SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-12, 02:50 AM   #1
VonApist
Navy Dude

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Just got my new Type II D - awesome!

I have been playing the game for some years , always choosing Wilhelmshaven as a base for convenience purposes (closer to the action). I would usually choose between a VIIB and a IX boat. In my first years I would upgrade to an IX as soon as I had the chance to, as more torpedoes and fuel appealed to me.

My problem with the IX was the fact that I was getting very high tonnage and at some point it seemed more "arcade" like than actually "realistic". Mind you, in all my games (SH3+ GWX+Commander) I play a minimum of 85% realism.

In the latter years I preferred to stick with the VIIB until the VIIC was available, as i cherished its manoeverability and "all weather" attributes. And probabilities of survival from 1942-43 onwards.

So last month I decided to go to try an all Type-II carreer and see how far in the war I can make it.

Tonnages slipped to more realistic numbers (which is VERY fine with me). I have completed 8 patrols for 90,000 tons which is "lower" than any 8 patrols with VIIB and IX boats - but it feels SO much better.

The Type -II carries only 5 (as u all know) which makes target selection, approach and attack much more demanding. No fishes to spare (hence I always use T-I's on impact trying for a 90 degree shot and so far I only had 2 duds).
My first boat (IIA) was tested and its maximum depth was 170m before taking any damage. Given its small size, 160-165 meters of depth is adequate for evation purposes.

In my last patrol, a Type II-D was made available, and im at my first patrol with it.

It looks great (conning tower is awesome) and Im gonna stick into it as long as possible.

Even the issue of keeping the right depth (a bit tricky with the IIA) is much better now. Altough to dive deeper than 140m you have to move with at least 3 knots (which makes silent running tough) i still love it.

I was very fond of VII's but it seems that the Type II-D has just stolen my heart

Anyone else with the same feelings?
"Submariners are a special brotherhood, either all come to the surface or no one does. On a submarine, the phrase all for one and one for all is not just a slogan, but reality.” -- VADM Rudolf Golosov
VonApist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 03:13 AM   #2
Jonny
Admiral

Downloads: 74

I am the same love the IX boats, at the moment i pay on 51% as its been 2 years since i last played on 100%, after i complete the first war i will saw as hell be going 100% realism, and i think you jsut inspired me to trya nd stick with II's and VII in later war if convinent.

Thanks for the inspiration dude,

Jonny

Wolfpack Commander Steam Group
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 12:01 AM   #3
postalbyke
Chief

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 1

Dedicated, Motivated Type II addict here!

I just messed around until I found this little dugout, and it really can't be beat!
The only difference for me is that I use four TII's and one TI (snapshot, self-defense weapon) in an attempt to stay even stealthier.

I think it might say something about my character (good, bad, whatever) but I rarely leave PD unless there's an airplane involved. Just hit silent running, 14m depth, and DC's tend to explode beneath you

I still haven't gotten out of 1942, but I'm still trying... I just keep wandering into mine fields (NYGM)
Old 03-27-12, 02:18 PM   #4
Luno
Ensign

Downloads: 123

They type II is very lovable indeed. I'm on my second campaign with one, at 100% difficulty. I do like the shortness of the patrols, but the IIA is not as maneuverable as I thought (35 seconds to dive, which is the same as a type IX; the IID dives in 25 seconds).

The only disappointment is the lack of deck-gun, and lack of convoy targets (only lone freighters on the East coast).

My personal opinion is that it's still too easy to get kills, type II or otherwise. I'm going to try OLC's Gui which changes how the stadimeter works, and I'm going to try to work on the recognition manual to incorporate the 2-D drawings, made by other forum members, to replace the perfect 3-D renditions (should be a simple process in GIMP, but there are a lot of entries). That should "improve" kill counts a bit.

Can I ask what mods you are using, VonApist?
Victories: 1 Merchants (4519 GRT), 0 Warships (0 GRT), 0 Aircraft
Sunk with all hands lost.

Luno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 02:58 PM   #5
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luno View Post
The only disappointment is the lack of deck-gun, and lack of convoy targets (only lone freighters on the East coast).
Between Methil roads and Bergen ( and back ) there are regular convoys from around Dec 39 until occupation of Norway
Plenty of neutral merchants tho
In fact some convoys are just neutrals - guarded by the RN

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 03:23 PM   #6
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly View Post
Between Methil roads and Bergen ( and back ) there are regular convoys from around Dec 39 until occupation of Norway
Plenty of neutral merchants tho
In fact some convoys are just neutrals - guarded by the RN

@bbw...is this what you mean ?
Kurt Vonnegut
flag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 03:32 PM   #7
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Not quite so high up towards the Shetlands

But yeah basically

http://www.warsailors.com/convoys/hnondates2.html

http://www.warsailors.com/convoys/hnondates.html

Old 03-27-12, 04:48 PM   #8
VonApist
Navy Dude

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luno View Post
They type II is very lovable indeed. I'm on my second campaign with one, at 100% difficulty. I do like the shortness of the patrols, but the IIA is not as maneuverable as I thought (35 seconds to dive, which is the same as a type IX; the IID dives in 25 seconds).

My personal opinion is that it's still too easy to get kills, type II or otherwise. I'm going to try OLC's Gui which changes how the stadimeter works, and I'm going to try to work on the recognition manual to incorporate the 2-D drawings, made by other forum members, to replace the perfect 3-D renditions (should be a simple process in GIMP, but there are a lot of entries). That should "improve" kill counts a bit.

Can I ask what mods you are using, VonApist?
GWX Gold + Commander + a bunch of other mods for graphs, damage etc etc, long list
"Submariners are a special brotherhood, either all come to the surface or no one does. On a submarine, the phrase all for one and one for all is not just a slogan, but reality.” -- VADM Rudolf Golosov
VonApist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 11:57 AM   #9
flag4
Watch Officer

Quote:
also wondered if you recognised the picture...
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 03-28-12, 01:31 PM   #10
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flag4 View Post
also wondered if you recognised the picture...
Ummmm no - should I

Old 03-28-12, 02:06 PM   #11
flag4
Watch Officer

Quote:
Ummmm no - should I
i believe it was you that sent me this back in 2008, there was a discussion about north sea convoy routes and i didnt have a clue where to look - i asked if anyone had a map and i *believe* it was you that sent me that picture!

if it was - thanks again!
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 03-29-12, 01:28 AM   #12
Luno
Ensign

Downloads: 123

Lol guys

Unfortunately, I haven't been sent up there to patrol yet. I keep getting orders to patrol within spitting distance of Hartlepool and Dover! I can only thank my lucky stars that the weather has been poor enough to prevent the flyboys from getting to me!
Victories: 1 Merchants (4519 GRT), 0 Warships (0 GRT), 0 Aircraft
Sunk with all hands lost.

Luno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 12:14 PM   #13
zygoma
Loader

Downloads: 66

VonApist,
Inspired by your post, I started a new career in a IIA out of Wilmshaven, and so far (7 patrols) keep getting sent to patrol sectors just NE of Dover, or including (or just east of) Scapa Flow.
Closest I've seen so far to a convoy has been a pair of cargo ships, typically a C2 and either a Coastal Merchant or Small Merchant in trail. Typically the C2s and C3s take me 3 shots to sink, even with sending the torps about 1.5 to 2 meters beneath the keel, but it's always rough water, too. On just one occasion I broke the spine of a C3 with a single eel --- yay!
It could be either just my nervousness from knowing I've essentially got no spares, but even with having "Duds" disabled in the Options, and in *very* rough water, I assume the ones that swim on the correct azimuth are either having depth-keeping faults, or the targets are porpoising too high out of the water as the torps reach them.
I'm also realizing that, even with a full complement of crew, by the time I reach anything legal to shoot at, nearly everyone is too fatigued to take a duty post long enough for an attack, unless I essentially tell them they're likely to die if they don't work sleepy for awhile.
Turns out that, at least for me, the 20mm single AA gun isn't enough to do anything exciting except explode cargo on the decks or the intake funnels on and around the superstructure of the cargo ships. But it apparently doesn't penetrate the hull, so it hasn't been enough to provide the coup d' grace on anything. Well, I *did* sink a trawler and a tug with just the machinegun on one of the all-too-rare good weather days. And the one time a lone Hawker Hurricane appeared within sight, he disappeared as soon as I manned the gun. Of course, I'd sent Bernard aloft, and the airplane's pilot may have surmised that the unaccountably naked gunner was just nuts enough to be a good shot, else why would I have assigned him to the sole antiaircraft weapon....
Seems like the only chance I get to let most of the crew rest is to dive for awhile, shut down the propulsion, and let everyone just chill awhile. Usually I outrun the oxygen depletion with having the crew rest up, then get back to propulsion driving around aimlessly on the surface.
Six patrols so far, upgraded from the IIA to the IID at the fourth patrol, and haven't detected any real difference.
It's nice to actually have to be careful to line up torpedo shots, as I don't have a "bootload" of eels sitting around to be wasted.
I *am* looking forward to seeing if this boat will last through the development of radar; I spend lotsa time submerged now using the hydrophones to have at least a chance of finding something to shoot at.
Thanks for the suggestion (and accompanying thread) about using this boat -- it makes a great change from the IXD I usually drive around in.
Zygoma
__________________________________________________ _____
May your number of surface activities exceed your dives by exactly one at the end of your career.
zygoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 12:59 AM   #14
u35_captain
Mate

Downloads: 4

I move on to the Type VII and IX pretty quickly - but I'll always have a warm place in my heart for the Type II as a harbour raider. It felt like there was nowhere that little boat couldn't slink into, sink some ships, and slip out of.

I've raided Scapa in all three typesm but the Type II it was actually somewhat simple. Granted, it was December of '39, but still. It just puttered in, put down a light cruiser, and puttered out. The Royal Navy spinning about trying without any luck to find it.

Plus, though I haven't gotten that far with it in the war, I imagine that aircraft have a harder time hitting a smaller target.
u35_captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 08:35 AM   #15
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Type II boats are beast. I like the type II and XXI. VII is ok. Don't like the IX much at all.