SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-08-07, 10:24 PM   #1
jazman
Commander

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0
Default Dead Graphics Card

I fired up SH4, was playing with video settings. I noticed it was unusually sluggish, so I kept lowering the effects, until it was at the low end, and it was still sluggish. So I checked my card temp, it was WAY up. I checked the cooling fan, it was dead. So I am in drydock while I wait for a new fan, on order.

I threw in an old backup card, but it can't handle the game.
Old 10-09-07, 10:42 AM   #2
stuntcow
Torpedoman

Downloads: 13

Bummer, that does happen to us all from time to time.

"How long can you tread water?"
stuntcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 11:10 AM   #3
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Did you check to see if the seperate power connection for the fan on the card was still connected and connected properly ?

My machine wont even boot if that connection is not made but thats my machine.

Heres a lesson kiddies... clean your heat sinks at least twice a year
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 06:10 PM   #4
jazman
Commander

Yeah, the power was connected. I found out about that when I first installed it. I had it plugged in, but not properly plugged, so I had a strange display. After a bit of twiddling it was right.

Yeah, the fan's effectively dead. When I push it around it kind of tries, and eventually starts a little, then goes, but that's not good enough. It needs to work right.

I have a Zalman fan on the way.
Old 10-09-07, 06:42 PM   #5
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazman
Yeah, the power was connected. I found out about that when I first installed it. I had it plugged in, but not properly plugged, so I had a strange display. After a bit of twiddling it was right.

Yeah, the fan's effectively dead. When I push it around it kind of tries, and eventually starts a little, then goes, but that's not good enough. It needs to work right.

I have a Zalman fan on the way.
Sounds like either the 'brushes' or bearings in the fan motor are shot. Doubt you can find a replacement for it. Most of the fans used on GPU's are propiatory (unique). Shame really. Reminds me of the old "The 50 cent fuse hung in there so the $500.00 power supply could fry".

How old is the card.. might get a warrenty on it.
Old 10-09-07, 07:23 PM   #6
OldFrenchy
Mate

Downloads: 63

My previous setup used 2 6600gt's in sli- over time the fans on the cards fried up- actually melted on one of 'em. I went to Frys and bought the small chip fans, screwed them into the heatsink and plugged them into the PS. The operation worked flawlessly and the fans only cost about 5 bucks each. Just be carefull to get screws that are not so long as to hit the graphics card. I think I used small drywall screws.
OldFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 08:13 PM   #7
jazman
Commander

The Zalman should work, the card has a standard-sized set of holes for mounting a fan/heatsink. Also, the card company, under warranty, is sending a new fan (I was a bit...impatient, and jumped the gun on the Zalman; let's just say SH routinely uses up my stock of patience). So I have two fans on the way. I'll probably go with the stock and return the Zalman, or keep it for when the replacement dies...

I keep my old hardware. I have two self-built boxes, and one is a "hand-me-down." So this card has a few years left. The ATI card in the hand-me-down has a replaced fan, it was fun when that kicked over. Actually, that one gave out a lot of noise, so I had warning.

So many fans are cheap junk.
Old 10-09-07, 08:56 PM   #8
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

I got a box full of old video cards, sound cards, nic cards, and thats just at home.

You should see the pile I have at work :rotfl: