SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-06-10, 12:55 AM   #331
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ships-R-Us View Post
Nvidia has released new updated drivers on the 19th. I just discovered this.

I hated them...how'd they work for you...Went back to the old ones.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 01:01 AM   #332
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by That's not my dog View Post
Hey Arclight, I finally had the chance to try the file to get the blocky fire and oil to go away, it did not work. I went into port and exited the program, and installed the mod. Restarted the game, went to gunnery school and the blocks were still there. I then exited Sh4, took all mods off, started SH4, and went to gunnery school and shot some holes in a freighter. Bingo, great fire and smoke!
So, now I am going to install the mods one by one and see which one is causing the problem. The saga continues.......
Yea, you got some serious mod soup. Don't know how much of that is the problem with video, but if you run them in the order listed, some unwated conflicts. You're also running some that aren't for RFB and you only need the one ver of EAX for RFB. As stated, run your supermod first and go from there. I haven't run the caustic effects, but seems like it caused problems when ran with merchant skins, causing some really weird night time glow on the water.
Old 02-06-10, 01:28 AM   #333
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Downloads: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
I hated them...how'd they work for you...Went back to the old ones.
I know nothing about this Nhancer stuff so I just work in stock mode. I see no difference between this driver and the previous as evidenced by their own write up on it. I am only using again with my new "legal" install SH1.5 w/TMO 1.9 and the patch w/ RSRD and the patch w/ EAX sound Mod on HIGH settings w/ single core CPU 2.80ghz Pentium4 hyperthread and 3gb ram with no problems at all and no mouse stickys or time lags.

IN HEAVY ACTION MY FRAME RATE DROPS BUT I'M SO BUSY STAYING ALIVE I NOTICE NOTHING, AS I'M NOT WATCHING AN HD MOVIE, JUST DRIVING A SUBMARINE.

Of course my game his the only thing on a dedicated hard drive and that means a lot as others here discovered. I am a neat freak w/my HD's, and keep bogus processes to a minimum. There are so many things you can do to improve your performance. I even defrag the game drive and C drive every week and keep my registry spotless. Malwarebytes and a few others can turn your gaming time into a new honeymoon with normal routine maintenance.

HOWEVER, THROW IN PACIFIC ENVIRONMENTS, IN MY CASE I HAVE TO BACK OF "af" SETTINGS A BIT
Ships-R-Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 11:37 AM   #334
Gunfighter
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 133
Default blocky fire

http://www.filefront.com/15325399/repair_blocky_fire.7z
try this link, It fixed same problem for me
Old 02-15-10, 01:29 PM   #335
rmr1701
Watch

Downloads: 55
Default Old nvidia

Well, you all may not be able to help with settings on the older gear I have, but it doesn't hurt to check.
Biggest problem at the moment is slow, jerky cursor and slow mouse click response times, jerky smoke and screen movement.

Compaq Presario SR1917CL
XP Pro Media Center SP3
AMD64 2200Mhz
1.5 Gb Ram
nVidia GeForce 6150LE built in-256mb

I'm not a computer tech, I know enough to be dangerous and this is our home PC, so if it doesn't work right, I have to deal with the wife. I don't know enough to want to go poking around too much in system files. I have installed the latest drivers I can find, but I'm not sure if it helped or not. Buying a new graphics card is just not an option right now.
rmr1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 09:10 PM   #336
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

It's your graphicscard, you're just experiencing low framerates.

No amount of tweaking is going to fix it, time for an upgrade.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 10:50 PM   #337
Ships-R-Us
Commander

As a last resort back off the Anisotropic Filter (AF) settings and try that, then if need be back off the other settings to see if you get some relief and better game play until another card comes your way.......
Old 03-04-10, 09:34 PM   #338
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Default Nhancer vs Nvidia Control Panel

I have a GeForce 9800GTX+ running the new driver. I never tried the Nhancer program for fear it would overclock and damage the card...

If anyone wants to tell of the advantages of Nhancer over the Nvidia control panel I will be greatful.
Old 03-05-10, 07:44 AM   #339
Arclight
Navy Seal

Has a few more options, particularly for troubleshooting.

Much better explanation of what the options do.

Just a more complete controlpanel, though the average user probably has no use for it.

Old 03-20-10, 08:33 PM   #340
Akula
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 56

I am having a terrible to to get AA to work with SH4

I have the nVidia 197.13 drivers, together with nHancer and it still looks like a woodsaw with jagged egdes everywhere.

I had it working a while back by disabling Gamma Correction, but now that doesn't even work.

I also tried the nHancer settings shared here and also nothing....

Any futher ideas will be very much appreciated.

I have a 8800Ultra

Thanks,
G
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 11:01 AM   #341
Armistead
Rear Admiral

I'm lost. Even though I let my son have my gaming machine, I played on this rig for over a year fine and the last few months great until the new nvidia drivers. I think they blew my card or damaged it, but how do I know. After I loaded the new drivers, wasn't long my screen went black. It kept doing it. Then they pull the driver for OH cards.. Loaded the 21's and the same. Finally I cleared registry of all nvidia crap and started over and it worked, just low frames. However, it passes 3 seperate video stability test with high marks.

When I get to the office, the mouse lags bad. If I go to one of the other rooms per say, torps, men, ect..mouse works fine, just office. The overall game seems slower, FPS in sub around 20-25 at the cam 30ish

Having gotten so mad and tried everything, I did a complete format of my system, reinstalled window, everything up to date.. Figured that would do it , load the game and mouse still slow...rolled back to a earlier driver...nada.

Did two seperate video stability test again and was in the high end of norm. Cleaned everything, but good as I clean once a month, ram test fine, ect.

Was using the nhancer settings listed here before and worked great, all settings maxed.

Yea, system a little weak, but it ran the game before maxed out in high resolutions.

No clue now.

AMD 64x2 6000
4 mgs ram
nvidia 9600gt
audigy LS
Old 03-23-10, 11:38 AM   #342
Arclight
Navy Seal

Maybe try forcing options in Nv control panel instead of Nhancer. You should be able to set it up if you can do it in Nhancer.

Also check the game's profile, make sure it's not overriding your global settings.

Old 03-23-10, 03:41 PM   #343
Armistead
Rear Admiral

After all this maddness....

I had the updated sounddriver when I reinstalled win. For whatever reason I decided to uninstall and reinstall it. I had it on a disc, but this time used the DL on the net, same driver, just had copied it to disc before for the win install..Here's what's strange..after I unistalled sounddriver and rebooted to reinstall, my screen booted back into 800x600 and the video card had a yellow mark on devices..Why would removing a sound driver disable your video card driver? However, I reinstalled the sound driver, rebooted and video driver showed fine and now no lag...everything works..

Hell, don't ask me, but glad it works now.
Old 03-26-10, 07:01 PM   #344
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 86

thx Rubini for your tweak-guide.

I downloaded nhancer and followed your guide-lines in the first post thoroughly. though it didn't fix my problem with the sun-halo, but I got more fps in every map or exterior view.
even my old 6600GT is now capable of around 50fps when on bridge in stormy wheather, around 85 in 2d-maps and 35fps in control-room.
the textures seem now bit lighter and sharper and the edges are better rounded.

thx again for sharing your knowledge!
Old 06-18-10, 03:40 PM   #345
JoeCorrado
Weps

Downloads: 176
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ships-R-Us View Post
I have a GeForce 9800GTX+ running the new driver. I never tried the Nhancer program for fear it would overclock and damage the card...

If anyone wants to tell of the advantages of Nhancer over the Nvidia control panel I will be greatful.

Running the new drivers w/ GeForce 9600GT on 64bit Windows 7 - Using Nhancer with settings recommended in this thread as well.

No problems, no conflicts. Nhancer does not "overclock" your video card. All Nhancer does is to make the already available settings for your card assessable in one easy place AND it will apply the optimized setting for the game only when the game is loaded. Be sure to create a new profile named SH4 and set Nhancer to load that profile when the SH4 executable is started.

My Game starts with GFO - Keepin' it real as it needs to be!
JoeCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote