SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-02-15, 07:36 PM   #31
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome to SUBSIM CZ

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-15, 08:26 PM   #32
Hambone307
Planesman

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutzthedeal View Post
Great responses, thank you. Hey, I have really enjoyed these YouTube vids (especially some of the awkward humor), but for me, it's like getting into verb conjugation on the first day of an introductory French class. I'm starting to wonder if this stuff can actually be dumbed-down enough for me to find the first few rungs of the ladder! PS I know why they have to do psych. profiles on potential submariners now. Takes a special character imo.
Say what? Verb conjugation? I'm just a simple paramedic. English isn't my best skill.

At any rate, I have scanned through the previous posts and I don't think anyone has mentioned the 3:15 trick to get both speed and heading on a target. It was probably one of the best tricks I picked up on from other members of this forum.

The application is simple: Find a target and get his position relative to your boat. The next thing you need to do is put a mark at the end of the contact line. Pull up your stopwatch and start it. After 3 minutes 15 seconds, place another mark on the contact line. Grab your ruler and measure the distance between the two points and that will give you a fairly accurate speed, and his heading.

Example: Target spotted bearing 210, long range; place mark. Start watch and wait 3:15. Place second mark. Distance between marks measures 8000. This gives an approximate speed of 8 kts. At the same time, draw another overlapping line that extends past the original. This gives a target heading of 180.

Now if you are using automatic targeting, the speed and heading are irrelevant to your actual firing, but once you know the speed and heading, this will tell you where your proper firing position will be, and roughly how fast the target is moving to your intercept point.

If I have made any errors in my math, please feel free to correct me.

Last edited by Hambone307; 01-02-15 at 08:46 PM.
Hambone307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 12:42 AM   #33
CapnZero
Nub

Downloads: 69
Default Timing

Hambone307...

I remember reading about that timing approach, but I think there is a variation to it. As I recall the time is dependent on what type of units of measurement you are using:

Metric uses 3:15.
Imperial uses 2:58 (or actually 3:00).

Is my memory fogged or did I miss something?

CapnZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 06:06 AM   #34
Spraug
Helmsman

Downloads: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnZero View Post
Hambone307...

I remember reading about that timing approach, but I think there is a variation to it. As I recall the time is dependent on what type of units of measurement you are using:

Metric uses 3:15.
Imperial uses 2:58 (or actually 3:00).

Is my memory fogged or did I miss something?

Nope, you're spot on.
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
SCAF for RSRDC v502_2.0
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Spraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 07:14 AM   #35
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Actually, a target travelling 8kts will move 800y in 3min (180s). It will move 800m in 3min 14s.
Crannogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 09:58 AM   #36
Hambone307
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crannogman View Post
Actually, a target travelling 8kts will move 800y in 3min (180s). It will move 800m in 3min 14s.
After looking at my math this morning, I just realized my mistake But yes, 3:15 for metric units and 3:00 for imperial units.
Old 01-16-15, 03:13 AM   #37
wutzthedeal
Swabbie

Downloads: 9

Well I'm back. I LOVE THIS GAME, on the easy setting. Seriously, I can use my imagination to figure out what it would have been like to manually target, surface for batt. charge, etc. My problem now is that I went and sunk another $10 bucks into the U-boat missions (which I'm not really interested in playing; I just wanted the 1.5 steam update or 1.4, whatever update it is) and now I have the dreaded time-compression bug. Have tried every solution I could find to no avail. Anybody know any hidden tricks? I'm an IT guy and thought I knew computers but not this. I have a quad-core 1.3 GHz with 4gb ram. I've done LAA, run in compatibility mode, etc. Nothing working. After about June 1942, I can't use more than 32x compression without making the game unplayable. Figures; find a game, lose some cash, get disappointment. This feels like being back in the Air Force.
wutzthedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-15, 02:10 PM   #38
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

What do mean "time compression bug?" I know sometimes during tc, if the time doesn't automatically go to normal with a contact, you can get destroyed. Or you risk running aground if you're not careful with setting up a route.
Old 01-16-15, 09:08 PM   #39
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I'm not familiar with the "time compression bug", either.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-15, 10:19 AM   #40
wutzthedeal
Swabbie

It's a fairly popular issue where once you go above 8 or 16x like to cross the long stretches between Pearl and Japan, the game either quits or slows down dramatically. Always happens to me around Fall of 1942 when I'm leaving anywhere in Japan. Then, to make it back to port, what might have taken you a half-hour real-time could take a day, if you want to just let your computer sit there and run most of the time. What a let down. Thought a decent PC 8 years newer than the game could handle it and/or Ubi or Steam would fix it. From what I'm reading, most people that have it have not been able to fix it. All kinds of tricks out there but none have worked for me. Maybe I'll just keep playing the first year of a career.
Old 01-17-15, 10:30 AM   #41
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Quote:
It's a fairly popular issue where once you go above 8 or 16x like to cross the long stretches between Pearl and Japan, the game either quits or slows down dramatically. Always happens to me around Fall of 1942 when I'm leaving anywhere in Japan. Then, to make it back to port, what might have taken you a half-hour real-time could take a day, if you want to just let your computer sit there and run most of the time. What a let down. Thought a decent PC 8 years newer than the game could handle it and/or Ubi or Steam would fix it. From what I'm reading, most people that have it have not been able to fix it. All kinds of tricks out there but none have worked for me. Maybe I'll just keep playing the first year of a career.
Sounds like a slimy proposition when motoring across the Pacific; hope I don't get it.
Old 01-17-15, 01:39 PM   #42
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Quote:
I've been playing for years and where this isn't the first I've heard of the lag, it's the first I heard of it that bad. I get the lag when I get to TC about 7000x, but it's still faster than the previous setting. The lag isn't considered a bug because it's caused by the computer, not the software. Check your computer specs and settings. The usual cause is not enough RAM, especially video RAM. My new computer has integrated video RAM and I'm not having any problems until higher TC.
Old 01-18-15, 08:48 PM   #43
Hambone307
Planesman

I had the time compression issue with RFB. Loved the RFB mod and what it provided, but once I hit about the same time (Fall 1942) on my way back from Japan, I would make it about halfway to Midway and then the TC would practically freeze my computer above X32. I run an HP2000 with an AMD A6-5200 and 12g of ram and was astonished to have such an issue.
I decided after letting the game sit a year to download TMO 2.5 and haven't had any issues aside from the occasional CTD from a bad mod soup.
Old 01-18-15, 11:43 PM   #44
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

I have only experienced the bug on corrupt games never on a good install.

How are we defining noob?

Noob ... that which lacks a bee.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 08:15 PM   #45
wutzthedeal
Swabbie

Thanks guys for all your posts. It seems that checking vertical sync did it for me, though I can't be sure because I changed other things. I still get lag at busy times but then it clears up when I'm away from land/contacts. It was unplayable before after the first year; now I'm in late 1943 and have sunk a half-million tons. Love easy settings. I only wish I could hunt Nazis instead of the Japanese in this game. I mean I just have this thing against Nazis.