SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-13-16, 11:45 PM   #1
rentacow
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 0
Default Bangor Press Release (4 Star) RA mod

MADE WITH RA MOD
To get the mission copy this information into a blank .mu file:

http://pastebin.com/9mE2JZbd

Alternatively, you can download the .mu file from my from my dropbox here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/26u3b3blke...elease.mu?dl=0

This is a 4 star, hard mission and recommended for single player or 2+ player co-op. Radio person must read the information carefully!
MISSION TEXT:

Recently the media has been pushing the usual sensationalist agenda, big time. We need you to bring along a small group of AFN journalists shooting a piece on what it is we REALLY do. Go out there and re-assure anyone who watches the segment, we have absolute command and control over our territorial waters. Track the neutral shipping and let the reporters listen to the whales or something. It's great PR. Obviously, you and your crew should remain thoroughly diligent in case of the unexpected.

NOTICE: The EPA restricts the use of military grade low-medium frequency active sonar within the Puget
Sound to prevent harm to marine life. Do not use active sonar or you will be penalized!

Further Real-Life Info:
<<< Actual footage of your submarine from a civilian perspective, leading to your punishment for disobeying the secondary orders.

General news article:

http://sanjuanislander.com/news-arti...protect-whales

Save the whales!

Last edited by rentacow; 09-14-16 at 06:02 PM.
rentacow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 05:32 AM   #2
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2
Icon14

Ehi, rentacow, thanks for sharing this! And nice idea for a mission!
Just a question (I'm a noob when speaking about mission creation) I opened it both in the MissEd (mission editor ) and with a text editor and noticed 2 scripts ('end mission' and 'garbage collection').

These scripts are not "linked" to any trigger... It was easy to connect 'end mission' to the appropriate goal trigger.

It is for me less obvious to understand to which trigger I should connect 'garbage collection' as I see it removes two platforms but I am not able to find them in the mission even if I could see their IDs numbers...

Any advice?

(I have opened the .mu mission in a DW modded with LwAmi)
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 07:12 AM   #3
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by banryu79 View Post
Ehi, rentacow, thanks for sharing this! And nice idea for a mission!
Just a question (I'm a noob when speaking about mission creation) I opened it both in the MissEd (mission editor ) and with a text editor and noticed 2 scripts ('end mission' and 'garbage collection').

These scripts are not "linked" to any trigger... It was easy to connect 'end mission' to the appropriate goal trigger.

It is for me less obvious to understand to which trigger I should connect 'garbage collection' as I see it removes two platforms but I am not able to find them in the mission even if I could see their IDs numbers...

Any advice?

(I have opened the .mu mission in a DW modded with LwAmi)
Well, I would recommend not opening an RA mission with LwAmi. They have different object databases and the mission may not load properly, depending on which objects are in the mission.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 07:25 AM   #4
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Well, I would recommend not opening an RA mission with LwAmi. They have different object databases and the mission may not load properly, depending on which objects are in the mission.
Yes, I understand this, anyway the specif problem I'd like to 'solve' is about the connections between triggers and associated scipts.
These connections are "missing" even in the raw text file version of the .mu mission (I mean, just open the unchanged text of the mission and examine the triggers, with a good text editor is easy and fast to do, I use TextPad...) so I think -more correctly, I assume- the modded database is not involved...
Old 09-14-16, 07:38 AM   #5
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by banryu79 View Post
Yes, I understand this, anyway the specif problem I'd like to 'solve' is about the connections between triggers and associated scipts.
These connections are "missing" even in the raw text file version of the .mu mission (I mean, just open the unchanged text of the mission and examine the triggers, with a good text editor is easy and fast to do, I use TextPad...) so I think -more correctly, I assume- the modded database is not involved...
OK, just making sure! I feel if it was viewed in the Mission Editor, and these triggers dealt with database objects that don't exist in LwAmi, it may remove them from the triggers. If you're seeing that in a text editor, then yes, that is interesting.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 07:47 AM   #6
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
OK, just making sure! I feel if it was viewed in the Mission Editor, and these triggers dealt with database objects that don't exist in LwAmi, it may remove them from the triggers. If you're seeing that in a text editor, then yes, that is interesting.
Yes, I first downloaded the complete .mu file and opened in the MissEd and noticed the problem.
Then I decided copy&paste the raw text grabbed directly from the pastebin source into a new text file in TextPad to investigate, and found the two scripts "sitting" there with no connection to the triggers...
Old 09-14-16, 10:22 AM   #7
rentacow
Machinist's Mate

Those scripts must have been added by the editor automatically. I will double check there are no artifacts left behind from creating the mission.
Old 09-14-16, 10:48 AM   #8
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentacow View Post
Those scripts must have been added by the editor automatically. I will double check there are no artifacts left behind from creating the mission.
Thank you for the clarification!
Old 09-14-16, 11:20 AM   #9
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Nice mission.

In single player scenario you can add for example touch3.wav to text report. It is very helpfull to hear "click" sound when message appears.

In MP games adding sound files don't work properly because all players can hear sound from host.
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 06:07 PM   #10
rentacow
Machinist's Mate

Updated to (probably) final version:
http://pastebin.com/9mE2JZbd

or via dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/26u3b3blke...elease.mu?dl=0

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions (touch3.wav file) and catching the few left over scripts from the missions very early beginnings a few days ago. I have polished up everything I can think of for now. Of course I will always think of something. If I had to make one more change I would improve the scoring system, even though it works okay as is.

A heads up for multiplayer: It seems that not all players will see any triggered radio messages. I'm not sure if this can be fixed.

Let's see now if anyone can beat it!
Old 09-16-16, 04:46 PM   #11
PL_Cmd_Jacek
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 207

Hi Rentacow,

I played the mission several times. It's really interesting. But I think, that you should add additional Fishing Boats with EMCON. Currently it is very easy to find enemy submarines and sink them.
Old 10-10-16, 03:13 AM   #12
Italian Captain
Seaman

Downloads: 17

I've played this mission and I found it very funny!
Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Italian Captain; 10-17-16 at 06:49 AM.
Italian Captain is offline   Reply With Quote