SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-16-16, 05:35 AM   #31
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

If I don't complete the patrol objective by selecting the envelope to get a new mission objective I don't crash!
Old 05-16-16, 10:51 AM   #32
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Okay, I think I got it.

Let's say you are stationed at Dutch Harbor and you get a mission to drop off some commando's in the Rat Islands at Kiska Island. That's where the orange star is.

You drop off the commando's and you get a Mission Completed, the star turns grey, and you receive a message to go to an area in patrol area AI-2 - that's where a new orange star is.

You get there, hang around for 48 hours near the orange star, it turns grey, and you get a message to sink 10,00 tons of shipping.

You sink the required tonnage and are told Mission Completed. You're done. You can sink more shipping on your own until you're out of torpedoes but that's all there is. Return to base.

Don't ask for another mission or click the new mission envelope. The game could send you anywhere or crash because Spyron uses its own set of ID numbers for its patrol objectives.

I think this is what's happening..... ???
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 04:08 PM   #33
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Sort of, meaning this last crash, or avoiding it, is what happened. The two other previous crashes no. On one of those, I have rescued one aviator, noticed an (?) anchor placed North of Truk, about 50NM, and changed course to sail to it and game crashed before reaching it. On the other, I had completed the S&D, received a new mission to sale to west of Guam where the rescue symbol appeared but game crashed on the way and before reaching the symbol.
So, I like your analysis, but are you suggesting a solution?
Old 05-16-16, 05:23 PM   #34
aanker
Pacific Thunder

I'm trying to narrow it down and this has me stumped.... almost out of tricks.

You seem to be doing everything right.

SH4.exe isn't set to Read Only, is it? If it was, LAA wouldn't have any effect.

What kid of FPS do you get? In another topic Fitzcarraldo mentioned a graphics program similar to LAA:
http://www.kegetys.fi/d3d-antilag-v1-01/

Here's a thread describing d3d-antilag-v1-01 and its use:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=173605
I'd read the whole topic and if you decide to use it follow the warnings.

As Badger Finn said, "Give it a go you never know!".
Old 05-16-16, 06:32 PM   #35
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

"SH4.exe isn't set to Read Only, is it?" No, Read/Write
"What kind of FPS do you get?" Don't know, don"t know how to find out, never thought I needed to as game runs fine, only lags when I approach large convoys or TFs. I've read posts that this is common.
"I'd read the whole topic and if you decide to use it follow the warnings.
" Didn't understand it, don't know that I need it, so don't see need to use it.
If lag is perceptible, I'm not seeing it.
Have you seen this incidence of crashing when your run Spyron? Could I be the only one?
I'm curious about "because Spyron uses its own set of ID numbers for its patrol objectives." Where are these ID numbers?
Old 05-16-16, 08:00 PM   #36
aanker
Pacific Thunder

In TMO 2.5 and in Stock v1.5 you can see your frame rate with, "Ctrl+F8 Show current frame rate". In-game it is listed in the Help file F1.

I run a heavily modded (by me) game with Improved Stock Environment(ISE) v2.0 plus ISE Realistic Colors and have no lag.

LAA took care of any lag I may have had with a large amount of activity around my boat.

The ID numbers are in PatrolObjectives.cfg found in Data\UPCData\UPCCampaign Data\ and they can be selected through the text file 'PatrolAreas.txt' that goes in the Saved Games folder along with the TBox tool offered on the Spyron site. I think it is called 'The combined files.zip'. With TBox you can select your missions cross referencing with an enclosed Excel spreadsheet that shows when the patrol area is available. It is easier for most people to just run the Spyron campaign and let the game select the missions.
Old 05-17-16, 10:24 AM   #37
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Perhaps I have not installed this MOD correctly. You say "'PatrolAreas.txt' that goes in the Saved Games folder along with the TBox tool offered on the Spyron site"
I only installed Guerilla-Submarine-Spyron-Mod-V1, that has the Data folder, not the Spyron-Maps-Codes_Patrols. I DL'd those but did not "install" them.
I didn't know what to do with those. Can you clarify for me?
Old 05-17-16, 10:38 AM   #38
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
"SH4.exe isn't set to Read Only, is it?" No, Read/Write.......

Yes, it usually is!

I can't speak for all possible downloads of it (like Steam giving you the basic game download using the 1.3 version of the game!?) but the DVD version has the parameter set to "Read-only".

Find your main game files and right click on the "sh4.exe" file:

Open the "Properties" tab.....under the "General" tab, find the "Attributes" section. Make sure the Read-only box is not check marked. If it is, un check it....hit the "Apply" key, saving your change.

Also, make sure the game is installed in something other than the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86) folders. Programs placed in these folders will not be changeable unless you jump through the Windows Administrator Rights hoops.

This recent post of mine may help.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-16, 01:28 PM   #39
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks CapnScurvy, I see where my answer may be confusing. I answered AAnker's question as if he were asking me if my SH.exe was read only. And, after applying LAA I changed the property to not Read only, which on my Mac is a property of Read/Write.
Old 05-17-16, 04:21 PM   #40
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Perhaps I have not installed this MOD correctly. You say "'PatrolAreas.txt' that goes in the Saved Games folder along with the TBox tool offered on the Spyron site"
I only installed Guerilla-Submarine-Spyron-Mod-V1, that has the Data folder, not the Spyron-Maps-Codes_Patrols. I DL'd those but did not "install" them.
I didn't know what to do with those. Can you clarify for me?
No problem, those files are not needed. Spyron runs its campaign automatically just like TMO or Stock. The files are only included in case a player wants to select a specific mission or use the report tool.

So you made sure that sh4.exe was not Read Only before you applied the LAA.

I do know of someone else who ran SH4 on a Mac in some kind of a Windows shell. You must have a lot of memory then..... I don't know anything about Mac's or how that works.

It would be interesting to know what kind of FPS you have in SH4 generally and near a convoy using that Ctrl + F8 command.
Old 05-17-16, 06:37 PM   #41
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Pretty sure that Sh4.exe is LAA. I first encountered the need for more than 2gb when using OTC with 1900 screen res. I applied the 4gb patch to Sh4.exe, ran the game and it fixed the problem. Likewise, it solved the majority of game crashes I was having.
My MacPro has 16 gb of memory. I run Sh4 as a Wineskin app. I've had to modify the key commands to fit my MacPro, but don't have a key combination for cntr-F8, so I don't know how to get the FPS, yet.
Btw, I continue to play the Spyron campaign, have moved to Saipan for my base and concluded two more missions so far without crashing up thru Sept '44.
Old 05-17-16, 07:27 PM   #42
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Yes, I think I misread your answer.

In the "Advanced" menu of the LAA app, you can check if LAA is properly installed by finding your correct path to "sh4.exe", and finding under the LAA column a "True" statement:

=======================

Typically keyboard commands can be found in the Data/Cfg/Commands.cfg file, however there's no entry for FPS there. I assume its hard coded.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 09:22 PM   #43
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Just had another crash. Oct 24, 10:30 AM game time near San Bernardino straight as it turns into Philippine Sea. Could something be missing like a ship, plane, etc. I can't run ME to look into the campaign. I was expecting the TF to come through. Any thoughts?
Old 05-25-16, 11:39 AM   #44
aanker
Pacific Thunder

He mined ports, sub nets, made historic naval battles, and proper port defenses so a player can't just waltz into a harbor and sink three CV's like Stock.

There is probably something big happening near your location. Try going 15 nm SW of Sofu Gan sometime. The air and sea defenses protecting all the capital ships assembled there is something. The Japs used that area to assemble Task Forces.

You're playing in a Windows shell on a Mac. I needed LAA on a Win system with plenty of memory to use this mod without lag and my frame rates still went down near hot areas. Maybe that's what is happening. Quite a few people play this mod on top of TMO 2.5 - plus environmental mods too without crashing.

He only guarantees this will run on Stock. I've learned that it will run on other modded installs because I've read the patrol reports and seen their mod lists.

I wish I could be of more help.
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Old 05-25-16, 12:51 PM   #45
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

"There is probably something big happening near your location."
Yup, if he created the Jap fleet coming thru San Bernardino on Oct 24 then that would be something big. I know I have LAA for SH4.exe, but perhaps this "something" is too big for Wine. You are right in that Wineskins are a Windows shell and it enables up to 4GB memory if the ".exe" is LAA enabled. I'll try and run the same thing on Bootcamp, which enables Win 7. I used to run SHIV that way but found that the game ran faster using Wineskin.

" Try going 15 nm SW of Sofu Gan sometime." I've done that and sank 3 CVs to get my tonnage total up.

Last edited by jldjs; 05-25-16 at 01:35 PM.