was my being dumb - hadn't noticed that Kendras had included a Locations.cfg in his mod. Think his called up something not available in my setup.

I found that by changing the Node-Reef1 Node Positioning Translation Y value I could lower and raise the reef in the water, actually submerging it altogether, or having it float in the air.

Here is the your modified .dat file:-

https://www.mediafire.com/?6h7401kv6ca55op

MLF

PS: - didn't see your last post re the ambient occlusion texture. Will give it a go, but maybe tomorrow.
Old 02-02-17, 02:31 PM   #80
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I assume there was a clash between ID's in your file and something in my set-up. Therefore I remapped IDs and all worked.

The 2nd CTD was my being dumb - hadn't noticed that Kendras had included a Locations.cfg in his mod. Think his called up something not available in my setup.

Quote:
I found that by changing the Node-Reef1 Node Positioning Translation Y value I could lower and raise the reef in the water, actually submerging it altogether, or having it float in the air.
Good to know. The model is 27.8 m (i.e. 2.78 game units) high, so if we set the Y translation value of its bone to, let's say, -1.78, the rock would rise 10 m over the sea level, and if placed on waters deeper than ca. 17.8 m, it would "float" rather than laying on the seabed. Easy math, but I think it would be better if we found a way to link the model directly to the terrain.

Quote:
PS: - didn't see your last post re the ambient occlusion texture. Will give it a go, but maybe tomorrow.
Thank you MLF, take your time
Old 02-03-17, 09:17 AM   #81
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon2 Results of tests

So, I placed your reef model and texture in my first mod. The file is placed in data/Terrain/Location, and placement written in data/Terrain/Locations.cfg. I have reworked your 3D model : 150% on Y axis, and 0 height at sea level. In Locations.cfg, if I set "On land=true", then the reef is not visible at all in game. So, I let on "false".

In GAME:

Here at depth = -17 m
(checked in Mission editor). Note that the texture is not applied, the land is grey, but with a stone aspect.

Above water:

Under water:

Under sea bed:

Now, at depth = -28 m, and specular mask deleted. The same texture is applied above and underwater. Other thing : the sea surface is the same on the reef:

Crash test OK:

"Ouch !"

"Help, we are stuck !!! The boat is flooding !!"
Old 02-03-17, 10:06 AM   #82
MLF
Weps

Hi Kendras

Did you use the file I gave link for, or Gap's original file?

I did as Gap asked, moved specular mask down under the "Reef1AO.tga" texture map - no change noticed.

I then deleted the specular mask controller - again no difference noticed.

I then created a Reef1AO Ambiant Occlusion controller - still no difference.

Possibly there has been a change, and in my ignorance I've missed it , so what exactly should I be expecting to see? I have compared my original screenshots with the results of each change and no difference has been noticed.

Can you explain what you did in more detail from your statement "I have reworked your 3D model : 150% on Y axis, and 0 height at sea level. In Locations.cfg, if I set "On land=true", then the reef is not visible at all in game. So, I let on "false".". What do you mean by 150% on the Y axis?

Last edited by MLF; 02-03-17 at 10:53 AM.
MLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 11:28 AM   #83
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Did you use the file I gave link for, or Gap's original file?

Gap's file.

I did as Gap asked, moved specular mask down under the "Reef1AO.tga" texture map - no change noticed.

I didn't try, I think I should.

I then deleted the specular mask controller - again no difference noticed.

Strange.

Can you explain what you did in more detail from your statement "I have reworked your 3D model : 150% on Y axis, and 0 height at sea level. In Locations.cfg, if I set "On land=true", then the reef is not visible at all in game. So, I let on "false".". What do you mean by 150% on the Y axis?
Just a pic to understand:

Old 02-03-17, 11:32 AM   #84
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 615

Quote:
...What do you mean by 150% on the Y axis?
I think he stretched the height of the rock...
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 11:38 AM   #85
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar View Post
I think he stretched the height of the rock...
Yes.
Old 02-03-17, 11:41 AM   #86
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I think it would be better if we found a way to link the model directly to the terrain.
Now, it's better : the model is linked directly to ... the sea level !
Old 02-03-17, 11:53 AM   #87
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Yes, I confirm, the stone remains grey (no texture of weeds).
Old 02-03-17, 01:20 PM   #88
MLF
Weps

Weird that using the file Gap uploaded, your sub crashed into Gap's reef, yet mine and SquareSteelBar's sailed right through SH3 setup differences?

My test setup is patched to 1.4b, with GWX and only 2 mods - Wise's type VIIC and the 4Gb patch.
Old 02-03-17, 01:48 PM   #89
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Weird that using the file Gap uploaded, your sub crashed into Gap's reef, yet mine and SquareSteelBar's sailed right through SH3 setup differences?

My test setup is patched to 1.4b, with GWX and only 2 mods - Wise's type VIIC and the 4Gb patch.
Because I've modified it !

http://www.mediafire.com/file/e5cebi...ef_located.zip

And don't forget :

[Location ###] ; test new lighthouse
Long=-4.755715
Lat=48.043404
Heading=0
OnLand=false
ShowOnMap=true
FileName=islets_reefs_shoals
LocationName=La Vieille
Old 02-03-17, 02:16 PM   #90
MLF
Weps

OK - looking at your .dat file I see you have possibly also solved the AO problem by putting the AO controller under the main material. This worked for me (see screenshots)

I have put your .dat file in the locations folder replacing Gaps initial one.

I then ran up your mission and observed a lighthouse floating in mid-air with no reef in sight????????????? Perhaps I'm tired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AO.jpg (88.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Ambiant Occlusion settings.jpg (81.8 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by MLF; 02-03-17 at 02:46 PM.
MLF is offline   Reply With Quote