SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-09-17, 12:15 PM   #1
Hibblejaybob
Swabbie

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0
Default Ultrawidescreen Menu Fix?

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I've been here, or subsimming in general. I'm trying to get back into things with SH4, but since I last played, I've upgraded to a 2560x1080 monitor.

Now, I've made the resolution changes and everything works perfectly in the game itself - everything fits, nothing is stretched, nothing is cut off.

But in the menus, it's a totally different story! I can't start a campaign as the start button is cut off, and when I get past that, I can't start missions, again, because the button is cut off.

If there was a key to "Accept" and progress to the next screen that would be fine, but all the usual ones don't seem to work (enter, "y", space, etc).

I've seen people talk about this online before, but noones actually discussed a fix - so is there one?

I would be most grateful if someone could help me!

Cheers folks,
Erith aka Hibblejaybob
Hibblejaybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 12:34 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Are you "stock" v1.4, or v1.5 with Uboats? any mods?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 12:40 PM   #3
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

You can't expect this game to render properly on a 2560x1080 resolution when it was designed around a 1024x768 screen resolution. For anyone looking under the hood of the game, there's a very important file called "menu_1024_768.ini" that has its "default" resolution in its title. This file puts those non 3D screen images (like the page screen you've pointed out) into the game. They didn't name it that for nothing.

You're better off using a lower resolution to play the game (allowing all screens to show properly) than thinking a quick fix will do it. No quick fix is available.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 12:41 PM   #4
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibblejaybob View Post
Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I've been here, or subsimming in general. I'm trying to get back into things with SH4, but since I last played, I've upgraded to a 2560x1080 monitor.

Now, I've made the resolution changes and everything works perfectly in the game itself - everything fits, nothing is stretched, nothing is cut off.

But in the menus, it's a totally different story! I can't start a campaign as the start button is cut off, and when I get past that, I can't start missions, again, because the button is cut off.

If there was a key to "Accept" and progress to the next screen that would be fine, but all the usual ones don't seem to work (enter, "y", space, etc).

I've seen people talk about this online before, but noones actually discussed a fix - so is there one?

I would be most grateful if someone could help me!

Cheers folks,
Erith aka Hibblejaybob
Welcome back to the Forums, Erith.

I had a similar problem awhile back. I was using a curved monitor with a 2580x1080 resolution and an aspect ration of 21.9. This would cause the start buttons on the Menu screens to disappear. Try using the resolution of 1920x1080 and aspect ratio of 16.9 and see if that helps any. In other words set the resolution for SH4 at 1920x1080 and aspect ration of 16.9 and see if that helps.

BTW, I never did solve the problem. Ended up selling off that monitor and getting a different monitor to replace it.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 01:44 PM   #5
Hibblejaybob
Swabbie

@propbeanie - Uboats (v1.5) with the TMO mod v2.5

@CapnScurvy - that's the thing. Once you get onto a mission, everything renders perfectly: the GUI even lines up fine. The ONLY issue is in the menus. It is possible to mod games so that the menus display at a different resolution to the game (currently doing it on a few titles). I was wondering if that was possible for SH4.

@cdrsubron7 - Thanks: yours was one of the posts I spotted! The problem with that running the game in 1920x1080 screws up the other monitor - which is set up for recording.
Old 03-09-17, 11:27 PM   #6
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69

@Hibblejaybob
I too had an issue with a widescreen monitor (16:9, 1920x1080) but in my case the menus and game itself were "stretched" along the horizontal axis.
I found a download that replaces the SH4.exe and one of the camera files, and it worked for me, including the menus.
OF course, don't forget to backup the files you're going to replace just in case it doesn't work for you, should you wish to try it.

Link: http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30590

Look for post #5 in that thread for the download link.
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 12:26 PM   #7
Hibblejaybob
Swabbie

@zero niner - thanks, I had come across that fix too. Sadly, as the OP of the thread said afterwards, that fixes a lot but not the menu.

Not to worry! I am working on a fix of my own! If it's successful, I'll post it here so others can use it.
Old 03-28-17, 03:24 AM   #8
The Fly
Nub

Downloads: 179
Icon10 21:9 2580 x 1080

[i meant 2560 x 1080]

Hello all,

First time poster, long time user. A big thank you and appreciation to all you great modders out there.

I myself have a 21:9 screen (great for Il-2), and was doing some fiddling.

This download on this page fixes the "stretching problem", the menu is in place and game looks good.

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30590

It seems to do this by forcing the game to simply expand the image within the correct ratio. The result being that you are missing probably the edge of the screen by maybe a centimetre.

This is not a problem in game at all...however, in both Observation and attack periscopes the bearing numbers at the top are in the cut off section(UZO & deck gun are fine).

Does anybody know how to re-position those numbers?
The Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-17, 04:43 AM   #9
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > The Fly
Support The New SH4 Mega Mod Project FOTRSU > 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.56 PublicBeta_EN
Steam Conversion SH4 Installation Instructions By ValoWay
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-17, 10:02 AM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

The Fly!After a five year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote