SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-10-17, 08:17 PM   #1
DackSter94
Swabbie

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default RA Mk48ADCAP fails to find the target.

Hello,
So I've been playing quick missions in RA for a while. What I wanted to know is what are mk.48 ADCAP seeker limitations in vertical plane? The reason I ask is that most of the time I shoot my torpedoes and they don't track. Then I watch replay with truth enabled, only to find out that my torps pass pretty much on top of the target... (But I guess over or under it..) Happens in scenarios without the layer. I try to enable the torp 2000-3000yds from target and I use default modes. I am running RA 1.43 but that happened in 1.42 as well...
DackSter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 09:10 PM   #2
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

Keeping it basic at first, did you pre-enable or enable your torps before they got close to the actual position of the contact?

If you aren't sure what that means or how to do it, don't worry. DW still requires a steep learning curve at first. Its like drinking from a fully charged fire hose at times.

If you're new to DW as a game, check out FPS Chazly's vids on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fps+chazly

For a civilian, he does a good job of explaining the game.

Above all, stick with it. DW hasn't stuck around as long as it has because it's easy.

If you've been playing DW for a while, that might be a different discussion. Namely, did Ivan *nerf* the Mk48 ADCAP too much in RA?
There are things to keep in mind- mostly understand the difference between a simulation and a game. If a game is too one-sided it isn't much of a game. Things need to be leveled out so all the players have a chance. If Ivan changed some things to keep DW viable for the long haul, I might not agree with it but I can understand why.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 11:47 PM   #3
Ghost Dog
Planesman

Downloads: 114

I've noticed that too, especially vs targets with anechoic coating, ie modern subs. My solution: fire 2 torps at each target, the lead torpedo being active, the trailer being passive. Chances are he'll cavitate and at least your passive fish will get him. Active underwater seekers in RA seem to have shorter range and are easier spoofed with countermeasures but they do tend to make the AI run.

The new seeker behaviour in RA is likely for multiplayer balance. It's my understanding the new ADCAP Mod 7 CBASS can switch between active and passive modes as needed during the terminal homing phase. Perhaps more proof or documentation is needed before Ivan will add it to RA.

free image host
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 02:40 AM   #4
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Just check floor settings (ADCAP).
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 04:13 AM   #5
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
I've noticed that too, especially vs targets with anechoic coating, ie modern subs. My solution: fire 2 torps at each target, the lead torpedo being active, the trailer being passive. Chances are he'll cavitate and at least your passive fish will get him. Active underwater seekers in RA seem to have shorter range and are easier spoofed with countermeasures but they do tend to make the AI run.

The new seeker behaviour in RA is likely for multiplayer balance.
In effect- you're saying that the rules have changed, somehow, and no one but Ivan knows why.

The rest of us have our own theories and experience but we'll never know the ultimate answer because it would ruin the game.

Experiment, adapt, and overcome.
Old 10-11-17, 05:34 AM   #6
DackSter94
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Keeping it basic at first, did you pre-enable or enable your torps before they got close to the actual position of the contact?
I don't do either. It's a normal shot with run to enable setting, shouldn't it enable automatically then?
Quote:
If you're new to DW as a game, check out FPS Chazly's vids on YouTube
Watched those, that's how I started in DW
Old 10-11-17, 06:48 AM   #7
A-Ganger
Sparky

Downloads: 13

There are 2 settings you could change in the dangerouswaters.ini file
Not sure why explodeonCM is so high, as 50% is too steep
As well, in modern submarine technology, weapon malfunction is "maybe" 1-5% from what I know IRL.

Under cheats -
.WeapMalfunction Yes
.PercentTorpsExplodeOnCM 50

I play with malfunction - No and explode 25

Agree with p7p8 on floor settings. If target is at 400 ft and your Mk.48 floor is set to 300 ft it will never hit that target lol
A-Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 10:36 AM   #8
Ghost Dog
Planesman

Downloads: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
Just check floor settings (ADCAP).
good call, forgot to mention that. Make sure you select a floor deeper than 1000 ft, many subs will evade deeper than 1000 ft.

free image host
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 01:05 PM   #9
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
If you're new to DW as a game, check out FPS Chazly's vids on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fps+chazly

For a civilian, he does a good job of explaining the game.

Ghost dog's comment regarding the floor is quite an important one. I'd try to add more to this discussion, but I've yet to play 1.43.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 02:36 PM   #10
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post

Ghost dog's comment regarding the floor is quite an important one. I'd try to add more to this discussion, but I've yet to play 1.43.
FWIW, I have stock DW, 1.42 b7, and 1.43 installed and I've stuck with 1.43.
There aren't huge differences between 1.42 and 1.43 but the tactics part of 1.43 seems to run smoother, if that makes sense.
Hey, before I forget.. If you're still stuck with Marvin launching your counter measures on the Seawolf and Virginia, its easy to fix. Just snag the countermeasure wav file out of the 688's sfx.agg file and add it to the SFX.agg files of the other classes using cmpUtil. Its harder to describe than it is to actually do, just make sure you change the agg's for each class in the Interfaces folder.

Dack- one other thing to keep in mind. If you're used to playing stock DW, be sure to check the readme's on newer mods. In this case, look at your Weps panel RUN TO ENABLE setting carefully. You now have an extra digit to play with and that extra digit is REALLY important.
Old 10-18-17, 06:59 AM   #11
DackSter94
Swabbie

Well it seems that problem was too shallow floor setting. I just didn't expect AI to cruise/evade below 1000ft. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 10-18-17, 07:43 AM   #12
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Just make sure you read the "RA_Weapon_Info_rev38" PDF in 1.43's Manual folder.
You may also want to take notes you can read when you need to program an ADCAP in the game. Things have changed a bit compared to stock DW.