SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-13-17, 08:25 PM   #16
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
What I have done to the Mk 16 though (will be in the next release of OAS) is add circle pattern running. This can work out to be a very effective "one-two" punch with the Mk 37. If you have a target (say a Riga) that you put a Mk 37 onto, in order to make him evade, other than maybe trying to set up a low % leading shot with another Mk 37, he'd pretty much be in the clear once the first fish runs out of power or he gets outside of its seeker range. Now in many cases this would put you in position to try a spread of Mk 16s at a nice, non-maneuvering target, but in many cases you're left with a horrible oblique angle-on-bow where you're only shooting at a small slice of the ship, which again greatly decreases your likelihood of scoring a hit. With a circle-runner, as long as the target isn't too far away (to the point that he can get out of range before the fish overtakes him and starts running its circle) you have a pretty good chance of being able to plant what amounts to a moving minefield ahead of him. Now obviously all this goes out the window if he starts maneuvering, but if that happens then there's a good chance the Mk 37 is going to get him when he starts making turns.
That sounds like a pretty good fix. At least it gives us something workable where we at least have a chance, granted, probably a low % chance but still a chance of getting a hit if you be patient and plan your attack well if it's a surface ship target. How would the torp find a sub at different depths, or trying to evade and changing depth? What kind of vertical seeker range would the Mk16 have, if any? Maybe I read this too quick and missed something.
The only other thing I was thinking of is the Mk48 came online sometime in the very late 60's or the early 70's I believe. Does the game model that and will the '68 campaign, if you play it long enough and enough game time goes by, will the game offer us the Mk48 as a stores option to outfit your ship at the historically accurate time in history? If it did I would assume it would be the first version of the 48 that we developed, not the ADCAP. If the game doesn't do this can we do it as a mod? At least this way we have something to look forward to if you stick with the '68 campaign long enough.
I dunno.....I really like the '68 campaign and the early versions of the ship and sub platforms we used. Once in awhile playing something a bit more challenging than just jumping behind the wheel of a Seawolf or Virginia class is pretty cool. I like the challenge of using a Permit, Skipjack or even a November now and then. What can I say....sometimes you just wanna drive a Pinto instead of a Porsche.

"CC"
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 09:27 PM   #17
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCruise View Post
Maybe I read this too quick and missed something.
Yeah kind of. The Mk 16 was never considered an ASW weapon and wasn't designed with that in mind. As I mentioned earlier, it was limited to a depth of 200 ft and had no seeker of any kind, unless you want to count the magnetic influence exploder(which I think was back by the time the war ended, in a much improved, non-Mk 14 debacle form).

As far as I'm able to tell the depth control consisted merely of a pre-set which was intended to run the torpedo under the keel of its intended target, so pretty much the exact same as the pre-WW2 Mk 14.

As for the Mk 48, no its not included in the 1968 campaign unless by mod. You are correct that the Mk 48 development dates back to the 1950s and some of the test fish were probably shot as early as 1968 but it wasn't really until the 72 that they started deploying them to the fleet, and even then it wasn't until about 76-78 where they became the mainline weapon as the Mk 37s began to be mostly retired.

The Mk 48 development is actually quite interesting because it was initially conceived as basically a really fast Mk 37 (would have actually had a lighter warhead than the Mk 37 but used a more potent explosive) and overtime was changed to become the new general purpose ASW/ASUW weapon of choice as the old straight runners were obsolete and aging out of service.
Old 10-15-17, 08:11 AM   #18
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344

Quote:
Yeah kind of. The Mk 16 was never considered an ASW weapon and wasn't designed with that in mind. As I mentioned earlier, it was limited to a depth of 200 ft and had no seeker of any kind, unless you want to count the magnetic influence exploder(which I think was back by the time the war ended, in a much improved, non-Mk 14 debacle form).

As far as I'm able to tell the depth control consisted merely of a pre-set which was intended to run the torpedo under the keel of its intended target, so pretty much the exact same as the pre-WW2 Mk 14.

As for the Mk 48, no its not included in the 1968 campaign unless by mod. You are correct that the Mk 48 development dates back to the 1950s and some of the test fish were probably shot as early as 1968 but it wasn't really until the 72 that they started deploying them to the fleet, and even then it wasn't until about 76-78 where they became the mainline weapon as the Mk 37s began to be mostly retired.

The Mk 48 development is actually quite interesting because it was initially conceived as basically a really fast Mk 37 (would have actually had a lighter warhead than the Mk 37 but used a more potent explosive) and overtime was changed to become the new general purpose ASW/ASUW weapon of choice as the old straight runners were obsolete and aging out of service.

OK. It sounds like as far as making any big time mods to Mk16 and the '68 campaign, we're more or less out of luck except for your seeker head mod. Unless there was a way to straight up just add the earliest version of the Mk48 to the campaign and have it show up at a certain date, I don't think I have anything else to add, except maybe making the Mk37 a wee bit faster.....say 30 kts tops. Unfortunately it probably isn't very historically accurate. I dunno, this is going way above my pay grade now, I think I'll shut up and let those of you smarter than me figure this one out.

"CC"
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-17, 02:11 AM   #19
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCruise View Post
OK. It sounds like as far as making any big time mods to Mk16 and the '68 campaign, we're more or less out of luck except for your seeker head mod. Unless there was a way to straight up just add the earliest version of the Mk48 to the campaign and have it show up at a certain date, I don't think I have anything else to add, except maybe making the Mk37 a wee bit faster.....say 30 kts tops. Unfortunately it probably isn't very historically accurate. I dunno, this is going way above my pay grade now, I think I'll shut up and let those of you smarter than me figure this one out.

"CC"
Not sure it would be practical to have it "show up at a certain date" as even a war lasting a few months is probably optimistic (high chance things would escalate out of control before then, or be cooled down before they got the chance to).

As for MK 37 improvements, there is actually quite a bit of truth to that. By 1968 the Mk 37C program was running at ?Nothrop/Honeywell? This basically started with a bunch of company engineers spit-balling (they had a good idea that the MK 37 didn't cut it anymore and the USN was trying to replace it) about ways to improve the Mk 37. What they came up with (aside from some solid-state guidance improvements) was to take the otto-powered propulsion from the Mk 46 light-weight torpedo and use that to replace the MK 37's electric motor+battery. What they arrived at gave roughly 2x the range and a top speed of 36 knots (out past 20,000 yards). The trouble is the test program on the 37C started in 1968 but went on into the 70s and finished up around the same time the Mk 48 entered service.

Its quite likely that the Mk 37C wasn't seriously pursued for fear that it could end up cannibalizing the Mk 48 program due to its cheaper cost and retrofit nature (the 37C was intended to be deployed in kit-form, so Navy personnel would use the kits to upgrade existing Mk 37s at base or even on tenders vs. sending the weapons back to the manufacturer). At the time (late 1960s) the defense budget was under-seige due to the massive expenses from the Vietnam war, had the 37C development been accelerated the Navy may have found themselves saddled with a "good enough in 1968" weapon vs the amazing improvements / capabilities brought by the Mk 48. Eventually the Mk 37C was developed as the NT-37 which was sold to a number of foreign allies as well as the USN.

The Mk 37C is featured in the Omitted American Submarines mod as available to most boats in the 1968 campaign.
Old 10-16-17, 05:42 PM   #20
Barleyman
Gunner

Downloads: 3

Quote:
What I have done to the Mk 16 though (will be in the next release of OAS) is add circle pattern running. This can work out to be a very effective "one-two" punch with the Mk 37. If you have a target (say a Riga) that you put a Mk 37 onto, in order to make him evade, other than maybe trying to set up a low % leading shot with another Mk 37, he'd pretty much be in the clear once the first fish runs out of power or he gets outside of its seeker range. Now in many cases this would put you in position to try a spread of Mk 16s at a nice, non-maneuvering target, but in many cases you're left with a horrible oblique angle-on-bow where you're only shooting at a small slice of the ship, which again greatly decreases your likelihood of scoring a hit. With a circle-runner, as long as the target isn't too far away (to the point that he can get out of range before the fish overtakes him and starts running its circle) you have a pretty good chance of being able to plant what amounts to a moving minefield ahead of him. Now obviously all this goes out the window if he starts maneuvering, but if that happens then there's a good chance the Mk 37 is going to get him when he starts making turns.
Any chance of getting this circle running thing as a separate mod? It seems that having small mods is difficult since everyone shares the same datafiles in the override folder, so..

Last edited by Barleyman; 10-16-17 at 06:02 PM.
Barleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-17, 02:58 PM   #21
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Not sure it would be practical to have it "show up at a certain date" as even a war lasting a few months is probably optimistic (high chance things would escalate out of control before then, or be cooled down before they got the chance to).

As for MK 37 improvements, there is actually quite a bit of truth to that. By 1968 the Mk 37C program was running at ?Nothrop/Honeywell? This basically started with a bunch of company engineers spit-balling (they had a good idea that the MK 37 didn't cut it anymore and the USN was trying to replace it) about ways to improve the Mk 37. What they came up with (aside from some solid-state guidance improvements) was to take the otto-powered propulsion from the Mk 46 light-weight torpedo and use that to replace the MK 37's electric motor+battery. What they arrived at gave roughly 2x the range and a top speed of 36 knots (out past 20,000 yards). The trouble is the test program on the 37C started in 1968 but went on into the 70s and finished up around the same time the Mk 48 entered service.

Its quite likely that the Mk 37C wasn't seriously pursued for fear that it could end up cannibalizing the Mk 48 program due to its cheaper cost and retrofit nature (the 37C was intended to be deployed in kit-form, so Navy personnel would use the kits to upgrade existing Mk 37s at base or even on tenders vs. sending the weapons back to the manufacturer). At the time (late 1960s) the defense budget was under-seige due to the massive expenses from the Vietnam war, had the 37C development been accelerated the Navy may have found themselves saddled with a "good enough in 1968" weapon vs the amazing improvements / capabilities brought by the Mk 48. Eventually the Mk 37C was developed as the NT-37 which was sold to a number of foreign allies as well as the USN.

The Mk 37C is featured in the Omitted American Submarines mod as available to most boats in the 1968 campaign.
All that said, it seems like the kit-bashed Mk 45 that Killerfish made is closer in terms of plausibility than anything else suggested so far. They had the same body diameter as the 37 and the 45 already had wire guidance. Now whether that seeker would function at all at the higher speed is beyond me...
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-17, 01:10 AM   #22
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
All that said, it seems like the kit-bashed Mk 45 that Killerfish made is closer in terms of plausibility than anything else suggested so far. They had the same body diameter as the 37 and the 45 already had wire guidance. Now whether that seeker would function at all at the higher speed is beyond me...
It depends on how you look at it. One of the reasons the Mk 45 was created in the first place is because at the time the US Navy didn't have a seeker / couldn't make a homing torpedo which would work at that speed. While the later mods of the Mk 37 (2 and 3) did receive upgraded transducers, their speeds were unchanged so its hard to say whether this would have been addressed by that upgrade.

That said, the Mk 46 was in service by that time, and it had a seeker that would function at or beyond that speed so its not like it would have been impossible to achieve such a thing at that time. As far as I know though there was no consideration given by the Navy for a conventional Mk 45, the later "Freedom torpedo" program apparently used a type of wake-homing guidance and from what I can piece together wasn't intended for ASW use.
Old 06-03-18, 04:12 AM   #23
mothra108
Nub

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
Great info Bandit, thanks for that. Have you got the Mod 0 or Mod 3 to show up as separate weapons in inventory or did you replace the standard Mod 2?

And yes, I've had good luck with the stock 120 dB pre-enable speed and a modded 130 dB enable speed, but that's just my guess at the difference in noise.
Your 10db gain in sound intensity of the torpedo in going from inactive to active speed is not a bad estimate in my opinion. My assumption would be that the sound intensity would be proportional to the power output of the torpedoe's engine. Since the fluid drag on the torpedo varies approximately as the square of the speed and the power is equal to the force exerted by the torpedo times its speed, then the power would vary as the cube of the speed. I would then write the sound increase in db as 30*log(v2/v1).
mothra108 is offline   Reply With Quote