SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-08, 07:29 PM   #31
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer
Personally I believe the silence means that SHIV modding has not really taken off yet.
You couldn't be farther from the truth with that statement.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
Old 04-06-08, 08:39 PM   #32
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
And I think we are hearing very little from the SH4 modders for the same reason. They will let their work do the talking while we argue about it all. Then we will find all our arguments were irrelevent and we were worried about things that were never going to happen.

Globalexplorer
Quote:
That would really surprise me, because it would mean SHIV modders are a special breed. Usually modders have a nasty habit of announcing their project the very day they started with it, no matter if they can finish it.
Do you spend much time in the SH4 mod forums? Why is it a nasty habit to announce a mod in the making? Makes for good conversation and generally helps the creater if he gets stuck. Or in some cases, dies in the process (rest in peace Dave Bunell) or in the case of RFB left by Beery to be picked up by Swdw and is now a team of guys beta testing the next installment as I type this.

Quote:
Personally I believe the silence means that SHIV modding has not really taken off yet. The old faces from SHIII are tired and returning to rl, the new ones are still playing (maybe that is the best thing, that people still enjoy the game). I do however expect that we will see great mods, as the mod friendliness of the SH engine is still there.

No it sure has not taken off. I will be sure to tell the following creaters of these mods:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108964

Large list huh? So, were is the part were the modding has not taken off?

Do you realize the Skwajers 3D Modding Tool makes just about everything a snap now? From what I gather, the dreaded Hex Editing with this tool makes life vastly simplier.

Please give some credit were credit is do to the fellas on the list located in the link above. In just over a year, 5 major mods have come together as 2 large mod packages. TMO, ROW, MSN, RSRD and RFB. The mods contain playability, historical traffic, realism and an environment mod that is out of this world. Contained within these mods are numberous smaller mods creating a great game.

I'm sure you will enjoy the German boats in SH4 again and very soon
Old 04-06-08, 08:57 PM   #33
Skyhawk
A-ganger

Downloads: 18

RR. Amazes me how quickly you went from a misinterpretation of my intent to applying an erroneous label.

My only intention was to make the point that we should have fun RIGHT NOW with what we have rather than fuss about what might be and doesn't exist yet.

That's ok, no worries, I understand how enthusiasm can get in the way of judgement sometimes. We all make mistakes.

Believe me, if I was trying to be acrimonious there would be no doubt in anyone's mind about it and I would most likely find myself banned in very short order.

The thing we ALL have to realize is that our opinions all cost the same and so long as they are expressed in a respectful and non-derogatory manner it's within the forum rules to make such posts.

Go back and read my replies again, I clearly express appreciation for SH3, SH4, and their respective "supermods", and deliberately expressed appreciation for the work that went into creating them.

Back to my place with the rest of the silent majority . . .
Old 04-06-08, 09:06 PM   #34
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer
Personally I believe the silence means that SHIV modding has not really taken off yet.
You couldn't be farther from the truth with that statement.
You know that, I know that, alot of Pacific/Fleet boat fans know that. But for some people, if its not Uboats with GWX stenciled on it, it doesnt exist. If ignorance is bliss, theres some really happy folks out there.
Old 04-06-08, 09:21 PM   #35
JREX53
Frogman

Downloads: 353
Uploads: 13

You know this topic about an Atlantic Campaign has come up about 5 times now
since the addon has come out. Doesn't anybody do a search anymore.
This forum isn't that old.
Somebody starts up a new thread about this then somebody says something
stupid and the other side takes offense to what is said.
GlobalExplorer have you had your head stuck somewhere for the last year.
The SH4 modders have been doing excellent work making very good mods.
They have a lot better handle on this game then you think they do.

Old 04-06-08, 10:03 PM   #36
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREX53
You know this topic about an Atlantic Campaign has come up about 5 times now
since the addon has come out. Doesn't anybody do a search anymore.
This forum isn't that old.
Somebody starts up a new thread about this then somebody says something
stupid and the other side takes offense to what is said.
GlobalExplorer have you had your head stuck somewhere for the last year.
The SH4 modders have been doing excellent work making very good mods.
They have a lot better handle on this game then you think they do.
Thank you! Its a great time to be patrolling in a Fleet Boat. For many of us its a dream come true!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Old 04-07-08, 06:41 AM   #37
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Why is it a nasty habit to announce a mod in the making? Makes for good conversation and generally helps the creater if he gets stuck.
Depends on what you mean. Whether the point is to announce an idea, ask questions, gather ideas / support / or if the point is to discuss something that will never exist. I am annoyed by the half finished jobs, especially because these are the ones that create the most noise. If you're happy with seeing the same things repeat over and over again, that's your problem. I am not, and I am prepared to piss off some ppl because of that.

My comments are not directed on SHIV modders , but on modders in general. Since the exciting start in the 90s, it has now become much more difficult to get enjoyment out of mods, which mostly results from the fact that modders refuse to organize their work somewhat professionally (professionally as the GWX team did - hence the satisfaction with GWX).

If not someone finds a way to give it direction, modding will turn into a gigantic waste of time - for the users and the creators - look at other games like the TW series to see what I mean. Mods, mods, mods. Each does something better, but other things worse - but they can be made compatible if you follow these 20 simple steps - ah the decisions! Wonderful.

I don't mind if this pisses off some people. Imo sooner or later you will realize that this is really becoming a problem.

Plz take it easy.

Old 04-07-08, 07:22 AM   #38
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

I actually think that modding is in great shape. Having played SH4 since 1.0, I have seen a real spirit of cooperation amongst modders all in the spirit of making the experience a better one. As well, some of the modders have be tweaking the game from the very beginning, quite an accomplishment given the fact that there have been patches to 1.4 and an add on. If anything we should be giving them all medals rather than asking them to do even more.

Thus if the above is happening, then those of us using the mods should
do our part by:

- Reading documentation that comes with the mod. This in itself would make many folks very happy. If one researched some of the older threads\posts, you would find they could have been avoided by simply looking at the mod read-me.
- Researching the mod's thread a bit to find out about compatibility
with other mods, etc.
- Using the search option. I can handle newer players not doing this, but when
folks who know better post something like " I would search for this but I am to lazy, or I did not want to read the thread ( even parts of it ) ". Many answers for existing questions are in older threads.
- Folks starting new threads with questions rather than posting that question in the original thread.
- Asking questions in away that people will respond to.

I don't mod ( except for a few unofficial tweaks, and a little mod I released at Christmas ) but SH4 would have been shelved long before this if not for the great work here done by modders. I don't expect them to do it all, in fact if they are doing there part then I will do mine by paying attention to what's going on in the modding scene and if I can, figure stuff out on my own. It's my way of giving back to a great, great community.

RDP

Back in the Day

Old 04-07-08, 07:33 AM   #39
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

We're sorry to have to interrupt this program to make the following important announcement:

Due to a sudden escalation in violent incidents between the Pacifico and Atlantico sub gangs, and following reccomendations from the Lord Chief Justice and a recent home office review, the government has unanimously decided to reclassify submarine simulations as Class A simulations. Consequently, anyone found in posession of a submarine simulation will face prosecution, a 2000 pound fine and risk a custodial sentence of up to 3 years. Anyone found supplying submarine simulations will be castigated....which is very painfull indeed.

Good evening.

Old 04-07-08, 08:04 AM   #40
Gezoes
XO

Downloads: 22
So... who is doing what for wich game now that SH4-Uboats is out.

I can't stand the tension! :rotfl:

"Wonderful things are happening..."

Give us a hint! :hmm:
Old 04-07-08, 08:27 AM   #41
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
We're sorry to have to interrupt this program to make the following important announcement:

Due to a sudden escalation in violent incidents between the Pacifico and Atlantico sub gangs, and following reccomendations from the Lord Chief Justice and a recent home office review, the government has unanimously decided to reclassify submarine simulations as Class A simulations. Consequently, anyone found in posession of a submarine simulation will face prosecution, a 2000 pound fine and risk a custodial sentence of up to 3 years. Anyone found supplying submarine simulations will be castigated....which is very painfull indeed.

Good evening.
The Home Office holds no sway here, I have DOMINION.

Old 04-07-08, 08:32 AM   #42
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

I've never really understood the unnecessary tension between Silent Hunter III and Silent Hunter IV on the subject of modding.

Both games were released in an unfinished state. Both games needed significant patching and modding, and both games got significant patching and modding. The end result are two excellent subsims that continue to grow.

As someone who is not capable of modding in any shape or form, but who happily uses the excellent mods offered, I salute all the modders on both games.

I'm looking forward to having a U Boat Atlantic campaign within Silent Hunter 1V, but as I have no interest in U Boats in the Indian Ocean, for now I'm running 1.5 but only using the Pacific campaign.
Old 04-07-08, 08:40 AM   #43
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044
I've never really understood the unnecessary tension between Silent Hunter III and Silent Hunter IV on the subject of modding.
Because everyone on the SH3 side is ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus
But for some people, if its not Uboats with GWX stenciled on it, it doesnt exist. If ignorance is bliss, theres some really happy folks out there.
Old 04-07-08, 08:42 AM   #44
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Maybe I should just ban SH3 and U-boat modding from S3D, see how the dogs bark then... :rotfl:

j/k
Old 04-07-08, 08:45 AM   #45
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Crow would be for dinner.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
Closed Thread