Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-06-18, 01:49 PM   #1
PULSEOX
Helmsman

Downloads: 417
Uploads: 0
Default Rotate Periscope without mouse?

I have been a SH fan since the original game...I just bought a new computer which allowed me to finally be able to install SH5. I have installed TWoS and am enjoying the steep learning curve. But I found the W-A-S-D keyboard layout extremely hard to get used to-I keep hitting the arrow keys to move and mess up the rudder setting. I installed a mod with the SH4 keyboard and now can move around the boat with the arrow keys...but for some reason they don't work to rotate the scope. I have very little space on my desk and I have to drag the mouse in little increments which is very slow, and frustrating. Does anyone know of a way to rotate the scope WITHOUT the mouse? Is there a way to map it so the arrow keys would do that as well? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old 06-06-18, 05:42 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi P
Alternative Keyboard controls to W-A-S-D uses the arrow keys in the same way as moving around in the maps.
Church's SHV 1.01 Keyboard Commands > Replaces The W-A-S-D Keys > Enable JSGME Last

Post #432 Keyboard Changes Needed In The Options File Editor Viewer (OFEV) with Church's SHV 1.01 Keyboard Commands 1.1 Mod > Pictorial

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-18, 08:26 PM   #3
PULSEOX
Helmsman

Downloads: 417
Default Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Old 06-09-18, 04:16 AM   #4
Hegemony Cricket
Watch

Downloads: 48
Default Keyboard control for periscope...

Hi guys,

I have nerve damage in my hand that makes it difficult to properly control the periscope. I would like to use something like the keyboard arrows for the job. I looked at the Churchill mod pics, but I'm not seeing in there any left/right/aim up/aim down periscope controls for the keyboard. Am I missing something there? If not, does anyone know a way to do the job?

I am currently experimenting with the SHKeymapper app. I can edit the commands.cfg file in the app, but there isn't any difference in the game. I am running the TWoS mod. Might that make a difference?

Thnx,
Hegemony Cricket

Last edited by Hegemony Cricket; 06-09-18 at 10:15 AM.
Hegemony Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 02:16 PM   #5
tkragelj96
Swabbie

Downloads: 138

Somewhat late but better late than never, right? In case someone else wanders here with the same question - this is possible if you use one of the programmable keyboards; many support simulating mouse movement via keys.

It's not as smooth as if game would implement it natively (like SH3 or 4). This usually works by you pressing or holding one of pre-programmed keys to switch to alternative "layer" in which you pre-program certain keys to simulate mouse (WASD or cursors for example). You also need to either press mouse button on actual mouse, or program one of the keys to simulate it because SH5 requires mouse to be pressed in order to move view around...

Those keyboards that allow mouse simulation typically ramp speed up as you hold mouse keys, they start slowly and then gradually speed is increased. Some keyboards also allow you to setup this ramp. Given these are usually high end mechanical keyboards (with corresponding price), you may want to check with manufacturer before purchasing. Also make sure the keyboard you're interested in actually supports mouse - not all do!

Anyhow, just my 2 cents, probably not everyone is aware of this possibility so hope it will be useful for someone...
tkragelj96 is offline   Reply With Quote