SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-27-08, 02:43 PM   #616
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Just a report on the latest version, so far no CTD.

Moved to the Med July 43.

The C38 Flak gun seems to fire rounds off a bit to fast, blink and it's over.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 05:55 PM   #617
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallydedpoet
Some folks at SH4 may feel this way, but certainly not all. With time attitudes have gotten better, there will still be those posts ( in both forums ) that make you shake your head , but it is improving.

At the end of the day we are fortunate to have two great games to mod and sim in

RDP
Your correct RDP.
I should have stated SOME people.
Or better yet, just left the whole statement out.
(But you have to admit, being accused of "Atrocities to Modding" does bit deep!)
:rotfl:
It is nice to see the people in both Seas working as a kind of loose Team.
Old 02-27-08, 09:44 PM   #618
Mush Martin
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Well kind of loose anyway

Tutorial
Mush Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 10:33 PM   #619
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer
Quote:
Some folks at SH4 may feel this way, but certainly not all. With time attitudes have gotten better, there will still be those posts ( in both forums ) that make you shake your head , but it is improving.

At the end of the day we are fortunate to have two great games to mod and sim in

RDP
Your correct RDP.
(But you have to admit, being accused of "Atrocities to Modding" does bit deep!)
And while we're on the topic - now that a German campaign in SHIV, when oh when shall we see these little beasts (no, not the modders, the E-boats!) on the new engine? :hmm:

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 12:10 AM   #620
Boris
Sea Lord

Downloads: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer
Quote:

RDP
Your correct RDP.
And while we're on the topic - now that a German campaign in SHIV, when oh when shall we see these little beasts (no, not the modders, the E-boats!) on the new engine? :hmm:
I had this thought too...
Personally I'd like to see any move of SH3 content to the new engine as soon as possible, but I have no idea how hard this would be.
If this mod was moved over to the SH4 engine, then it would be pioneering the way, having to create all the Atlantic infrastructure... However the small operational area of the S-Boot might make it a good place to start.
Also a lot of work, especially with the menu and GUI would have to be done over and in different ways, given how different these are in SH4. I'd be for it though, but I can't do it.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 12:16 AM   #621
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Fair question. I have a sneaking suspicion though that the SHIII campaign files could basically be adapted to SHIV with some batch text editing and possibly splitting rather than creating all new content. The format remains the same. The content is largely similar. The main issue would be adding back or substituting the ships that were available in SHIII but aren't in SHIV.

But you're right, for the S-boats, it probably wouldn't be much more complicated to create the traffic from scratch. Especially if, say, we started with only a Channel campaign.

If I have the time, I'll look into it. I haven't had much to even play this one lately...

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 03:42 AM   #622
Aces
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 211

@Mikhayl,

Hi mate, I posted to the wrong thread LOL, the effects of a tired brain or another "senior" moment by me

I ran out of time yesterday evening but I've nearly got the mission finished and should be able to get some more done this evening but Saturday's my first clear day to have a really good session.

Looking excellent, again, my cograts to all involved in this brilliant mod..

Cheers

Leigh (Aces)

PS. I've set a top speed of 36Kts is that in keeping with the speed you use ? although I've found a few references to speeds above 40Kts, that's presumable in a calm sea with the wind behind them
Also did you see my question regarding is it possible to have both watch crew and flak crews on deck at the same time??.

Last edited by Aces; 02-28-08 at 03:54 AM.
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 05:06 AM   #623
Boris
Sea Lord

Downloads: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl

@CCIP & Boris : since S3D works for both SH3 & 4 I guess that yes the s-boot could be more or less easily ported to SH4. The main problem I can see right now is that I don't have SH4
Since I never even tryed it, what do you think would be really better if you could play the mod in SH4 ? (It's a real question)

Now about the mod, I've just downloaded Skwasjer new version of S3D and at first look it really rocks, I'm gonna add a third rudder and a third propeller (all working) right away
Maybe that's a question we should put to the community, but personally I see it as the way forward. The SH3 engine, although it still looks quite nice, is pretty outdated, and much nicer effects are available in SH4. A major issue is the ability to change screen resolutions and support for widescreen monitors, not to mention the transparent water, much further view distances and hugely improved load times.

However, it's no picnic. It's not just about porting over the S-Boot model... The SH4 GUI will need updating, there need to be new ports created in the Channel for the S-boat, a whole range of new shipping will also have to be ported or created from scratch, planes need to be ported or done from scratch, a whole campaign needs to be scripted (but which would only need to be the Englisch channel for starters). Of course permissions need to be gathered from various modders which might cause problems, etc.

Even if it's a big task, I think it should be done sooner or later, and like I said, because the S-Boot has only a small area of operations, it might be a nice place to start. Other modders (the atlantic sharks) are already working on a U-boat port to SH4, so it might be useful to see how far they've gotten. A major issue would also be getting the GWX team on side, as most of the vast content and innovations SH3 really has these days, comes from them... and I know they aren't ready for the move to SH4 just yet.

Other than that, good news on the screws! I was going to ask about that, but it seems you already on top of it.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 05:20 AM   #624
Aces
Ace of the Deep

Thanks Mikhayl, 41Kts it is, I'll edit the cfg file to match this speed. No problem on the crew thing just an idea that's all , I wondered if there was a setting buried in a file somewhere that effected this but it's not that important. Fantastic news on the 3D stuff, I envy your (and others) talent with such things.

I was wondering how racerboy was progressing with his AI torpedo/s-boat torpedoing mod?. Wouldn't it be great to have AI and human-controlled s-boats firing torpedos in a mission!.

I'll be back in touch soon,

Cheers

Leigh

PS. when I put together the misson I set the date of the type 2as to 1942 and, when I fired up the mission the first thing that flashed up was a "flak gun detroyed" text message. On investigation the forward Flak gun was missing, this was solved when I re-edited the mission and set the type 2a to 1945. Just thought I should mention it.

PPS. There "hopefuly" might be a setting somewhere in a file which governs what happens when one selects "surface cruise" mode (or whatever it's called) or "surface anti-aircraft cruise" mode or whatever. If one could conbine the results of them together then maybe one could get the desired effect. I'll have a play around later, I'm probably on a "hiding to nothing" but who knows. I'd also like to know how crew is handled on AI boats, destroyers etc. have crew visible but the U-boats don't, again I'm probably stabing in the dark but I'm curious to know.

Last edited by Aces; 02-28-08 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-28-08, 08:29 AM   #625
johnm
Navy Dude

Downloads: 68

[quote=Mikhayl] There's now a 50 knots speed gauge and a "Rudder amidship" button to help you.

When can we down load the latest goodies? Your download site shows Beta_0.2 dated 12/2/08.

I'm enjoying dashing around and I actually hit and sank a medium merchant (using NYGN mod, keeping GW2 for serious career choices!)
johnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 10:38 AM   #626
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Torpedo tubes corrected.

Of course the doors you've seen a view of.

Opening/closeing time of the doors is about 10 seconds now.
Old 02-28-08, 10:51 AM   #627
Aces
Ace of the Deep

Fantastic, top work mate.

I've sent you a PM.

Cheers

Aces
Old 02-28-08, 12:19 PM   #628
Jib01
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
wunderbar, wunderbar, S-boote ist fantastic.

Just loaded and played. Took awhile to get used to the interface.

Big Question.....didn't the S-Boote have a limited range, much less than U-boats. It was used primarily against UK shipping near the UK and close to home ?

Wunderbar, Proost.....
Jib01
Old 02-28-08, 04:37 PM   #629
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

I hardly have time to play SH4, let alone SH3, but that's really a shame with such a sexy, fun looking mod. I keep visiting this thread just for the excitement of any new progress made Nice work everyone involved :p
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 04:50 PM   #630
sh3rules
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 24

Awesome torpedo tubes!

sh3rules is offline   Reply With Quote