SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-18, 12:34 PM   #5806
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I'll try Stock and TMO and get back with you all...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-18, 01:47 PM   #5807
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Myself, I don't want 'em up front, but some folks do.......
Does anyone actually have a bow-mounted deck gun?
I don't know if you are referring specifically to - in FOTRSU or generally speaking.

Anyway, generally speaking, I recall a lively discussion on the fore or aft mounted deck gun subject years ago and was surprised that the vast majority preferred a bow mounted gun.... I've always preferred mine mounted aft. I can still shoot forward mounted aft

During the War, submarine Skippers could specify fore or aft mounted guns on their boats.

Sorry if I went off topic and you were only referring to FOTRSU.

Happy Hunting!
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-18, 03:48 PM   #5808
propbeanie

Yes, I prefer mine behind me also, for them times when ya just gotta run away up top. Kinda hard to shoot through the conn at something chasing you, unless you get about 12 degrees of turn going, but that slows ya down... - 'Course, you arm your boat up like this:

and no issues...

Of which, CapnScurvy, TMO / RSRDC July 1945 out of Guam, which I'm guessing is what the G Man was after... maybe... There is no other choice though with a Tench in RSRDC...

Now, in Stock, I got the same thing as FotRSU, where it would show on the equipment page that I had a bow-mount deck gun, but it was actually aft-mounted. Not only that, but if I "Saved" the game with that particular equipment load-out, and then reloaded that game, I got a repeating "Passing thermal layer" sound... unlike FotRSU though, it doesn't stop. I'm dropping all else to look for that "trigger"...

Old 03-13-18, 05:10 PM   #5809
G Man
Seaman

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

I'm pretty sure the number one tube failure was a one off. All bow tubes were mk14s set to high speed and 10 feet. They'd been loaded for about 12 hours and all 6 outer doors were open for a 90 degree track angle zero gyro shot at a 15 knot troopship. I had a good solution and a range of 2500 yards on a dark night so I was on the surface. I intended to shoot a 3 torpedo salvo longitudinal spread. I tried to fire tube one as the bow passed the reticule and it failed to fire. I checked the tube door and tried to fire again another fail. I took another bearing ahead of the bow and tried again still no good so I cycled to number 2 tube and it fired fine. Tube 3 and 4 worked ok too and I got 2 out of 3 hits which was enough. So all indications were as they should have been and it wasn't finger trouble. As suggested I saved the game and tried it again and tube one worked perfectly that time. Too be honest I don't mine this because things go wrong for real and you just have to deal with it. Frustrating but that's life.
G Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-18, 08:24 PM   #5810
propbeanie

I've had that issue also, though I think mine was 3 & 4, but like you say, in real life, things broke, and sometimes far worse than what the game messes up, and sometimes, there's just no explaining the mess-up...

In the meantime G Man, that shot I have above from TMO / RSRDC, is that what you were after? That is the "default..." Tench boat in that mod, and it only comes that way. You cannot get a single gun on it... I'm still noodling, and CapnScurvy is investigating. I'm sure he'll find what happened. I'm pretty sure the fore- and aft-mount worked previously in FotRSU, though we've never had a dual-mount except on the Narwhal / Nautilus class and some other earlier boats, which come that way in stock...

Old 03-14-18, 01:51 AM   #5811
G Man
Seaman

I was just trying for the single 5inch bow gun. I didn't try for the double mount. I wanted to use the rest of my points for other upgrades. I'll try the other options next time I get chance.
I can see the advantage of a stern gun, not only for defence but in reality it would cause less underwater drag. I go for the bow gun because I've been in fog a number of times with visibility less than minimum torpedo range and I've been able to use radar to get close enough to gun the target from astern. Not easy if you have to weave 12 degrees either side of your base course. Bow and stern guns would be good in game but in reality fleet boats started to get very top heavy towards the end of the war with all the extra kit they were carrying. If I'd been a skipper then I don't think I'd have shipped 2 guns because of the weight.

Last edited by G Man; 03-14-18 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-14-18, 03:37 PM   #5812
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Ok, thanks to you guys who "play" the game much more than I (Believe me modding doesn't have anything to do with "playing" the game!), I've found what's wrong with the Deck Gun Upgrades not correctly showing when you purchase something in-base. Just to recap, the issue had to do with a bow deck gun being purchased, yet only a stern deck gun was provided.

With Ultimate, I had already made the Upgrade System actually work as intended. You get choices as to what to purchase, it displays your choices as selected on the Weapons ans Sensors screen as expected. It takes your Renown as payment, for everything from purchasing a 50 cal Machine Gun, to the 40mm Twin; from an early war SJ Radar set to the ST Night Scope Radar .....the only problem was you didn't get the Deck Gun that you asked for!?!

So, I figured out what went wrong, and now things will be better. What you're going to see in-base is the Crew Management screen is not going to show a Deck Gun at all:

By mouse clicking the center "Tab" at the top of the screen, and going to the "Weapons and Sensors" page you'll notice the Deck Gun box is "Empty":

Depending on the time period, the left hand "Weapons" list will display the available equipment, and its Renown purchase price. I've chosen to spend 200 Renown for a Bow 3 inch .25cal Deck Gun. You just click and drag the choice over to the "Empty" slot and your done. A description of the piece of equipment will be shown on the "In Base" Text Box, if you've purchased the equipment it will also list it within the "On Boat" Box.

Let's say you decide you want the 4 inch .50cal Stern DG instead, you just drag it over to replace the 3 inch. The only trouble is you''ll spend another 400 Renown to do it a second time! So, make your decisions carefully.

I was testing things with different subs, different guns, different time periods and while using the Billfish, I chose a 5 inch .25cal Bow Deck Gun. When you go to the Crew Management screen you'll notice the "Bow Deck Gun" is listed for you to supply the crew to man it:

And unlike before, the next release of Fotrs Ultimate will give you the correct Deck Gun, in the chosen position of your choice:

Sorry for not catching this earlier, but this is exactly why we're still calling the mod a "Beta". We're constantly working on improvements/changes that are ground breaking for player enjoyment. You guys bring up things you notice about the game, we try to fix 'em.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 03-14-18 at 03:47 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-18, 08:33 PM   #5813
propbeanie

Wonnerful wonnerful!

Old 03-15-18, 02:18 AM   #5814
G Man
Seaman

Thanks CapnScurvy great work as usual! Would changing the torpedo loadout of a Tench class be difficult it's currently the loadout for a Gato/Balo and missing the four extra fish a Tench shipped?
Old 03-15-18, 08:42 AM   #5815
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
Thanks CapnScurvy great work as usual! Would changing the torpedo loadout of a Tench class be difficult it's currently the loadout for a Gato/Balo and missing the four extra fish a Tench shipped?
Yes, we can do that.

===============

Regarding the Deck Gun.....I'll have to put a 3.50 stern mount onto all boats as a "default" gun. In other words, using an "Empty" slot for the subs will not work as I outlined. It's not for the Deck Gun use in the Campaign side of the game, this process will work quite well with it. But, its for the Single Missions side of the game. When you play a Single Mission you don't get a choice in picking Weapons or Sensors, it's either on the sub as default, or you don't get it. No ones going to like playing a Single Mission without a Deck Gun, so I've no choice but to add one to the subs inventory. You'll still be able to upgrade as the upgrades become available, and it should still put the gun where you want.

But, to be sure this points out one thing that most players don't realize. A simple request is not so simple. One change in one area, effects other things in other areas. The game engine works in ways that make the most obvious process a hardship in actually doing.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 03-15-18, 03:17 PM   #5816
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
G man my Tench has 6 forward firing torpedo tubes, 4 stern. I don't see a problem with it in Fotrs Ultimate......Do you have any other mods loaded? Did you clean out your Document/SH4 folder to get rid of any previous files that may have come from another mod?

Quote:
Old 03-15-18, 04:04 PM   #5817
propbeanie

He might be looking for the RFB (?? can't remember if that's the correct one ??) version, where they held 4 extra torps in the forward room, as compared with the Gato... ?? From Wikipedia, partial stats (oh so reliable):

Gato
Endurance:
48 hours at 2 knots (3.7 km/h) submerged[3]
75 days on patrol
Test depth: 300 ft (90 m)[3]
Complement: 6 officers, 54 enlisted men[3]
Armament:
10 × 21-inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes
6 forward, 4 aft
24 torpedoes[4]
1 × 3-inch (76 mm) / 50 caliber deck gun[4]
Bofors 40 mm and Oerlikon 20 mm cannon

Tench
Endurance:
48 hours at 2 knots (3.7 km/h) submerged[4]
75 days on patrol
Test depth: 400 ft (120 m)[4]
Complement: 10 officers, 71 enlisted[4]
Armament:
6 forward, 4 aft)
28 torpedoes[6]
1 × 5-inch (127 mm) / 25 caliber deck gun[6]
Bofors 40 mm and Oerlikon 20 mm cannon[2][4][7]

Old 03-16-18, 07:06 AM   #5818
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
He might be looking for the RFB (?? can't remember if that's the correct one ??) version, where they held 4 extra torps in the forward room, as compared with the Gato... ?? From Wikipedia, partial stats (oh so reliable):

Gato
Endurance:
48 hours at 2 knots (3.7 km/h) submerged[3]
75 days on patrol
Test depth: 300 ft (90 m)[3]
Complement: 6 officers, 54 enlisted men[3]
Armament:
6 forward, 4 aft
24 torpedoes[4]
1 × 3-inch (76 mm) / 50 caliber deck gun[4]
Bofors 40 mm and Oerlikon 20 mm cannon

Tench
Endurance:
48 hours at 2 knots (3.7 km/h) submerged[4]
75 days on patrol
Test depth: 400 ft (120 m)[4]
Complement: 10 officers, 71 enlisted[4]
Armament:
6 forward, 4 aft)
28 torpedoes[6]
1 × 5-inch (127 mm) / 25 caliber deck gun[6]
Bofors 40 mm and Oerlikon 20 mm cannon[2][4][7]
Oh, so you think he's referring to the "torpedo reserves"?? That can be done if that's what he's talking about.

Quote:
Old 03-16-18, 12:59 PM   #5819
G Man
Seaman

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, yes it's four reload torpedoes the Tench in Fotrsu is missing. I believe they had an extra two forward and two aft but it may have been an extra four forward. They got the space after rearranging the ballast tanks on the Tench class.
I've just checked an it was an extra four reloads forward.

Last edited by G Man; 03-16-18 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 06:13 PM   #5820
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Sorry I didn't make myself clear, yes it's four reload torpedoes the Tench in Fotrsu is missing. I believe they had an extra two forward and two aft but it may have been an extra four forward. They got the space after rearranging the ballast tanks on the Tench class.
I've just checked an it was an extra four reloads forward.
Well shoot!! I just split the extra 4 between the aft and forward tubes:

No problem, I can change it.

Quote: