SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-08-08, 08:40 AM   #676
Boris
Sea Lord

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0

You guys are awesome!
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 08:48 AM   #677
linerkiller
Captain

Downloads: 36

@Mykhayl, an answer to the question about Schnellboot aces:
On September 8 1943, Taranto Naval Base-Italy.
Oberleutnant z See Klaus Degenhard Schmidt was the commander of the last remaining Kriegsmarine task group in the Southern Italy. His forces are the Schnellbooten S-61 ( under his direct command), S-54 commanded by Obersteuermaat Friedel Blomker ( the LtCmdr of this boat was temporarily in a German hospital due to an illness) and a minelayer barge. They must leave the harbour immediately because the political situation was very hot. They embarked torpedoes and mines and they set sail that night. They mined Taranto harbor while they left the harbor and they set sail for Venice.
The next daya British force entered the harbor and the mines left by Schmidt sank the cruiser-minelayer HMS Abdiel and a tug boat.
Schmidt and his taskforce steamed northward and the morning of 9 they decided to sink the motorbarge because of an engine breakdown. Then they narrowly missed an encounter with an Italian battleship force that was steaming for Malta, but instead they sank an Italian DD, an old gunship and captured three merchant ships for some 17 000 tons. The morning of 13th September they finally entered in the harbor of Venice with the captured merchants, pushing the local authorities to surrend the town to the German ground forces that were surrounding the city.
Unfortunately the heroic commander didnt survived the war, he was killed during an S-boot raid in the English Channel in 1944.

"When we realized that our clubbing and kickings were being administered by the burned, mutilated survivors of our handiwork, we found we could take it with less prejudice." Captain Richard "Dick" O'Kane-USS Tang
http://www.youtube.com/user/willembrock
linerkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 09:06 AM   #678
Jib01
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
This may have been discussed already but will we be able to view the torpedo launch from the deck or from external view ?

Regards
Jib01

Awsome work on this. Ubi should hire you.....
Old 03-08-08, 09:35 AM   #679
Boris
Sea Lord

Downloads: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jib01
This may have been discussed already but will we be able to view the torpedo launch from the deck or from external view ?

Regards
Jib01

Awsome work on this. Ubi should hire you.....
The torpedos are quite visible from the bridge as they leave the tube on the new model.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 11:14 AM   #680
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I've resisted the temptation to d/l anything thus far.....that'll cease when the next version is released

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 11:38 AM   #681
linerkiller
Captain

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
@ LK : that's quite an epic story that makes a huge difference with the dry report found here http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg...t/serf-med.htm (I used these to set the "s-boot aces" page), if you have more ...
I have forgotten to mention the sinking of the small armed trawler Vulcania ...
The destroyer Quintino Sella was sunk in a quite rambo way....
Before being captured, the merchant Pontinia ( not pontonia as referred in the link ) send a distress signal that was receved by the dd, which was few miles away. S-54 was ordered to withdraw beyond the horizon, while S-61 lined with the merchant hiding from the destroyer sight.the DD then tried to circle around the stationary cargo ship, but when they discovered the hided Sboot it was too late, a torpedo was already on his way, and before the italians managed to fire a single shot their ship exploded. Schmidt and Blomker managed to pick up less than 50 sailors.

Learned all this with that book, unfortunately is available only in Italian.
http://www.internetbookshop.it/code/...settembre.html

"When we realized that our clubbing and kickings were being administered by the burned, mutilated survivors of our handiwork, we found we could take it with less prejudice." Captain Richard "Dick" O'Kane-USS Tang
http://www.youtube.com/user/willembrock
linerkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 02:47 PM   #682
Glykol02
Nub

Downloads: 0

Maybe this advertising could be used in the career menue screen or something.

Sorry for the cutted edge on bottom, picture was printed on the margin of the page ..
Glykol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 05:04 PM   #683
Gewehr98
Mate

Downloads: 2

Maybe you could use this footage somewhere?

Gewehr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 05:14 PM   #684
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Great footage

Old 03-08-08, 05:30 PM   #685
Gewehr98
Mate

Downloads: 2

Also, here are some hull lines from the S-26 class...not sure how well they correlate to the S-100s, or if anyone actually wants to take the time to get the new model's hull to match these!

Gewehr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 08:39 PM   #686
Templar_4450th
Watch

Downloads: 31

Been a long-time lurker here, recently getting back into SHIII after a bit of time in the pacific. I've got to say, Mikhayl, this project is more exciting than any other i've seen for SHIII and IV. I've been hoping that captainable Torpedo and Motor Gun Boats would be a reality at some point, I'm very happy to see this coming to fruition!

I also have a few suggestions for future builds:

1: Torpedo launch speed - I don't know how the Schnellboot compares to the elco in launch time, but it seems to me that it takes a bit too long for the torpedo to launch from the open tube and splash down into the water. Given the fact that it is being launched via compressed air, that thing should be out of the tube and into the water in the blink of an eye. <EDIT> I didn't see the new video before posting, launch time looks much better now, still a bit too slow in my opinion, but much improved.

2: The SHIII AI limitations of FLAK Vs. Surface targets - I know that getting your crew to fire the 3.7cm or 2cm cannons at ground targets is pretty much an exercise in futility due to the game engine...but why not make one of the three FLAK guns a "deck gun" according to the game? The bow 2cm cannon, (forgive me if I'm wrong) was quite difficult to use against aircraft due to the mounting system used...so why not make the bow 2cm cannon a "deck gun" and arm it with HE rounds? This would still give the Schnellboot the dual 2cm amidships, and the aft 3.7cm cannon for anti-air duty, but would also give the AI the capability to sink small coastal vessels or other Torpedo boats with the foreward 2cm. I know giving the forward 2cm cannon HE rounds and making it fireable against only surface ships is unrealistic, but so is making a sim where your crew only fires FLAK guns at aerial targets

3: RADAR for late model Schnellboots - I have no idea how common this configuration was, but it would be pretty cool to have a little extra warning:
http://www.prinzeugen.com/SchnellSignals.htm

Thanks for hearing me out, I tend to get a bit long winded in my posting if it's something exciting
Templar_4450th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 09:34 PM   #687
Templar_4450th
Watch

Downloads: 31

Quote:
there's some kind of limitation due to the fact the boat is based on the type II. If I had based that mod on a type VII or IX from the beginning I'm 99% sure that it would be working by now.
Ahh that does make sence! It's a shame SH is so finicky. Honestly, the main reason I had hoped for an AI gunner using the forward 2cm is so that he would be firing at the same time that I would be manning the 3.7 cm. Plus, you must admit, it would be pretty cool to see that bow 2cm gun blazing as you close the distance to let loose torpedos

I'm currently fiddling around with skwas's editor, looking for some way to get an operational deck gun on a Type IIa, i'll let you know if I figure something out!

Also, I'm looking into editing the flotilla and patrol files to make them more condusive to S-boot operations, do you know of any sources for information on Schnellboot base locations? I'm pretty sure there was one in Cherbourg, and another in Le Havre, but weren't there a few near russia as well? What about the Mediterranean, Baltics, Black Sea?

This opens up so many unique (not to mention fun) possibilities
Thanks for all your hard work, Mikhayl!
Templar_4450th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 07:12 AM   #688
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Welcome aboard Templar_4450th

Due to the limitations imposed on the modding of the programme by the game engine, I don't believe it's currently possible to upgrade the power of a single 20mm in isolation, without it having the same effect on every 20mm in the game.

That would mean there would be a disproportionate damage effect on an S-boot attacking a merchant for example and the damage then received in return by the S-boot from said merchants 20mm guns.

I sincerely hope you are successful in developing a fix.

Old 03-09-08, 07:25 AM   #689
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
About the flotillas stuff, Jaesen "JScones" has worked on it already but this has to wait for GWX 2.1. I don't have much info yet except that the 1-2-3-4-5 S-boot flottilas will be available.
Jaesen if you have a moment between 2 Commander lines for some details
Correct. 1 through 5 S-Flotillas. Provides a nice spread that gives players the option of sailing around Poland, Norway, Holland, England, France, Finland, Belgium, the Med and the Black Sea.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:00 PM   #690
mkubani
Lieutenant

Downloads: 0

Really cool animation. Just a quicky. Isn't the speed of door opening too slow? I have no idea how it was in a real life, it just seems quite slow to me.
mkubani is offline   Reply With Quote