SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-29-13, 07:57 PM   #1
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19
Default US_NavalBases.mis

I used the mission editor back in 2009 to hack that file, adding a new resupply base closer to the action. It had a stationary sub tender and tanker with a few patrolling destroyers, and worked very well. I'm now trying to add another, and in the process screwed up the first, and can't for the life of me remember how I did the first one.

The bases themselves work fine for resupply, the only problem I'm having is disappearing ships - I place one, set it as a docked ship zero speed, uncheck the "Delete on last waypoint" box and save, but for some reason it's not in the game and it's gone the next time I open the LandUnitsLayer US_NavalBases.mis in the editor. What am I doing wrong here?
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-13, 09:51 PM   #2
Sniper297
The Old Man

Maybe I should rephrase this, am I doing anything right?

I'm using "Open LandUnits Layer" to open US_NavalBases.misto place these ships, should I be using a different menu option and/or opening a different .mis file to add anchored ships in these supply ports?
Old 01-29-13, 11:57 PM   #3
Sniper297
The Old Man

Restored a zipped backup with my original hack;

And there's all the stuff at the original addon base.

And they're all present & accounted for whatever year I start a career. Trouble is trying to remember how I did it in the first place, none of the keyword searches I've tried turned up any clues.
Old 01-30-13, 03:26 AM   #4
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
I used the mission editor back in 2009 to hack that file, adding a new resupply base closer to the action. It had a stationary sub tender and tanker with a few patrolling destroyers, and worked very well. I'm now trying to add another, and in the process screwed up the first, and can't for the life of me remember how I did the first one.

The bases themselves work fine for resupply, the only problem I'm having is disappearing ships - I place one, set it as a docked ship zero speed, uncheck the "Delete on last waypoint" box and save, but for some reason it's not in the game and it's gone the next time I open the LandUnitsLayer US_NavalBases.mis in the editor. What am I doing wrong here?
The base is really all you need for the resupply, this ships just make it seem more realistic.
Your mistake is saving and opening as a "LandUnit Layer". Saving as a Land Unit does just what it says it saves ONLY "Land Units" which is the naval base in this case, the ships do not save. Just save as a Normal mission but you will have to go to the Mission menu, and in Parameters check "Ignore Player Units" and DO NOT put a sub in the mission.

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-13, 10:47 AM   #5
Sniper297
The Old Man

Crud, I was hoping to add a couple of S boats tied up to the tender. Anyway opening as a normal mission I get this kind of thing;

Obviously the bases don't actually need waypoints since this ain't an earthquake simulator so they shouldn't be going anywhere, but the rest of these errors are with stuff that I didn't put in, those units were from the stock game AFAIK. I checked those three and all are set as docked, so what's with the "too close" errors?
Old 01-30-13, 02:06 PM   #6
Sniper297
The Old Man

go to the Mission menu, and in Parameters check "Ignore Player Units"

That appears to be the key to the whole thing, with that checked on it ignores any errors and just saves it.

That's what I got so far for the secret Luzon Straits resupply base, added a couple of shore batteries to defend it - the Marines have landed.

To do list;
1. Figure out where the trees and bushes are, add camouflage to the tender - something like that you would normally have a steep shore with deep enough water close to the edge with netting and brush, that could be faked with just a small strip of land with a line of palm trees, or trees set on the masts.
2. After testing figure out how to package and upload the little beast for those who are interested.

That's what it looks like after the fall of Java, instead of shifting to Australia and having to go 2000 miles just to get to where the fun is, the new base is closer to the action and resupply is only 1500 miles from Tokyo.
Old 01-31-13, 03:05 PM   #7
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Crud, I was hoping to add a couple of S boats tied up to the tender. Anyway opening as a normal mission I get this kind of thing;

Obviously the bases don't actually need waypoints since this ain't an earthquake simulator so they shouldn't be going anywhere, but the rest of these errors are with stuff that I didn't put in, those units were from the stock game AFAIK. I checked those three and all are set as docked, so what's with the "too close" errors?

Two things:
1. When I said don't put a "Player Unit", I mean don't set it as "Human Control" if it is going to put into the Campaign/Career. If it is just a "Single mission" then obviously you will need a player unit. If it is for the Campaign you can put in subs just Don't select Human control, you will be assigned a human control sub when leave base and having two may cause problems.

2. As for the too close, that usually happens when they are docked ships as you pointed out. The mission editor checks how close the ships are so they do not run into each other when the mission starts, that is why docked ships are usually too close to each other. But since they are not moving it does not matter. Another common warning is the first waypoint is too close. Sometimes if the waypoint is too close the ship can not change direction that fast depending on how close it is. So by placing it farther away it gives the ships time to get up to speed and if it is a group they get into position before they have to maneuver.
Also if you note they are all "Warnings" and you can ignore "warnings", If it is an "Error" it must be corrected or the mission will not save.

"Warning" you can ignore
"Errors" you must fix.

Edit: One more point, according to the "SH3 Mission Editor Manual" ALL units must have waypoints. All it really does it help you position it and face it in the right direction. So you don't need to worry about it, but you will get a warning. This mission editor for Sh4 does not have a manual, but it is almost the same program, with a few changes.

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Last edited by peabody; 01-31-13 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-31-13, 09:34 PM   #8
Sniper297
The Old Man

Yeah, further testing shows that for this type of "mission" the "Ignore player submarine" is the key to the whole thing. Place and align anything with no waypoints wherever you want, as long as that "Ignore player submarine" is checked on it will accept anything. Playtesting is important tho;

Put the static scenery subs too close to the tender or each other and they have collisions when the seas get rough. Only thing I've been unable to find is trees and bushes, environmental apparently only has icebergs.
Old 01-31-13, 11:50 PM   #9
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Put the static scenery subs too close to the tender or each other and they have collisions when the seas get rough. Only thing I've been unable to find is trees and bushes, environmental apparently only has icebergs.
Is there a way to change the land contours so you would have a sheltered place where the seas will be calm?
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-13, 12:21 AM   #10
Sniper297
The Old Man

Not that I can find, I think this is purely a mission editor and not a scenery editor like you usually find in trainsims or flightsims. For its intended purpose, carrying the war closer to the enemy, it works well with what I got now - so the remaining question is how do I upload it, assuming there's any interest in this kind of mod? I don't see an upload button or FTP page anyplace.
Old 02-01-13, 02:02 AM   #11
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Is there a way to change the land contours so you would have a sheltered place where the seas will be calm?
There actually is a program to do that, but not the mission editor. Someone used it to make the Panama Canal among other things. I think it was Terrain Extractor and Repacker. It takes a while to learn to use it, at least for me. I don't know if I still have it hanging around or not.

Old 02-01-13, 02:17 AM   #12
Sniper297
The Old Man

Yeah, main question right now is how do I upload to the file library? It will be open source so anyone can take over and improve on it if they wish, right now I just don't see how you're supposed to upload mods.
Old 02-01-13, 08:30 PM   #13
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
There actually is a program to do that, but not the mission editor. Someone used it to make the Panama Canal among other things. I think it was Terrain Extractor and Repacker. It takes a while to learn to use it, at least for me. I don't know if I still have it hanging around or not.
Thanks Peabody, I thought I remembered reading/seeing some posts where someone was trying to make coral reefs or shoals or something like that.

If you did make a sheltered cove or harbor, it would be calmer, would it not?

Quote:
main question right now is how do I upload to the file library?
I think you would have to get in touch with a moderator for something like that.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-13, 09:47 PM   #14
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

It is the GWX Terrain Extractor by Ref :)
- GWX_SH4TerrainEX.rar

Too bad that wasn't a trivia question........ lol

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-13, 10:24 PM   #15
Sniper297
The Old Man

Might be a bit beyond my current skills, I can't even figure out how to upload a mod at the moment. The basic resupply base mod is ready to go now, I'm fooling around with a fleet action - start an Asiatic career in Manila, there's a Japanese fleet coming into Manila Bay on the 9th. Add one US battleship and a heavy cruiser, couple of light cruisers and destroyers, trying to time them so the player can get close to the enemy fleet before the friendlies so the player can whittle down the odds a bit (4 heavy cruisers and 2 Fuso class battleships, along with a Shokaku class carrier that I can't figure out how it got in there).

Cool way to start a career, right in the middle of a fleet engagement resulting from a surprise attack.

Couple items;
1. Starting times don't work right, the usual starting time for the player in a career is 1600 on the 9th, so I set the Japanese fleet to start at 1600 and the Americans to start at 1700 so I have a head start with the S class. No joy, they all ignore the hour and just start when the career starts (which is apparently also a variable time), so I had to add back and forth waypoints to delay the American response, still trying to tweak that.
2. Torpedoed the carrier but it didn't sink, gunfire from one of the US cruisers finished him off - you get no credit for sinking it unless yours is the last shot apparently.
3. Starting with a Sargo class instead of a Sugar boat I managed to get to the enemy before anyone else, but when I fired two fish at a Takao class cruiser one of our Clemson class destroyers ran between me and the target and intercepted one of the fish. Got friendlies in the area gotta watch where you're shooting.
3. One test with an S and one with a Sargo so far, the battle is really cool but haven't been able to turn the tables enough to save any of the friendlies. It is a little unbalanced;

Japanese fleet;
2 destroyers
4 heavy cruisers
2 battleships
1 rogue carrier from who knows where

Americans coming in piecemeal from all over the bay;
3 destroyers
2 light cruisers
1 heavy cruiser
1 battleship
player sub

The goal is to knock off the enemy while keeping half the friendlies afloat, haven't pulled it off yet. Since this is the US_NavalBases.mis I'm adding this to, the next thing to test is will it just do that at the beginning of the Asiatic career, or will it repeat for every new patrol started in that career?