SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-23-08, 06:32 AM   #736
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999-Jay-999
Can i ask, do you apply these options in game or force these on through the drivers ?
Always drivers. There are no in-game AA/AF settings.
Old 05-23-08, 06:33 AM   #737
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0

OLC,

First, thanks for producing one of the greatest mods yet for Sh3! You've created a masterpiece that takes immersion up to the highest level.

After a few nights playing with your new Ubermod 2.3, I have one suggestion...

Can you include some type of ranging tool for use with the observation periscope (maybe similar to the one on the UZO or a variation of the one on the attack periscope)? With the elimination of visible contact updates, I am trying to manually plot the bearing of visual contacts early as they appear and its very difficult to get an accurate distance estimate at long range with the attack periscope owing to its new fixed magnification. By the time I can get several distance/bearing plots made to determine its course, its too late for me to maneuver to a good interception point and finalize my torpedo data with the OLC tools.

If I'm on the surface at night, no big deal. I just continue to make my plots as the ship passes by and catch up further down the road. If I am submerged during day, its a now or never deal (unless I feel like risking detection on the surface to get ahead of the target).

Just a thought.

Again, Thanks for all the time you put into this mod!
sabretwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 06:41 AM   #738
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretwo
OLC,

First, thanks for producing one of the greatest mods yet for Sh3! You've created a masterpiece that takes immersion up to the highest level.

After a few nights playing with your new Ubermod 2.3, I have one suggestion...

Can you include some type of ranging tool for use with the observation periscope (maybe similar to the one on the UZO or a variation of the one on the attack periscope)? With the elimination of visible contact updates, I am trying to manually plot the bearing of visual contacts early as they appear and its very difficult to get an accurate distance estimate at long range with the attack periscope owing to its new fixed magnification. By the time I can get several distance/bearing plots made to determine its course, its too late for me to maneuver to a good interception point and finalize my torpedo data with the OLC tools.

If I'm on the surface at night, no big deal. I just continue to make my plots as the ship passes by and catch up further down the road. If I am submerged during day, its a now or never deal (unless I feel like risking detection on the surface to get ahead of the target).

Just a thought.

Again, Thanks for all the time you put into this mod!
This is supposed to be a realism mod. The problems you describe all sound realistic to me.
A few things to know:
1) There were no range-finding tools on the obs-scope IRL.
2) Even if there had been you wouldn't be able to use them to get very accurate ranges at long distances.
3) From the vantage point offered by a scope, the horizon IRL is just a few km away.

If a target/convoy comes -unexpectedly- into view and you submerge to avoid being detected (good thinking) and then try to get a rough fix on it's position using the attack scope (good thinking) and then find you're not in an attacking position and can't get into position before the target has moved on... then welcome to realism. The best thing to do here is wait for it to vanish from sight, surface, and then flank it. You should be able to find it easily, and then you'll be able to position yourself perfectly for the attack.

If the target is moving too fast for you to flank it, bad luck.

HTH
OLC
Old 05-23-08, 06:44 AM   #739
Schwuppes
中国水兵

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999-Jay-999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwuppes
I use 32xS AA together with 16x Anisotropic Filtering.... kills every single jagged edge, and also eliminates shimmering!

For people with newer ATI cards (ie 2900XT, 3850 or 3870) you should try 24x Edge Detect... sweet as! Also use at least 8x Anisotropic Filtering... this will make distant object and waves look sharper.

Can i ask, do you apply these options in game or force these on through the drivers ?
Hi 999-Jay-999!

You also use a nVidia card? May I ask which one? You need alot of horsepower to run those settings... we're talking a 512MB geForce 8800GT or GTS minimum.... a 9600 GT should also be able to pull it off.

Anyway... the standard nVidia driver control panel will not allow you to set 32xS (which is a MSAA + SSAA hybrid). To enable 32xS you need a program called nHancer, a nifty little tool which allows you to create individual profiles for any game you have.

You can get it here:

http://www.3dcenter.org/3dtools/nhancer
E8400 @ 4.00Ghz standard vCore, Gigabyte P35C DS3R @ 445 Mhz, Leadtek GTX 280, 3 x 1GB Kingston DDR2 800 @ 890Mhz, 250GB +160GB HDD, Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96, Silverstone ST60F 600W, Logitech Z-5500 THX

Last edited by Schwuppes; 05-23-08 at 07:46 AM.
Schwuppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 06:58 AM   #740
999-Jay-999
Loader

Downloads: 10

Thanks Schwuppes,

I have an ATI card, but I now have a direction to go for setting up such options.
Old 05-23-08, 07:02 AM   #741
Schwuppes
中国水兵

Downloads: 22

Oh lol... I don't think you can use nHancer for ATi cards... what kind of ATi card do you have?

Only the newer ones will allow 24x "Edge Detect" AA... you can force it through Catalyst Control Center... also make sure you get the latest version of the Catalyst drivers... the current version 8.5 has brought some performance improvemants.

cheers!
E8400 @ 4.00Ghz standard vCore, Gigabyte P35C DS3R @ 445 Mhz, Leadtek GTX 280, 3 x 1GB Kingston DDR2 800 @ 890Mhz, 250GB +160GB HDD, Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96, Silverstone ST60F 600W, Logitech Z-5500 THX

Schwuppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 09:18 AM   #742
Phoenix3000
Weps

Downloads: 49

Hi OLC!

I've been working away for a couple of weeks, and today I finally had some time to look into SH3 again, and my, you have been busy!

I've just downloaded the new Ubermod 2.3 on a slow link with Filefront (always have problems with that site), and will be installing it later today given time.

Reading through the thread I'm sorry to hear that real-life is being a pain in the a*se right now but trust me, things will work out - just persevere mate. As the saying goes, 'don't let the b*stards get you down!'.

Cheers!
Px3000
Phoenix3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 02:20 PM   #743
sabretwo
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis

This is supposed to be a realism mod. The problems you describe all sound realistic to me.
A few things to know:
1) There were no range-finding tools on the obs-scope IRL.
2) Even if there had been you wouldn't be able to use them to get very accurate ranges at long distances.
3) From the vantage point offered by a scope, the horizon IRL is just a few km away.

If a target/convoy comes -unexpectedly- into view and you submerge to avoid being detected (good thinking) and then try to get a rough fix on it's position using the attack scope (good thinking) and then find you're not in an attacking position and can't get into position before the target has moved on... then welcome to realism. The best thing to do here is wait for it to vanish from sight, surface, and then flank it. You should be able to find it easily, and then you'll be able to position yourself perfectly for the attack.

If the target is moving too fast for you to flank it, bad luck.

HTH
OLC
Thanks for the reply. Personally, I like the changes you made to the contact display. I think it increases the realism quite a bit. However, I am surprised that the German U-Boat designers didn't include any type of range finding reticle for the observation periscope...especially given the time it would take in reality to switch from observation periscope to attack periscope. The capability to do so was certainly within the state of the technology.

Oh well, truth be told, my tonnage before was too high for realism anyway. Perhaps more missed opportunities will bring it down a bit more, or at least extend the duration of patrols.

(I'm not quite sure, should I be or ?)
Old 05-23-08, 02:40 PM   #744
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Thanks Px3k good to see you back.

@sabretwo

Maybe they left the range-finder off the observation scope because it was just meant to be used for observation? Maybe it was difficult to engineer a split prism stadimeter into a scope that can rotate in almost every direction? Honestly, I don't know... but anyway... what makes you think they'd have to quickly switch between the scopes IRL?
Old 05-23-08, 06:08 PM   #745
sabretwo
Frogman

Quote:
Thanks Px3k good to see you back.

@sabretwo

Maybe they left the range-finder off the observation scope because it was just meant to be used for observation? Maybe it was difficult to engineer a split prism stadimeter into a scope that can rotate in almost every direction? Honestly, I don't know... but anyway... what makes you think they'd have to quickly switch between the scopes IRL?
It seems to make good sense, the earlier you can identify a ship's course (range and location), the better. It can easily mean the difference between maneuvering into a good position or watching one go by.

BTW...I greatly respect the research and time that you've put into this mod. I only offered a suggestion and paid you compliments on your good work. You don't need to be sarcastic or condescending.
Old 05-23-08, 06:56 PM   #746
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
OLC Ubermod 2.3 - FINAL VERSION

Yeah, go on, laff it up :p
Finished laughing yet? OK, I'll wait...
Finished now?
Good.

Having played my way through half the war with this mod I'm satisfied that it's stable and does what I wanted. I've ironed out all the crinkles and I'm completely out of ideas for how to improve it. And besides, RL demands to be dealt with... and of course I want to get through the other half.

So, this is it, the last version!
Until now I've avoided making it compatible with everything because that just makes a lot of work for me, but since this is the last version, what the hell.

New in this version:
  • A final, tiny tweak to OLCE2. You might not even spot it. Anyway it's purely graphical in nature (look at the clouds near the horizon in light fog).
  • An OLCE2-compatible version of Enhanced Damage Effects is included.
  • The Ubermod has now been broken down into no less than 9 mods, to allow you maximum choice and compatibility with other mods. I'll copy and paste the updated readme, which I think (hope ) explains the new structure very well:
Quote:
OLC Ubermod is a small collection of my mods which are intended to be used together, but which have been separated into several smaller JSGME mods so that players have at least a limited amount of choice as to which changes they want and which changes they don't.

OLCE2
This mod contains the new environmental graphics and all of the OLC Ubermod graphical fixes except for the realistic rendering of waves seen through the UZO/binocular/periscopes (that one is in the OLC GUI Special mod). OLCE2 doesn't change any sensor settings, but visual sensors are affected by light levels and OLCE2 does make the nights darker. This means that the visual sensors on enemy ships are much less effective at night in OLCE2 than they are in GWX (which is a good thing). The Players Guide contains tips on how to execute successful surface attacks in the darker OLCE2 nights.
Note: OLCE2 should be used instead of the GWX – 16km Atmosphere mod, not in addition to it.

GWX 2.1 Crew Skins for OLCE2
This mod adjusts the brightness of the GWX 2.1 watch crew to suit the OLCE2 environment. You should enable this mod (and also the GWX – No Medals on Crew mod) unless you are using a crew uniform mod (e.g. the “Elite Crew Uniform” mod) in which case you should leave it disabled. Be warned that if you do use other crew uniform mods then they might not look quite right in OLCE2, especially at night, unless the mod author has made the appropriate adjustments for OLCE2.

Remove All Object Reflections for OLCE2 (with/without VIIC41)
Enabling one of these two mods will remove the reflections from all 3D objects (U-boats, ships, buildings, etc.) in GWX 2.1. This is entirely optional and depends only on your personal taste; if you would prefer to keep the reflections then do not enable this mod! Please note that the reflections of particle effects are not altered by this mod (they are optionally removed using the particle effect mods for OLCE2, described next).
Note: The “with VIIC41” version is for players who have a VIIC/41 U-boat. It should be enabled instead of the GWX – VIIC41 Player Sub mod, not in addition to it.

GWX 2.1 Normal/Enhanced Particle Effects for OLCE2 (with/without reflections)
These four mods each contain GWX 2.1 particle effects which have had colour/brightness levels adjusted so that they look right in OLCE2. The names of the mods should be self-explanatory. You should choose and enable one of these four mods unless you are using some other effects mod (e.g. the “SH4 Effects for SH3” mod) in which case you should not enable any of them. Be warned that if you do use other particle effect mods then they might not look quite right in OLCE2, especially at night, unless the mod author has made the appropriate adjustments for OLCE2.
Note: One of the these mods should be enabled instead of the GWX – Enhanced Damage Effects mod, not in addition to it.

OLC GUI Special for OLCE2
This mod contains a new version of my graphical user interface (OLC GUI) which includes realistic map contact updates and a graphical fix to waves seen through the UZO/binoculars/periscopes. Please note that this is not identical to OLC GUI 1.2.x, nor is it an addition to it. You can install either OLC GUI Special, or OLC GUI 1.2.x, or neither, but not both! The Players Guide contains more information on the differences between OLC GUI 1.2.x and OLC GUI Special.
It's big, I'm afraid. 400mb. But it's the last time you'll have to download it.
It's uploading to FF and will take a couple of hours.

Cheers
OLC
Where might I ask is the D\L link.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 06:59 PM   #747
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 110

It's in the first post ... a few lines down ... "download ... here"
Old 05-23-08, 07:05 PM   #748
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Is there a particular install sequence for 2.3? Really sorry to ask 'cause I know it must be stated in here somewhere but I'm just not seeing it :hmm:
Old 05-23-08, 07:14 PM   #749
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert8for3
THX bert

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 07:21 PM   #750
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert8for3
THX bert
No prob. I'm in the middle of sorting out a few mods to install before next patrol, inc 2.3 ... if you happen to be installing 2.3 and see that there's a particular install order, could you let me know? Right now, I'm figuring on doing in order OLCE2, then Enhanced Particle Effects (in my case), Crew Skins, then OLC Gui Special. Uboat folder not necessary in my case 'cause put in before.