SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-17, 05:06 PM   #31
She-Wolf
Watchdog

Downloads: 152
Uploads: 0

beanie, I don't got any mods at all on at present. I reinstalled because I was not getting manual targeting, even though it was setup for that in the options. I now do have manual targeting and am in a new game - but I did not check the folder in Docs. so thank you I will get rid of that toot sweet!
Late now, time for bed, but will get back to the game tomorrow afternoon and try again, and let you know if the problem has gone away
Old 03-04-17, 05:13 PM   #32
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Wolf View Post
I have another frustration getting in the way, which is that when I go to the recognition manual, looking for the 'Maru's, as I have one approaching, the game ctd's. Twice it has done that. I pause the game and leaf through the manual and then. CTD. Maybe this is one of the vanilla bugs Peter warned about.
The stock game doesn't have CTD's when using the Recognition Manual....or the Museum for that matter. It's NOT a stock vanilla game issue.....as long as your stock game is not corrupted by the mods you've been using, there's no CTD's in those areas!

Quote:
ahh.. others have had this problem http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=145604 and the RSRD mod seemed to fix it.. I shall wait to see what you wise ones might say before I do anything I have 1.5 of course.
It's been my impression that RSRDC was the cause of CTD's when looking through the RM....not the cure. The same is true of his Museum. If you go through the entire museum, you'll get CTD's with certain ships/planes that are attempted to be displayed.

The way you can figure out which specific model that's messing up things (least in the Museum), make a note of the ship lists....their all in the specific nationality categories at the top of the page. Then one by one, go down the list. Get sent back to the desktop? It's the next model on your list that was after the previous model that shown good in the Museum.

The trouble of course is........once you know which model(s) are stinkers, what do you do to correct them? As far as my OTC mods (put out by me) I've corrected the models I'd run into for TMO 2.5, or RSRDC v550, or the combo TMO 2.5 & RSRDC v502 when my OTC for RSRDC v502 was used with them. Yea, I've corrected the errors I'd find, especially CTD's of models. Why? Because when a player runs into problems, the first thing they think of....... This mod I've added is messing up my game!!

But, when you start adding other mods into the mix....all bets are off. Anything can happen when mods that weren't designed to work together are changing previously activated mods that are meant to be compatible.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 05:32 PM   #33
She-Wolf
Watchdog

Capn, I did what probeanie said and deleted the folder in Docs, went back in a new game and still got a CTD while going through the manual, even though I had deleted and then reinstalled the game (to the same folder) and did not knowingly add any mods. As you have said that a CTD could not happen with stock I thought I had better check, and I find that I still have all the unmounted mods in the MODS folder, and Webster's GFO is still active.. so the uninstall did not delete them. Tomorrow I shall make sure I start with a fresh, empty and unmodded game and see what happens then!
Thank you all, you are such a lovely bunch
Old 03-04-17, 05:45 PM   #34
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

You are not wrong, but my modpack from TMO_RSRDC_OTC plus my Modpack is devinitiv not the reason for this error.
This package is balanced and works perfectly with Silent Hunter 4 V1.5.

It is currently much better and more mature than FORTSU, as FORTSU will be long in process as well as testing.

This means automatically - I currently offer without compromising the better complete package.
This will probably only change if your FORTSU has been developed and can offer the appropriate modules.

Do not get me wrong - I have the greatest respect for your work.
But quite frankly, you're back in the game right now.

Es grüßt Kptltn. Bleiente
Old 03-04-17, 05:52 PM   #35
She-Wolf
Watchdog

well, I have been in and emptied the MODS folder, deleted the SH4 folder in Docs and started a fresh game and it is still CTD ing when I start going through the manual, looking at Japanese warships... no-one's mod ia to blame.. maybe it is my machine, or my settings. Disappointed, but shutting down now. Night night
Old 03-04-17, 05:56 PM   #36
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

She-Wolf, what version of SH4 do you have? Are you like me with an old v1.2 disk, and a UBoats add-on, or do you have an SH4 Gold edition? DVD or download? Amazon or Steam? Also, what folder are you installing the game into? I can tell you 100% it's not Bleiente's Mod Soup. Something else is messing your install up before you can play it.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 05:59 PM   #37
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ich habe da eine ungefähre Ahnung.
Hast Du den 4GB-Patch oder LAA installiert, ohne dem läuft das Spiel mit Modifizierungen nicht.
Old 03-04-17, 06:08 PM   #38
She-Wolf
Watchdog

propbeanie, this is DVD, SH4 Gold

I am installing to a folder not on C named 'SH4 Wolves of the Pacific'

beanie I think I have found a clue.; the CTD comes when I look at the Kongo battleship in the manual. What does that mean? How do I fix that?
There no mods at all on, not even unpacked ones, so it is not anyone's mod - I don't want you all falling out because of this!

Last edited by She-Wolf; 03-04-17 at 06:20 PM.
She-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 06:31 PM   #39
She-Wolf
Watchdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleiente View Post
Ich habe da eine ungefähre Ahnung.
Hast Du den 4GB-Patch oder LAA installiert, ohne dem läuft das Spiel mit Modifizierungen nicht.
Blei are you asking me about the large address aware thingy and 4gb patch or is this meant for someone else?
Old 03-04-17, 06:35 PM   #40
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
well, I have been in and emptied the MODS folder, deleted the SH4 folder in Docs and started a fresh game and it is still CTD ing when I start going through the manual, looking at Japanese warships... no-one's mod ia to blame.. maybe it is my machine, or my settings. Disappointed, but shutting down now. Night night
A total and clean reinstall of your game is in order. You'll need to delete completely your SH4 game and its accompanying Documents/SH4 folder.

I don't think you've told us how you've installed the game....a Downloaded version (from where)? A Gold Edition DVD? From the kid down the street? What computer Operating System are you putting it on (Windows XP to Windows 10)?
How much memory does your system have?

Yes, lots of questions. But, when the main game is corrupted there's only one thing to do.....clean the computer of the old files, defrag the disk your going to be reinstalling it in, and put it in the proper folder to keep Windows from thinking its some malware that your trying to use. When this game was developed/released, Windows XP was the at-large OS. Since Windows Vista, the OS has looked at older programs like SH4 and figured its going to do you harm if you put it into the wrong folder.....the very default folder that the game install wizard would like to put the game in! So, telling us what OS your using will help in getting the install right.

Once installed correctly, adding a fresh copy of JSGME is in order. PLUS, the very next thing that could have informed you right away if your stock game files are corrupted or not.....Take a JSGME "Snapshot" of your clean game files before ever using the first mod in-game. This is so important!!

From this point on, you should run the stock game to check out its Museum and Recognition Manual. You'll find no CTD's.

By chance you do have an issue.....Then another question is needed to be asked. How much memory does your system have? If you've got 4 gigs of memory or more, you need to add Large Address Aware to your games "SH4.exe" file in order to force the game to use the additional memory you have available. This is important, next to taking the "Snapshot" of your clean game files. Having the game run with the use of additional memory, will do a lot of good...even with the stock game....but more importantly when you mod the game.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 03-05-17, 05:27 AM   #41
She-Wolf
Watchdog

dear Cap'n, I resolved to do all that you suggest before I came on here again - to whit, I uninstalled the game, got rid of all leftover registry entries, squirted anti-corruption fairy dust into all the nooks and crannies of the OS, gave the memory a good talking to - in short, took the bull by the horns by the skin of my teeth and put my foot down with a firm hand - and it worked! Fresh game, fresh folder, no left overs, no mods on, yet.

To answer your q's, it is a Gold DVD, Windows Seven 64 bit with 16 GB DDR3 memory, and I bought the game new, when it first came out. It is installed to a folder not on the C: drive, as is so with all my games, and I do not have the LAA in there (yet, thank you for that advice). I have now taken a 'snapshot' via JSGME as advised. I will also keep a clean copy tucked away. Defragging is automatic, but I will address that issue as well because of this shenanigans, though it should be minimal.

All I have done, so far, is go out on a mission to test if I got a CTD when looking at the manual, and I did not, so the corruption was in my system and is not a product of someone else's mod. It has upset me that folks are bickering about each others mods because of this - I don't come on here to cause trouble.

I do have one question though... where do I find the Japanese merchant ships in the RM? They are not in the Japanese warships section, nor in 'Merchants'.

ps. pretty please, SH4CMS package ( which I have not put on ) has LAA in - can I lift it out of there - do I just copy the file into the root folder for SH4?

Last edited by She-Wolf; 03-05-17 at 05:56 AM.
She-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 07:25 AM   #42
propbeanie

CapnScurvy is the man with the plan for the LAA utility with his TEC - Win10 LAA SH4 Install thread. Full of all of the correct information. In Rockin Robbins package should be a really nice PDF file and he's got all sorts of good info in there. His MultiSH is the newer version, but I'm not sure of the LAA he's got in there. Be governed by CapnScuvy's advice on that. I can't say enough good though about RR's package. That SH4CMS can really save you a lot of time and aggravation, even what you just went through, just by using his utility. You do have to use a brand new, un-played install of the game though.

As for the mods, there is no bickering there. Bleiente has a new version of his Mod Soup (that IS the name of his mod ) and it is a good mix. He was just worried that you'd think it was his mod that caused your trouble. However, I'm like 99.99% it was what I refer to as Cross-Contamination, where after you deactivate a mod, then replay the game, the game pulls it's configuration information from that old save folder, and does literally cross-contaminate your new install. In Rockin Robbins package should be a really nice PDF file and he's got all sorts of good info in there.

Glad you're going now at 100%, now go out there and "Happy Hunting"!

Old 03-05-17, 07:50 AM   #43
She-Wolf
Watchdog

as I have said before, you are a sweetie propbeanie.

I think I have worked out how to implement LAA in SH4 all on my own (!). It gave me a 'success' message - I added it to Fallout 3 as well. However, I will check that thread just to be sure, thank you. I had already added the Corruption Manager package before the problem became evident - but I probably did not implement it, just plonked it in and left it there for future investigation.

Yes, I concur, the problem was all to do with my inept fiddlings, and no-one else. It made me most anxious that there should be 'words' between the modders - they give so much time and effort, don't want to see that goodwill undermined.

I have been back in the game, everything still good ( apart from not finding where the 'Maru's' are kept in RM, but I shall work it out). I feel I have been trouble enough here for now though so big thank you's for all the support and help - you ARE a great bunch!
Old 03-05-17, 08:33 AM   #44
propbeanie

The Maru ships would be under the Merchant vessels in the Recognition Manual. All nations are lumped together there. You are more than welcome for the "help", but that's a community effort, and I get to call you "Sweetie" also, since while I not be as old as CapnScurvy, I'm still classified as "old"...

Old 03-05-17, 08:45 AM   #45
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
as I have said before, you are a sweetie propbeanie.

I think I have worked out how to implement LAA in SH4 all on my own (!). It gave me a 'success' message - I added it to Fallout 3 as well. However, I will check that thread just to be sure, thank you. I had already added the Corruption Manager package before the problem became evident - but I probably did not implement it, just plonked it in and left it there for future investigation.

Yes, I concur, the problem was all to do with my inept fiddlings, and no-one else. It made me most anxious that there should be 'words' between the modders - they give so much time and effort, don't want to see that goodwill undermined.

I have been back in the game, everything still good ( apart from not finding where the 'Maru's' are kept in RM, but I shall work it out). I feel I have been trouble enough here for now though so big thank you's for all the support and help - you ARE a great bunch!
Good to hear things have gotten better with a clean install.

In the stock game, as well as all mods (there's nothing we can do about it) the Merchants are all in one section. If memory serves me, in the stock game there is no flag in that "center area" of the RM cover, or even the word "Merchants" on the cover. Just find the blank "Flag" on the cover and open the manual. I put the "Merchants" name in the flag area just because of that.

I'm not worried about us modders not getting along. I've seen guys come and go with ego's as big as their posts! Ducimus, had a half dozen "Fair well" tours before he finally decided to fade out of service. It's a known fact....not all mods work with each other. Really, the majority of them shouldn't ever be put with another. They just don't mix, unless the provider states they do. Few take the time to make them compatible with each other. As far as I know Bleiente's work is the exception. Good for him!!

Now, you need to keep that stock game clean. So, here's some ideas:

1. Never use mods that aren't compatible with each other. If they don't state their compatible with another (by not stating anything, tells me they are NOT), then don't use them together. JSGME gives you a list of files that are "overwritten" (already changed by a previous mod) when two mods are activated together through JSGME. Read carefully the changes. If the list looks like the second mod is changing files of the first.....its either to its detriment or benefit. You need to either be assured by the second mod that its "compatible" with the first.....or don't use it. If your game savvy, you can determine on your own if it's a safe thing to do. If not so much, heed this warning.

2. Always use the simple idea "last one in, first one out" when removing mods from your game. Let's say you have three mods in-game, and you've decided to remove the second one from the game. Never just remove it before removing the third mod first! Open a path to the mod you wish to deactivate, then replace the mod you pulled out of the way after the in-question mod is out. JSGME does a good job in keeping things straight, but don't confuse it by pulling mods out of sequence.

3. After any mod change, its good to delete your Documents/SH4 folder. The SH4 folder is made every time you first start the game. It's also updated as you play...that's where it keeps your game saves. Yes, you'll lose that favorite mission where you sunk three ships with one torpedo....but clear it out anyway. You never want to replay a saved game that doesn't have the exact same mods activated in-game as when you made the save. Going to be trouble if you do. You'll need to reset your "Options" like screen resolution, but that's a small price to pay for keeping your SH4 files current with the mods you're using.

Speaking of trouble, game saving, and stable game play. Please look at this post of mine on just that. Hopefully you'll find something of value.

4. Check your stock game files often with the JSGME "Compare Snapshot" feature. Pull out all mods from activation, and let JSGME tell you what condition your stock files are in:
DIFFERENT
NEW
REMOVED
SAME

It's the only way of knowing if you have corruption with your original game, outside of suspecting so due to poor game play.

Quote: