SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-11-09, 08:27 AM   #181
Woof1701
Commodore

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Kpt. Lehmann, and the whole GWX team: my heartfelt thanks for everything you've accomplished over those last years!

I remember very well modding dreadful SH2, switching to SH3, downloading, testing and combining different mods and not really being satisfied with it all and thinking of going bay to Aces of the Deep every time. But suddenly there was something there that changed it. Something I wouldn't have believed possible. Some people actually did what I thought to be too time-consuming and too hard to organize. A combined mod with practically everything that I was missing in stock SH3. And as if this wasn't enough it was developed further and new more interesting features were implemented every Christmas

So again: Thank you for the many glorious hours you let me spend in the GWX world instead of the real one and for all the grief you must've endured due to pressure and nagging from the community as well as people in your real lives, for the long hours of modding, testing, bitching, fighting and willing to make SH3 better than it was. It is really appreciated.

After the initial disappointment and letting this thread settle for a while I'm convinced that with SH5 on its way, it is all for the best this way. I believe it simply won't be worthwhile to put all this energy into this great project while all the work may be obsolete by early 2010. After all SH4 is just a vamped up SH3 with a few new features and SH5 will most likely become a completely new game where everything has to be started from scratch.

However I sincerely hope this has not been the last we ever heard of Kpt. Lehmann's GWX crew. If the past has told us anything since SH1 came around, it is that SH5 will surely need a lot of improvement and I can think of only one crew with one leader to accomplish that.

Best wishes to all of you. Get some well deserved rest, and a Christmas time for your real lives and hopefully till we meet again here! Thank you.
Woof1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 04:44 AM   #182
Scape
Gunner

Downloads: 57

Just wanted to say thanks for the great mod. You made SHIII to what all the sizzle was about. The game engine itself is dated and the coding needs an overhaul so no sense flogging an old horse and it was a good idea for GWX to disband as you have done what you set out to do.

I will still play the game because of your work. I makes for an amazing experience that you don't soon forget. Well done guys!

Scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 01:34 PM   #183
Bartolomeus
Planesman

Downloads: 30

Thank you GWX, for all your work! Best wishes in the future.

Marko
Old 10-13-09, 07:18 AM   #184
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

In my focus on SHV here at subsim as well as some real life issues... i missed this thread completely until today.

Thanks for all the hard work Grey Wolves!

I had silently expected this announcement for a short time now... and we all understand the reasoning behind it.

to a great mod, and a fantastic crew.

Old 10-13-09, 07:43 AM   #185
Tomi_099
The Old Man

Downloads: 426
wulfpacks

I hope that soon the time comes only when we forget this page and look ahead.

New projects with power and vigor to address.
To rest on its laurels - is o.k.
Say thank you - is o.k
but this is something looks to me almost like a funeral.

A German proverb says he who snaps the rusts.

I hope all the wolves get back together only in the wulfpacks, we can win.
Al so said Doenitz.

-----------------

Ich hoffe nur das bald die zeit kommt wo wir diese Seite vergessen und nach vorn blicken.

Neue Projekte mit power und Elan angehen.

Sich auszuruhen auf den Lorbeeren ist - o.k.
Danke zu sagen ist - o.k
aber so etwas sieht mir schon fast wie eine Beerdigung aus.

Ein Deutsches Sprichwort sagt wer rastet der rostet.

Ich hoffe alle Wölfe finden wieder zusammen nur in den Rudeln können wir gewinnen.

Hat auch Dönitz gesagt.
Old 10-13-09, 11:43 AM   #186
tomoose
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 23
Default To the Gray Wolves Team

An eloquent sign off.
My only regret is that I didn't take advantage of your great mod(s) earlier than I did. You can literally rest, assured that noone can think anything but the best of the work you and your team have done and that everyone wholeheartedly agrees with your reasoning.

My personal opinion is that you saved SH3 and that SH5 will have to use GWX as a baseplate from which to start. Anything less would be a gross mistake.

From a very grateful SHIII and SHIV player......thank you so much for your efforts. I can only hope that with the advent of SH5 the team can come together again at some point to do with that game what they do best.....improve it.

Best regards,
Tomoose
tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 04:38 PM   #187
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
This project has become a part of who we are... and for that reason, letting go is heart-breaking. In so many ways, this has become SO MUCH MORE than "just a game." This project has been about PEOPLE... and TEAMWORK... and the WILLPOWER to build SOMETHING out of NOTHING... and about being SUCCESSFUL in the face of adversity.
I do concur and wish you all the best with your lives, and many thanks for the work done

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 04:08 AM   #188
Tonnage_Ace
XO

Downloads: 5

Hey guys it's been a while; SH5 brought me back here and I happened on this thread.

When you released GWX 1.0 the manual you guys made, came out a week before the official release. I was IMPRESSED and read it front to back in awe.

Then the mod came out and I rushed into grab it, the quality, execution and mood of the mod was unbelievable and I was left staring at the menu screen floored.

You guys did an amazing thing. It is the best mod I've seen for any game and it grew from the best game community I've ever had the pleasure of being apart of.

Thankyou.
Tonnage_Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 01:44 PM   #189
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910

To paraphrase, W. Churchill, your work is just, "...the end of the beginning." Every time we press play, we uncover the genius of your creative fingerprints.

I, and many others, look forward to your future works of art.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell

Last edited by don1reed; 10-14-09 at 01:55 PM.
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 02:55 PM   #190
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I pop in here from time to time and continue to be amazed by the kind words located within this thread.

THEY DO NOT GO UNNOTICED....MANY ARE COPIED AND PASTED OVER ON THE LAIR

A fair portion of The Grey Wolves regularly visit here also and there is much gratitude in the posts over at The Lair in direct relation to this thread.

SINK EM ALL!!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 08:40 AM   #191
Hnef
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

Due to real life (yeah, sadly you're not the only ones...), I have nearly no time for gaming, run my favourite simulations or even check the forums I used to visit quite frequently.

So I'm a little bit late to say a big "Thank you" to all who were working on the GWX-mods.
Really, thanks a lot, guys! And all the best to you, whatever may come into your direction.
Should we ever meet, the beer is on me!
Hnef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 05:48 PM   #192
Venatore
Admiral

Downloads: 68

Kpt. Lehmann,

I have this feeling that the Silent Hunter III GWX days was just a rehearsal for the eagerly awaited Silent Hunter V. Your passion and desire of the Silent Hunter franchise is embedded in your soul. Yes; the team for now has been disbanded, and yes for now your soul has been dragged North, South, East and West managing RL, expectations and time-lines for the Silent Hunter community, but Silent Hunter V will re-awaken and feed that beast inside you that is currently in hibernation mode.

It is destiny young jedi.

Kind Regards

Venatore
Venatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-09, 09:02 AM   #193
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

THe GWX team, and GWX mod has kept me playing SHIII for many years.

What you and the team have done is MONUMENTAL in mods...and not just for SHIII but when compared to ALL mods that have been done over MANY genres (Counterstirke mod comes to mind). It is still my opinion that UBI should hire every one of you for SH5.

GWX kept me playing when SH4 was a flop (IMHO). I played SH4 for about 6 months and got so disgusted with it, I went back to GWX and never looked back.

UBI Romania will have a tough act to follow.... the expectations due to GWX are HIGH for SH5 (and it looks like it WILL be good). I just hope maybe they brought some of you on to help them out.

sir! Thank you and your team for all you have done!!!!! I am sad but at the same time GREATFUL for the GWX team efforts... Enjoy your time off.... and get some well deserved game time in will ya?!
Faamecanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-09, 04:58 PM   #194
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Thanks again for the very kind words guys.

@Venatore, you've always been so encouraging. Thank you for that sir.

Kind regards to all of you.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09, 10:43 AM   #195
Tomi_099
The Old Man

Downloads: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann View Post
Thanks again for the very kind words guys.

@Venatore, you've always been so encouraging. Thank you for that sir.

Kind regards to all of you.
-----------------------------
This project has become a part of who we are... and for that reason, letting go is heart-breaking. In so many ways, this has become SO MUCH MORE than "just a game." This project has been about PEOPLE... and TEAMWORK... and the WILLPOWER to build SOMETHING out of NOTHING... and about being SUCCESSFUL in the face of adversity.

Cap. this is the calm for the storm ( Silent Hunter 5 storm )