SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-21-22, 11:47 AM   #8656
gman9912
Nub

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Game Play options

Hi, I'm somewhat new to posting and hope to begin with, I've posted in the right place. I love this mod (FOTRS) for a variety of reason's, obviously the realisim of the graphics, as well the sound. I've just started using the manual TDC, fresh from training and want to use it in career's, however when I go to select the gameplay options prior to starting a new career I end up with a "Custom" profile, whilst setting up the career, ie. year/port/sub/Difficulty, those settings get undone...it's the latter that changes my initial gameplay selections from the games general gameplay choices. There is no "Custom" choice in the career difficult settings that correlates...In essence, I want to use manual targeting but I also want free view, because I love the sounds and looks of my sub surfacing and submerging...Cudos to whoever put those effects into play. I've tried normal settings in career, and tried using manual TDC even though those settings deselects manual TDC and the TDC does not seem to function properly...sending torpedoes every which way I'm afraid.

In any event, I was hoping there was some kind of fix for this issue buried somewhere deep in the bowels of either this thread or the forum in general that addresses this matter and I'd be most gratefull for any and all help if one could either point me to it or offer some advice.

Thanx in advance.

God Bless and Merry Christmas
gman9912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-22, 12:39 PM   #8657
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Merry Christmas backatcha gman9912. First, of all, no need to deep dive to find the "issue". It is most likely just a matter of understanding the Options available in the game. When you start the game, there is an "Options" menu, and under that, a "Gameplay Settings", where you made your choices for the Submarine School. Those settings also influence the Single Missions, War Patrols and Multiplayer choices. When you start a career, you end up in the on-shore Captain's Office in the home port. While in that office, left-click on the wooden radio console to your left in that view, and you will enter another Options menu, again with the Gameplay Settings choices. Those settings in the Options menu there apply only to that particular career. So if you are running (as an example) four careers concurrently, they can each have different Options set, and those could all be different from the main menu's Options settings. The Stock game, as well as most mods have a very similar set-up.

Now, this is the thread for the Beta pre-release version of the FotRSU mod. You would be better off using the v1.8 and patch of the latest release of the mod at [REL] Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate - v1.8 plus Patch, and to post any questions you have in that thread. It is "stickied" at this time to the SubSim menu, and will generally be found in the first few posts of the SH4 Mods Workshop section. Do be aware that there is also an original version of this mod, Fall of the Rising Sun (FOTRS) that was released by the AOTD_MadMax team years ago. Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate (FotRSU) is an updated version of that, combining most of the work that AOTD_MadMax did, plus updated assets.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-22, 03:17 PM   #8658
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

Now, this is the thread for the Beta pre-release version of the FotRSU mod. You would be better off using the v1.8 and patch of the latest release of the mod at [REL] Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate - v1.8 plus Patch
hey PB, would there be an advantage to archiving/removing this thread for the sake of clarity/confusion?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-22, 05:02 PM   #8659
gman9912
Nub

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Merry Christmas backatcha gman9912. First, of all, no need to deep dive to find the "issue". It is most likely just a matter of understanding the Options available in the game. When you start the game, there is an "Options" menu, and under that, a "Gameplay Settings", where you made your choices for the Submarine School. Those settings also influence the Single Missions, War Patrols and Multiplayer choices. When you start a career, you end up in the on-shore Captain's Office in the home port. While in that office, left-click on the wooden radio console to your left in that view, and you will enter another Options menu, again with the Gameplay Settings choices. Those settings in the Options menu there apply only to that particular career. So if you are running (as an example) four careers concurrently, they can each have different Options set, and those could all be different from the main menu's Options settings. The Stock game, as well as most mods have a very similar set-up.

Now, this is the thread for the Beta pre-release version of the FotRSU mod. You would be better off using the v1.8 and patch of the latest release of the mod at [REL] Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate - v1.8 plus Patch, and to post any questions you have in that thread. It is "stickied" at this time to the SubSim menu, and will generally be found in the first few posts of the SH4 Mods Workshop section. Do be aware that there is also an original version of this mod, Fall of the Rising Sun (FOTRS) that was released by the AOTD_MadMax team years ago. Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate (FotRSU) is an updated version of that, combining most of the work that AOTD_MadMax did, plus updated assets.

Oh for heavens sakes. Ask me if I feel the fool-....Yes the radio on the filing cabinet....You know, I had read some previous posts about people coming back to the office and changing their options and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how....Thank you so, so much propbeanie...I am forever in your debt. In fact, I've written an IOU on the lake ice aside my home, payable to you sometime late spring...A very merry Christmas to you indeed good sir.

Thanx,
gman

P.S.
That is the ver. I have. V1.8 plus patch...Thanx again
gman9912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-22, 09:48 PM   #8660
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
hey PB, would there be an advantage to archiving/removing this thread for the sake of clarity/confusion?
Not really, plus it is "historical"... - the gman probably did like me and did a google search of subsim, and this thread probably floated to the top of the list for some googley search term reason. Normally speaking, you would never see this thread on Page 1 of SubSim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman9912 View Post
Oh for heavens sakes. Ask me if I feel the fool-....Yes the radio on the filing cabinet....You know, I had read some previous posts about people coming back to the office and changing their options and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how....Thank you so, so much propbeanie...I am forever in your debt. In fact, I've written an IOU on the lake ice aside my home, payable to you sometime late spring...A very merry Christmas to you indeed good sir.

Thanx,
gman

P.S.
That is the ver. I have. V1.8 plus patch...Thanx again
What, per chance, did you write that IOU with? Too much hot chocolate, and had to go somewhere?? - but even still, I will forget to change my settings in the office, and don't remember until I'm out on the boat... too late there, and then I forget to do it again when I come back in...

Old 01-02-23, 05:27 PM   #8661
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

gman9912!...back on the surface after an 8-year "silent run!'

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-23, 11:14 PM   #8662
palmtown
Nub

Downloads: 6

I got everything working but for some reason I am getting no sound at all? Has anybody had a problem with getting sound working?
palmtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-23, 12:21 AM   #8663
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

palmtown!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-23, 02:25 AM   #8664
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtown View Post
I got everything working but for some reason I am getting no sound at all? Has anybody had a problem with getting sound working?
well...at the risk of patronizing,

1. check your speakers
2. check the sound level within the game. click on Options or click on the Motorola/Zenith radio on the bookshelf, then Sound.

LAA enabled
Old 01-08-23, 02:56 PM   #8665
palmtown
Nub

I ahve done that I have perfect sound in everything on this PC whether it be music apps or games. This game alone is the only one not producing sound.
Old 01-08-23, 02:59 PM   #8666
palmtown
Nub

So this was the fix. Point the sound device at my monitors speakers then shift it back to my topping DAC. Weird but hey its working. GAME ON!
Old 01-08-23, 06:32 PM   #8667
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
So this was the fix. Point the sound device at my monitors speakers then shift it back to my topping DAC. Weird but hey its working. GAME ON!
good to hear!
now, go sink some ships!

LAA enabled
Old 01-09-23, 03:01 PM   #8668
propbeanie

Quote:
That is the way the 'modern' Windows OS works, versus the way the old DirectX v9 games work. Windows likes to "share" certain assets, like the audio stream, but does NOT like multiple sample rates and bit depths. SH4 on the other hand, wants exclusive use of the audio stream, and will change sample rates and bit-depths on the fly rather frequently. The two sometimes do NOT play well together, especially if you do any DVD / Blueray movie viewing with 48k 24-bit audio. Windows will set the audio stream to that, but then your SH4 game wants 44.1k and 16 bit audio later, and cannot get use of the audio stream. In Windows 10, use Start / Settings / System / Sound and scroll down the page to "Sound Control Panel". Once in Sound Control Panel, on the Playback tab, click on your sound device (Speakers) or the default playback. Sometimes, all you have to do is then click on the "Properties" link for that in the lower-right, then on the Advanced tab there, and the "Test" button, and get the overly loud music tune up on the left, down on the right, and you're good to go. If you instead get an error message, you might have to change the Device, the Sample Rate, Bit Depth, and / or re-start the computer and try again... Windows 11 seems to be worse than 10 in this regard, and it is more difficult to get to the Control Panel, but it is still in there somewhere. I just can't remember "where" off the top of my head...