SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-18, 08:54 PM   #1
Murph89
Watch

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Beginners modeling

I saw this earlier tonight https://www.squadron.com/product-p/sp870912.htm and was wondering if this would be a good start? It has a Gato Class and VIIC U-boat in the kit (from Hobby Boss). I've only ever put together a 1/535 USS Missouri kit. Started to paint with a brush but the brush strokes left behind really turned me off. After viewing some of the members projects on the forum and others work on the web, the model building bug is starting to bite again. I've also done some war gaming models i.e.; Warhammer 40K, Warhammer fantasy. I realize an airbrush is pretty essential. What tools and equipment is recommended? What are some good brands to look for (Models and tools, paints wise)?
Old 01-12-18, 09:56 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I had someone ask me the "what tools" question a long time ago. Here was my answer at the time:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=181
Old 01-12-18, 10:24 PM   #3
Murph89
Watch

Downloads: 15

Thanks for some insight Sailor Steve
Old 01-12-18, 10:45 PM   #4
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

For plastic models, you'll want to check into Tamiya's extra thin cement.
If you ever used spirit-type (thin) liquid glue like Plastic Weld, its the same thing only not as "hot" so its easier to work with. Tamiya Extra Thin was a game-changer for me in the smaller scales.

The good old Exacto knife with #11 blades hasn't been bettered yet.

You'll also need a small hobby file of some kind for cleaning up parts.

Paint starts to get complicated. It depends a lot on where you are, how much room you have to devote to a painting area, how much hassle are you willing to put up with, and in the end- how much better do you want (or need) to get?
I'm not saying your current techniques might be bad. Not everyone has the patience, budget, or time to crank out multi-layer award winning effects. Brush painting is still a viable option, btw. There are some small tricks you can use to get good results.

For the time being, I'd advise to just get back to the basics at first then build up as you go along.

You may also want to check around your area for modelling clubs.
If it seems like they're more interested in contests and competitions, keep looking. Those kinds of clubs are usually more "cut throat" and you want to find a group that's open and willing to talk and teach how they do things.

Last edited by ET2SN; 01-12-18 at 11:27 PM.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 08:50 PM   #5
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Some fine point tweezers are good. Plus, I'd get a couple of nice display cases to keep them looking nice.
Old 01-19-18, 04:02 AM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Murph89
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 04:59 AM   #7
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

One quick beginner's tip I meant to post but forgot:

Learn how to care for your tools.

We all have our favorite paint brush, tweezers, etc. and they stay favorites as long as we keep them clean and operating.

How-to vids and full builds on Youtube usually don't show this but its really important.

Let's say you just plunked down a lot of money for an air brush and compressor. Before you start chucking down paint, learn how to take the air brush apart, clean and lube the parts, and put it back together. The same goes for doing maint. on the compressor and its filters. Get in the habit of cleaning your tools as soon as you finish a painting session, it will save you a lot of wasted time later.

Paint brushes, even inexpensive ones, can last for years if you take care of them. That includes the type of paint you use for brushing. You want to be certain your brush isn't contaminated by a certain type of paint or thinner before you start your detail painting with another type of paint.

Many of us use different types of paint for different effects (enamels, oils, lacquers, acrylics, water based, etc.) and its rare when these paint types get along without some some kind of chemical reaction- especially before they have fully cured.

Contamination is what almost always ruins paint jobs. You put down a nice coat of paint but notice later it curdled as it dried or it even starts to curdle as you're putting it down. Another sign of contamination is that nice flat shade of paint has dried as a mixture of gloss, satin flat, semi gloss, basically everything BUT flat.
Nine times out of ten, you're dealing with a contamination issue between different types of paint (some paints are just that delicate, even after they cure) or else there is still mold release on the bare plastic of the kit.

My last bit advise for new builders- none of us started out as masters. You can watch vids of builds and painting until the cows come home. These guys make it look so easy!
Its anything but. You need to gain the experience before you dive into that $100+ plus kit. If you're new or coming back to the hobby after many years, buy some cheap kits and slam them together. If something doesn't work, buy another cheap one and try again. It doesn't matter what genre (cars, planes, tanks, ships) of kits you buy, just make sure they're cheap. Use these kits to get the experience you'll need to build that masterpiece later on.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model