SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-18, 01:50 PM   #6271
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Hi there,

Sorry to ask here, but is there any chance to get a patch for high resolution users like me (2560x1440)?

Game looks sooo beautiful on such resolution, but actually with some little troubles:
- chrono and gramophone not showing up at this resolution
- chrono and gramophone quite small
- command icons bar quite small
- TDC commands in periscope view and AOB/distance/speed dials quite small
- plotting tools quite small on nav map

All this is of course due to high resolution, but may be you could solve this...
I think nowadays 2560x1440 is pretty common for good screens.

I can live with it, but it would be so nice to be able to run FOTRS (U) at 2560x1440... image is perfect with appropriate nvidia settings.

By the way, i gave a try for first time with FOTRS 1.3, and what a nice surprise!
Amazing quality mod here, running so fluent without any bug so far...
First time i see such a nice sea rendering with SH4!
What a good job

Thanks for reading.
We'll see what CapnScurvy, or another video-knowledgeable person says about the game being capable of doing higher-resolutions like that, but one thing you could try is to select your "sh4.exe" and right-click on it. Choose the "Properties" selection on the 'context menu', and then left-click on the "Compatibility" tab. Under the "Settings" section in the middle of that page, tick the box for "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings", and see if that helps with your display.

Is the 2560x1440 the 'Native' resolution for your computer display monitor? Is that what you have Windows set to? I have no idea what the highest setting that the game can go to is, but my game has followed my LCD screens over the years as I've matched the monitor's 'Native' resolution, Windows screen resolution, and then the game's. I basically ignore the fact that my video card can go much higher than my current 1280x1024 LCD's 'Native' resolution. I don't know if that would be the case for you or not, because resolution isn't the only factor, and that aspect ratio may well influence things... Sorry I'm not more help on that.

In the meantime Fifi, this is Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, currently in 'beta' v0.71. While it is based on all of the AOTD team's Fall of the Rising Sun versions from v1.2, v1.3, and v2.0+, it is still a slightly different version, but with a very similar "environment"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-18, 02:06 PM   #6272
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
hey pb,
when do you think the next version (.72?) of FOTRSU will be released? (the 70% solution?)
Not too sure now... thanks to torpedobait, we are having to re-do some more of the campaign and plane layers... (just kidding torpedobait - we should have re-done them anyway)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
... Glad the plane problem was real. I'm sure you will come up with something to cut it back. I used to see the same problem when laying off Savo Island, but I can't give you a time frame for that one. Have not had a recent encounter there so I don't know if it still exists, or whose planes they were. Might have been prior to establishing the base at Tulagi...No rush there, you know, something to do "in your copious free time".
The planes were real, that is for certain. I added in a couple of new Australian airbase at Port Moresby and Australia, so that the Far East subs could see the Aussies flying about in their new-fangled "KittyHawk" airplanes, which are P-40 Warhawks souped-up with stronger engines, and painted very similarly to the Flying Tigers... can't have a game with such pretty planes not flying those airplanes... Anyway, both the "Normal" and the "Large" airbases use the B-24 Liberator, so when I added 3 more bases, two "Normal" and one "Large", there were over two times as many B-24 Liberators capable of striking Rabaul... Maybe not totally unrealistic, nor totally off-the-wall 'historically' for the game, but the hit on the computer trying to draw all of that. Those new bases have now been made "Small", with no bombers, only fighters. This is similar to the invasion forces you'll see traveling about the Southwest Pacific in 1941 and 1942... Most of them have about one fourth to one third of the ships the real invasion forces had, but the Silent Hunter game has a tough time trying to draw 70 plus ships ~and~ all of the airplanes of even one group, much less several groups...

Old 07-03-18, 02:18 PM   #6273
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453
Uploads: 0

Thanks for your replie Propbeanie.

Yes it is my native resolution, and i run all games at this resolution (sh4 sh5 by the way)
Windows is set to this resolution, but of course i can lower resolution to any one wanted.
Running 2560x1440 greatly improve the poor AA set to X4, on side note.
My graphic card is an old Zotac 580, my processor an old I5 quad core and everything is very fluent. My monitor is a Samsung quite old too, but was high end at the time.

I will try your tip about the sh4.exe tomorrow and see what happen.
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-18, 02:30 PM   #6274
propbeanie

Now, if you want to talk "old" (in computers)... that's me... A duo-core dual core 2.1 GHz box, and another with a 2.4 quad from the same family - kind of like sisters, only not as pretty... 2 gig of RAM in the little guy, and 8 gig in the quad. An ancient AGP GeForce 6400 nVidia in the really old box, and a donated PCIe GTX 560 in the not-quite-so-old box... both use old-old-old MultiSync 1970 LCD monitors... btw, that's the model number, the "1970", not the year of purchase... - Needless to say, it is most difficult to talk to some of you 'modern' folk... - Hopefully, you'll find joy with the DPI setting thingie... While I'm thinking about it, what is the highest resolution the game shows you can go in its menu?

Old 07-03-18, 02:34 PM   #6275
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499

How is FOTRS compared to TMO 2.5?

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-18, 03:41 PM   #6276
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
While I'm thinking about it, what is the highest resolution the game shows you can go in its menu?
My native reso, hopefully
Game might detect it…
Old 07-03-18, 04:16 PM   #6277
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

Quote:
Game looks sooo beautiful on such resolution, but actually with some little troubles:
- command icons bar quite small
- TDC commands in periscope view and AOB/distance/speed dials quite small
- plotting tools quite small on nav map
With the exception of chrono and gramophone not showing up, this is exactly what I experienced when I tried to use display scaling in SH4 a while back. I quickly went back to my native resolution of 1920 X 1080. This because it made it too small, and too difficult to click on, and read, the areas of the screen that I needed to. Before coming to SH3, and then SH4, I was really into FSX. I learned of display scaling with FSX back then. In both FSX and SH4 scaling really makes for a beautiful rendering of the sim enviroment. But there is a penalty. Everything that is not the main display of the sim enviroment itself shrinks. For those that don't know what display scaling is, it works something like this. You tell your graphics card to use it and the graphics card will render the image at a resolution greater than your native resolution and then shrink the whole image back down to the native resolution of your display. It makes for very nice looking graphics and I think it is a fps friendly way to get around some fps issues with aliasing, for example. But when I set my graphics card to use scaling to render at 4 times my native resolution (7680 X 4320), then shrink it back down for display on my 1920 X 1080 monitor the shrinking happened. Both in FSX and SH4, I was left with a menu bar that was 4 times smaller. Anything other than the main enviroment was 4 times smaller. In FSX, at least, there is somewhat of a solution for some of these adverse side effects available by using Steve's DX10 Scenery Fixer. I am aware of no such option for SH4.

Quote:
These two statements seem to me to be mutually exclusive. Can you clarify?

Quote:
Yes it is my native resolution
Are you sure? Can you double check that?

Quote:
Running 2560x1440 greatly improve the poor AA set to X4
This sure does sound like display scaling to me. Can you check to see if you are perhaps using dpi scaling?

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA

Last edited by Immelmann; 07-04-18 at 10:42 PM. Reason: change dpi scaling to display scaling. and too many "to be"s.
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-18, 08:15 PM   #6278
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Six MK14s, set to run at 18 feet, run beneath an Ada Maru Old Freighter. Recognition manual has the draft of that boat as 25.9 feet.

3 min video link:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/280617171

Acer Predator G6-720
16 GB DDR4
Old 07-03-18, 10:59 PM   #6279
propbeanie

Why - six MkXIVs?!??!!!? I do believe I can hear Lockwood ~and~ Christie both from here... "Two is one too many for a ship that size, mister!"

But seriously, we'll look into it Immelmann. Thanks for the report!

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-03-18 at 11:18 PM. Reason: where is my sprelling chekkerre??
Old 07-03-18, 11:16 PM   #6280
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niume View Post
How is FOTRS compared to TMO 2.5?
Very similar. FotRS was originally built on TMO v1.7. But this is Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate... FotRSU has taken versions 1.2, 1.3, & 2.0 of the original FotRS, retaining most of the ships and planes from them all, along with the gorgeous environment, and gotten it almost-all to play nice together. One thing different is that we've got CapnScurvy helping us whip it into shape. Plus, we've got some top-shelf 'private consultants' helping as part of the team, and I mean modders and beta testers. So FotRSU is like the best of all the SH4 mods rolled into one...

Old 07-04-18, 01:57 AM   #6281
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
With the exception of chrono and gramophone not showing up, this is exactly what I experienced when I tried to use display scaling in SH4 a while back. I quickly went back to my native resolution of 1920 X 1080. This because it made it too small, and too difficult to click on, and read, the areas of the screen that I needed to. Before coming to SH3, and then SH4, I was really into FSX. I learned of display scaling with FSX back then. In both FSX and SH4 scaling really makes for a beautiful rendering of the sim enviroment. But there is a penalty. Everything that is not the main display of the sim enviroment itself shrinks. For those that don't know what display scaling is, it works something like this. You tell your graphics card to use it and the graphics card will render the image at a resolution greater than your native resolution and then shrink the whole image back down to the native resolution of your display. It makes for very nice looking graphics and I think it is a fps friendly way to get around some fps issues with aliasing, for example. But when I set my graphics card to use scaling to render at 4 times my native resolution (7680 X 4320), then shrink it back down for display on my 1920 X 1080 monitor the shrinking happened. Both in FSX and SH4, I was left with a menu bar that was 4 times smaller. Anything other than the main enviroment was 4 times smaller. In FSX, at least, there is somewhat of a solution for some of these adverse side effects available by using Steve's DX10 Scenery Fixer. I am aware of no such option for SH4.

These two statements seem to me to be to be mutually exclusive. Can you clarify?

Are you sure? Can you double check that?

This sure does sound like display scaling to me. Can you check to see if you are perhaps using dpi scaling?
Hi Immelmann,

I solved my chrono and gramophone not showing up by changing a value in the menu_1080_768. Now i can see them but they are quite small (as per high resolution)
The value just moved them more in the center of screen so they can be seen.

Yes i’m Sure of my native reso because in the windows 10 panel where you change between all reso, the 2560x1440 appear the first one on the list and the only one recommanded...

As Propbeanie told me, In the compatibility tab of my sh4.exe, i saw my « display scaling on high DPI settings » was already checked...
I tried to uncheck it, but game doesn’t launch at all.
So no joy on that side.
Old 07-04-18, 07:27 AM   #6282
Fifi
Navy Seal

In fact, all this resolution problems that i mentioned above are linked to the menu 1024_768 file...

I managed to get a bigger clock for my resolution just by adjusting the G29 part of this menu file.
After downloading a mod called Larger TMO Stopwatches, i copied and pasted all the G29 part linked to the clock in this file, and result is perfect.

I will try testing to adjust the TDC dials a bit bigger if i can.
We’ll see
Old 07-04-18, 08:30 AM   #6283
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
Six MK14s, set to run at 18 feet, run beneath an Ada Maru Old Freighter. Recognition manual has the draft of that boat as 25.9 feet.

3 min video link:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/280617171

as one of your peers, i salute you, captain, for a fine approach and firing solution.
now if BuOrd can just get their head out of their a33, we could get some hits and sink some ships.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-18, 11:31 AM   #6284
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Yes i’m Sure of my native reso because in the windows 10 panel where you change between all reso, the 2560x1440 appear the first one on the list and the only one recommanded...
I hope you get it worked out. Your aspect ratio is 16 by 9, as is mine. So the use of display scaling was the only thing I could think of to cause what you were describing. This especially since I had experimented with it myself and found the same problems. So I felt that I should mention my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
as one of your peers, i salute you, captain, for a fine approach and firing solution.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Why - six MkXIVs?!??!!!? I do believe I can hear Lockwood ~and~ Christie both from here... "Two is one too many for a ship that size, mister!"
Captain somehow got hold of an enemy submarine chart, ignored orders to go on station, instead choosing to go IJN submarine hunting off the northern coast of Japan. Having patrolled up and down the expected tracks of enemy submarine navigation, for weeks and weeks, with no contact, frustration was beginning to set in. Sonar, and then radar, contact with the Ada Maru Old Freighter showed he was running down a track that would have me within spitting distance. Carefully set up the approach only to have him change to a new course. This made the new firing solution, remaining submerged, a long range one. I fired six, on high speed setting in a spread, at around 3600 yards? Very pleased with the tracks they ran on. Probably the best long range shot that I have ever taken on a moving target. I was only hoping for one or two to make purchase. A side note. The air cover up here is not nearly as blistering as I have read described elsewhere in theater. Nor nearly as heavy as I myself have been under off southern Japan.

Acer Predator G6-720
16 GB DDR4

Last edited by Immelmann; 07-04-18 at 10:40 PM. Reason: syntax i.e. 3600 thousand yards, lol.
Old 07-05-18, 11:37 PM   #6285
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

June 28th, 1942 18:30 hrs. 142.7 E, 41.3 N. Approx. 124 mi. EESE Hokadate, 122 mi. ESE Muroran, 56 mi SSSW Urakowa. Contact with large IJN Task Force steaming ESE very fast. Task force consists of many destroyers, several cruisers, two merchants, and two Escort Carriers Taiyo Class.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/281368342 1 hr 35 min 42 sec

Contact at: 4 min 35 sec

Realize Carriers are part of task force at: 5 min

Two Escort Carriers Taiyo Class draft 24.6 feet. Fire six MK14s in a spread running at a depth setting of 18 feet at: 41 min 45 sec

First torpedo impact at: 42 min 55 sec

Carrier Sinks at: 57 min 35 sec

Unexplained fire on IJN cruiser at: 1 hr 4 min 25 sec

Windows 10 crash to desktop at: 1hr 35 min 20 sec

Notes: Carriers seem to be bobbing a lot in medium heavy seas. Believe, as a result, 4 of 6 torpedos ran under and past. Can only speculate as to cause of fire on cruiser. Certainly believe cause was not torpedo due to a number of factors including set to run at 18 feet, range to any target beyond carrier believed to be greater than 4500 yards, and target beyond believed to be destroyer, not cruiser. Believe cruiser was further back in task force formation. Can only speculate cruiser had collision with another vessel of same Task Force.

Question: Never having experienced a crash to desktop in Windows 10 before, I'm wondering if anyone else has. And if so, does it happen with no windows warning dialouge box like I was getting in Windows 7?

Answer to questions you might ask: Yes I have doubled verified that Large Address Aware is activated for the executable file I was running during the crash. Yes I have a save and can reproduce this contact over and over. Also I have given extra meticulous date and location information in hopes that anyone who wishes to reproduce this contact for themselves is able to do so. Please let me know if you are able to reproduce the contact.

Acer Predator G6-720
16 GB DDR4

Last edited by Immelmann; 07-05-18 at 11:39 PM. Reason: changed your to you are