Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 10-23-13, 06:55 AM   #46
-SWCowboy.
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Fun game, takes the edge off after a long day at work. The Russian planes and their commie-cannons get a little annoying once you reach the higher levels though
Old 11-08-13, 08:31 AM   #47
Dammit_Carl!
Torpedoman

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

Finally played enough to get Hurricane models in my stable, and then got into a Historical Event ("The Longest Day," I think it was called) where I got to sally forth and knock the Hun from the sky - I got one definitive kill on a 109 who took me out too, and critical'ed more than one He 111 before my head-on duel to the death.

It was beautiful. I'm so hooked on this game after that.

And no, I never got the gamepad thing to work so I've stuck with mouse and keyboard thing while playing around with a joystick-keyboard setup and a full-on HOTAS deal with my Saitek x45 stuff. Problem is, I don't have enough desk real estate to put my goodies out. Oh well.

War Thunder name is the same as here minus the exclamation point at the end, so catch you cats out there.
Dammit_Carl! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 09:15 PM   #48
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Oh my god, what have they done with the latest patch

They've completely destroyed the game. Stay away from War Thunder now, stay far, far away.
Old 12-24-13, 12:14 PM   #49
antikristuseke
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 3

WT is now a lot more grindy than WoT has ever been and given how smaller margins are way more important to a plane than a tank you start off much, much worse in a stock plane than you do in a stock tank, but that is neither here or there really. A larger issue is the tiering system which is completely and utterly ridiculous, WW2 era jets fighting korean era jets, early war planes going up against late or end war models. It is more of a turkey shoot than anything else. It is like they are trying to make their own product fail, which completely baffles me.
Even better on the genius PR front, they made a thread which supposedly explains their new system under discussions aaand that thread is locked, so no discussion
antikristuseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 08:17 PM   #50
hawk2495
Sparky

Downloads: 190

I finally broke down and played this last night. Not going to happen again. I'm one of those odd people who play a ww2 flight game to enjoy the difficulties of those aircraft. When an A6M-5 Zero can catch an F6F in level flight, well I just got to walk away after that.
hawk2495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-14, 03:17 PM   #51
captgeo
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 105

I have to agree, its hard to imagine Gaijin destroying the game the way they have, comments from the players are completely ignored , or dissmissed as propaganda from American sources.

Stay far away till they come to reality
Old 01-17-14, 12:22 AM   #52
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk2495 View Post
I'm one of those odd people who play a ww2 flight game to enjoy the difficulties of those aircraft.
I messed with my IL-2 1946 so I could fly the F4F Wildcat through the whole of the Pacific war if I want to.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-14, 03:39 PM   #53
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54
Default Hate to dig up the dead but....

Well I finally went and gave War Thunder a try after being asked to play it by a couple of my friends on Steam and my impressions of the game aren't really great. First of the way that the battles are setup is simply stupid, even in realistic battles its going to be tier 1-3, if it was just tier 1 vs. tier 1 it would be so much better. Flying a Peashooter vs. a Bf-110 or a LaGG-3 is just... The reserve planes are junk for the most part and ironically the bi-planes which should be difficult to stall are extremely easy to stall. The damage model (or rather lack there of) is totally absurd, a perfect example of this is from a battle I did yesterday evening. I intercepted a Blenheim in a Buffalo, I managed to do some damage but after a two second burst from the gunner my engine was on fire. Had such a thing happened in say IL-2 everyone would be yelling "HAX!!!!". Frankly if the developers of War Thunder had kept thing the way they where before the 1.37 patch I probably would play it on a regular basis, as it is now however it will probably be nothing more then a game I'll play every great once in a while, and all of this from someone who as only played a total of five hours. Unless Gaijin fix what they have broken, I'll stick with IL-2 1946 with The Full Monty super-mod for 4.12.
Old 05-06-14, 01:41 PM   #54
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

I like War thunder, in fact I'm quite hooked on it right now. Since I could never really get to grips with IL2 or flight sims in general, so WT historical matches, is about the right balance of sim/arcade for me.. and even arcade matches are a laugh sometimes, I'm well aware of the historical inaccuracies but I don't care, its basically an MMO or a team Death match game in the skies, its not a sim and it doesn't claim to be, so Im amazed to see some people are seemingly judging it as a sim. Come on, you wouldn't compare C.O.D to Arma would you? .. (not that ArmA is all that 'simmy' anyway
WT is good fun, my nick is V11cu96, feel free to add me although Im still learning the ropes and I'm about teir 3 with the UK and Germany.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 02:06 PM   #55
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Tier 3 here too. Grinding Brits for a Wellie and the Jerries for an E3. I seem to be most successful with bombers, can't dogfight to save my bloody life.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 03:15 PM   #56
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Tier 3 here too. Grinding Brits for a Wellie and the Jerries for an E3. I seem to be most successful with bombers, can't dogfight to save my bloody life.
For arcade mode set your controls Mouse aim, that's what everyone else does... not to hard then, so long as you don't try to dog fight using a wellington in historical, 90% of dog fights can be avoided just by staying high.

From what I've learned so far it seems the way to do it is:

Level Bomber, Level up to 2000lb x2 or 4000lb x1 bombs, stay at 5000ft bomb sensibly with the bomb sight and hope the fighters/ destroyers cant be bothered to make the tedious climb to get you. But if they do, always man the gunner yourself since the AI is not great, no point trying to manoeuvre / dodge/ dive because this will only postpone your death for a few seconds, but going to the gunner might well get you a lucky pilot or engine hit if he comes close enough (and they usually do)
But generally if a fighter approaches you at high altitude - and you are all alone, you are done.

Ground attack / destroyer / dive bomber / torpedo bomber
Stay reasonably close by to team mates so you can make a dash for them if you get caught with your pants down. But at about 3000-4000ft+ pick a ground or air target, quick dive attack/strafe (1 pass only) then GTFO back to high altitude on WEP. avoid getting in to turn fights at all costs.

Fighter:
If you want to play it safe, stay at about 2000-3000ft but, stick to your team mates like glue so they are just below you, do the same as dive bomber tactics, pick on unsuspecting 'low and slow' prey, hit them at the bottom of your dive (single pass) then climb out with your engines on WEP. Even in arcade, he will not be able to come after you. Reload and get back close to your team. Turn fighting can pay off but its exhausting and you always end up getting shot down eventually.

And in all cases, situational awareness is everything, constantly look around with the free view or at least glance at your radar every 20 seconds or so.

Last edited by JU_88; 05-06-14 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 03:30 PM   #57
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Oh and I HATED the Wellington at first (and just stuck with the upgraded Blenheim), it really is like flying a brick but once you get that 4000 pounder, you can take out a base in 2 passes, or half a dozen ground units in 1 pass. then - the Wellie grind is worth its awful handling and snail speed. Although, I am finding that because its so slow, by the time I reach the target someone else on my team has already taken care of it half the time.

For the Germans the JU88 and SM79 are both decent, fast and shallow dive bomb capable, I'm just annoyed I have to go though x3 He-111 variant's just to get the Do 217 bomber which is allegedly one of the best bombers in the game.
The He-111s flight model is slow and sluggish too but on the plus side they can take a kicking like no other Luftwaffe aircraft can -and they have a nice selection of modifications too

Hey add me as friend Ob, maybe we can do some bomber flights together

Last edited by JU_88; 05-06-14 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-15-14, 04:06 PM   #58
Dammit_Carl!
Torpedoman

Downloads: 7

Pulling a successful game in a bomber while in a "Simulator Battle," (or is it "Realistic," now...I always forget...the mode that is just a step between Arcade and full-on flight sim mode) is a thing of beauty.

For laughs, get a Brit A-20 and just own bones in a Tier 1 fight as there is exceedingly little than can keep up with you when you are firewalling the throttle - which sort-of makes up for the fact that you got poop for guns on the thing.

Can't wait to get home and see how they do tanks now that they're in open Beta with 'em.
Dammit_Carl! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 08:13 PM   #59
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96

Tanks are amazing. I was in the CBT and had so much fun. Then they wiped my progress when they moved it to the live server. Then they wiped it again when 1.41 came out. And for all you non-full-real battle people out there, it is much easier than in aircraft.

I'm definitely enjoying the new Me-262 with the 50mm cannon, too.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote