Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-13-18, 04:13 PM   #1
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452
Uploads: 0

Default Replacing SH5 via Steam by DVD

Hi,

I bought an SH5 DVD to replace my Steam version download.

In the Berbster tutorial, there is one about this, but i don’t understand:
« If you already have a Uplay account play it safe and set up a new one for your new Silent Hunter 5 installation »

Does it mean i have to delete my old Uplay stuff, and have to re download a new one?
Do i have to make a new account ?

If i want to keep my last career save i made with my Steam game, is it compatible with the dvd version?
What documents/SH5 folder do i need to copy back with dvd version?

Thanks in advance for replies

Last edited by Fifi; 09-13-18 at 04:31 PM.
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-18, 04:38 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Fifi
Your Uplay account should not be a problem for you to keep it.

I would suggest that you make a copy of your SH5 saved games folder found in C:\Documents\SH5

Because the game launcher links to your Uplay account you also need to uninstall the game launcher in the Control Panel Program and Features this will be under Ubisoft or Uplay.

Because you have now made a copy of your SH5 games folder when you uninstall your STEAM SH5 game you can uninstall your saved games as well if you are asked.
This will remove the existing SH5 folder which will be replaced by your dvd install.

Make sure that there are no Ubisoft folders showing in the C:\Progam Files (x86) directory.
You do not want anything left behind that relates to STEAM with SH5.

Use the custom DVD installation to select German language and you can install the game on any drive.

If you do not want the default Game launcher installed in C:\Progam Files (x86) directory then you can install this one on any drive.
Post #97 SH5 Game Launcher Install It Anywhere On Any Drive

If you see an error regarding Uplay and no internet connection then use the ESC key and launch your game after updating from the SH5.exe.

When the game is installed open the SH5 games folder you saved and copy and paste the contents into the new SH5 saved game folder.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-18, 06:27 AM   #3
Fifi
Navy Seal

Many thanks Peter, this is clear now.
Waiting for my dvd in a couple of days now.

I hope it will solve some minor game trouble encountered with my Steam version, as the destroyed marks messed up every saved. Who knows...
But main thing is i will be able to install game outside programfiles X86, and i think my loading times will be divided by 2.

I will report back for the changes, if any
Old 09-14-18, 05:28 PM   #4
THEBERBSTER

Hi Fifi
When you have updated your game to v1.2 make a copy of it.
As you know your saved game folder will be SH5.
If you install this application in your copy you can run a second SH5 game by using a new set of 3 digits for the saved game folder.
Multiple Silent Hunter 5 Installs [S5M]_MULTiSH5 By BL!TZKE!EG
Peter
Old 09-15-18, 01:56 AM   #5
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Many thanks Peter, this is clear now.
Waiting for my dvd in a couple of days now.

I hope it will solve some minor game trouble encountered with my Steam version, as the destroyed marks messed up every saved. Who knows...
But main thing is i will be able to install game outside programfiles X86, and i think my loading times will be divided by 2.

I will report back for the changes, if any
Hardly...New destroyed marks are glitchy in all versions of the game. The only way to fix them is to disable them completely trough the Generic Patcher. This will also fix messed up dates in your cpt log problem.
Also, to the best of my knowledge, loading time is not influenced by version of the game but it is by vsinc settings and antilag addon...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-18, 04:16 AM   #6
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Also, to the best of my knowledge, loading time is not influenced by version of the game but it is by vsinc settings and antilag addon...
Few time ago, made an experience by moving steam folder and TWOS outside program files X86.
It was not successful because some draggable TDW files were still saved into program files X86 even though i made path changes in patcher & OFEV...so i reverted back steam to where it was. (Made changes in steam properties too but no avail)

BUT at my surprise, game with TWOS was loading in few seconds instead of usual 3 minutes!!
Game was unplayable because was missing all charts, so i gave up.
I’m wondering now if i can success this, with the dvd version and maybe when everything will be installed correctly outside program files X86, my loading time could be faster.

About destroyed marks, i figured out how to get them on every save.
I have to manually save the destroyed marks coordinates when they occur, and copy back them into the save i want to load...and of course correct the capt log 0000-00-00 issue each time also.
a bit fastidious but it work
Old 09-15-18, 09:06 AM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
I’m wondering now if i can success this, with the dvd version and maybe when everything will be installed correctly outside program files X86, my loading time could be faster.
I don't think so. Initial game loading time will stay pretty much the same. Your accidental quick loding is just a confirmation that something was wrong and that you haven't actually load the game properly.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-18, 10:02 AM   #8
Fifi
Navy Seal

I have now the dvd version, but i’m Very surprised i still need steam to launch game...

I followed Peter advice to the letter, nothing left in program files X86, my Uplay launcher installed on my C drive, deleted steam of my pc...and each time i launch SH5.exe i have to download steam again.
Seems i can’t play SH5 without steam

When i installed my dvd, no key was asked
Old 09-17-18, 11:15 AM   #9
skin-nl
KapitainLeutnant

Downloads: 244

Did you also delete sh5 in your register?
Old 09-18-18, 02:32 AM   #10
Fifi
Navy Seal

Nope. I’m not familiar when it comes to touch the register...

But was thinking what could happen with this dvd key account, as it’s not a new one (i bought a used one)
It’s working actually probably because i’m Playing it through my Uplay & Steam account even though i don’t want to...but when it will ask me the key with the corresponding email adress, it should be an issue
Old 09-18-18, 03:43 AM   #11
THEBERBSTER

Hi Fifi
Quote:
it’s not a new one (i bought a used one)

AFAIK you cannot use second hand discs?
Why, because the original disc which you have is linked to Uplay by the original owner:
Email address
Login
Password.
As soon as you go to enter the CD key it does not recognize you as the owner.
You can buy a new CD key and it quite cheap.
Google this link https://www.google.com/search?q=new+...ient=firefox-b

Or alternatively search > New cd key for Silent Hunter 5
Any download other than STEAM you should be able to install outside of your STEAM account.
Using a registry cleaner will tidy up the registry for you, the only other things to do is to make sure there is nothing on your system relating to SH5 and then re-boot your system before any new/re-installing.

When you uninstalled your STEAM version did you also check your control panels program and features and make sure the Uplay Game Launcher is uninstalled.

You do not want your game running in the Program Files (x86) directory as it has restrictions.
I also advise downloading the game launcher from here.
Post #97 SH5 Game Launcher Install It Anywhere On Any Drive
Peter

Last edited by THEBERBSTER; 09-18-18 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-18-18, 04:41 AM   #12
Fifi
Navy Seal

Yes Peter, game launcher was uninstalled and steam too.
I re-installed game launcher outside program files X86, but it asked me to install steam again... so i did re-install steam (outside program files X86 too)
My new SH5 dvd is installed outside program files too.
Everything is running fine so far, but through steam...as before.

I can live with it though, as my primary goal was to install everything outside program files X86.
But you confirm my thoughts, saying if i manage to delete my SH5 exe from my registry (hence i will need the dvd key linked to my email) i will not be able to use this dvd.

Other thing that confirm my strange configuration, is when i first launched the dvd, i couldn’t access the install button (even though everything was uninstalled) I had to open the dvd launcher by right clic, and launch manually the installer...

So remains 2 choices:
I keep this installation that is running fine, or i re-buy an other DVD brand new...
I don’t know yet, because i dunno if this extra cost will make any improvement of any kind
Old 09-18-18, 07:20 AM   #13
THEBERBSTER

Fifi

Quote:
i couldn’t access the install button (

I have had that intermittent problem with my dvd from time to time.

I think you have 2 games.
You have a STEAM game which is a download so even if you delete it you should be able to download it back and install it.

You also have your hard copy dvd as well.

Uplay supports STEAM so it maybe it is a bit confused as you already have a STEAM account with them.

If you want to run 2 versions then you will need to drop MultiSH5 into the version which does not have the SH5 saved games folder and give it a different 3 digits.

Peter
Old 09-18-18, 10:24 AM   #14
Fifi
Navy Seal

Thanks again Peter