SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-03-09, 06:13 PM   #1
warlimont
Helmsman

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 0
Default flag illumination problem

I'm having trouble recognising ship nationalities at night due to the poorly illuminated flag on the staff. the lights arent aimed right toward the flag
and it renders the flag black.

anyone here think the problem may be in coordinating the spotlight beams better to illuminate the flag better? and does anyone here know what file would contain the information for the x,y,z coordinates?

thanks
warlimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 10:25 PM   #2
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

I don´t know your anwser but i agree that in SH3 the visualisation of the flags at night is very difficult due computer limitations, in real life you probably had more colors and better definition, or at least others ways to know the nationality of the ship (intercepting radio conversations as an exmaple) and probably some unique caracteristics of the ships that the Kaleuns must knew at that time. All these are absent in SH3, so, I agree that the flags must have a better way (better illumination?) to be spotted.
Old 06-04-09, 07:21 AM   #3
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

The cheat is to hit the "." key and ID the flag.
Actually, what you need to do is attack the dark ships and leave the ones that are lit alone, as they are neutral.
If a neutral ship is traveling in an enemy convoy, it is fair game.
Old 06-04-09, 11:10 AM   #4
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlimont View Post
I'm having trouble recognising ship nationalities at night due to the poorly illuminated flag on the staff. the lights arent aimed right toward the flag
and it renders the flag black.

anyone here think the problem may be in coordinating the spotlight beams better to illuminate the flag better? and does anyone here know what file would contain the information for the x,y,z coordinates?

thanks
Isn't this a moot point? I mean if the ship is illuminated then it is neutral, and if it isn't illuminated then there are no lights aimed at the flag. Where is the problem?
Old 06-04-09, 03:41 PM   #5
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post
Isn't this a moot point? I mean if the ship is illuminated then it is neutral, and if it isn't illuminated then there are no lights aimed at the flag. Where is the problem?
True
melnibonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 03:55 PM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Sounds good to me....hence the lit and unlit models

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 04:22 PM   #7
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Yes, it's obviously easy to know when a ship is neutral or not just noticing that spot light on the flag (anyway it have some exceptions during the campaign game)...but is really difficult (if not frequently impossible) to correctly identify a ship flag during night in SH3. Would be great if we had also anothers ways to identify the ships as in RL interception radio chats, unique details of the ships, etc. But i guess that this is beyond the game engine capacity.
Old 06-05-09, 12:08 AM   #8
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
Yes, it's obviously easy to know when a ship is neutral or not just noticing that spot light on the flag (anyway it have some exceptions during the campaign game)...but is really difficult (if not frequently impossible) to correctly identify a ship flag during night in SH3. Would be great if we had also anothers ways to identify the ships as in RL interception radio chats, unique details of the ships, etc. But i guess that this is beyond the game engine capacity.
I have often pondered the same questions.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 02:29 AM   #9
DivingDuck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 1

Moin,

I can think of a way to enlighten the flags just a little. You´d have to alter the 'self illumination' byte of each texture in the flag.dat / flagS.dat. Raise the value a tiny bit and the flags will get brighter. But be careful, if you increase it to much, the flags will "glow". A tiny bit will probably do and the flags may look as if lit by the moon or dim light reflected by the water. Don´t worry about side effects during daytime. You will not recognize the 'glow' by day.

Use the hex editor and it will be the 31th byte of the node (type 02/00), 11th byte after the node´s ID.

Use S3D and search for the material properties. The value you have to alter is called 'Emission' or 'Emissive', IIRC

No matter which method you use, you will have to do this for every single texture file in the flag.dat / flagS.dat. IIRC there are quite a lot, more than 50 per file for sure.

Regards,
DD
DivingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 05:08 AM   #10
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54

Quote:
I agree, no real need to ID the ship if it's running with all lights blazing. Having said that, in my experience, not all neutrals sailing alone have their lights on. I sunk a US ship approaching the Bristol channel once that wasn't lit up. For 24 hours I had to suffer attacks from Irish hurricanes because of this transgression. Since then when running in TC I have noticed that when my watch crew spot a neutral and this could be a long way out as I use the 16km atmosphere, my game only drops to 8 TC and I don't get the verbal announcement "ship spotted". When an enemy is spotted I get the verbal announcement and the game drops to 1 TC. I instantly know if it's enemy or not, a bit of a cheat but not intentional on my part (is there any way to change this?). Neutrals in convoys of course, are a different matter altogether.

Nemo

Sir John Slessor GCB, DSO, MC, DL
AOC-in-C Coastal Command RAF
Old 06-05-09, 09:07 AM   #11
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingDuck View Post
Moin,

I can think of a way to enlighten the flags just a little. You´d have to alter the 'self illumination' byte of each texture in the flag.dat / flagS.dat. Raise the value a tiny bit and the flags will get brighter. But be careful, if you increase it to much, the flags will "glow". A tiny bit will probably do and the flags may look as if lit by the moon or dim light reflected by the water. Don´t worry about side effects during daytime. You will not recognize the 'glow' by day.

Use the hex editor and it will be the 31th byte of the node (type 02/00), 11th byte after the node´s ID.

Use S3D and search for the material properties. The value you have to alter is called 'Emission' or 'Emissive', IIRC

No matter which method you use, you will have to do this for every single texture file in the flag.dat / flagS.dat. IIRC there are quite a lot, more than 50 per file for sure.

Regards,
DD
Great DD!

If you yourself will not do this then I can look at it ASAP. This could be the best solution (as per game limitations) for SH3. IMO, a tiny enlight of the flags will do the trick and the game will have a new strategic approach then.
Old 06-05-09, 09:17 AM   #12
IFRT-WHUFC
Engineer

Downloads: 374

The term "Shoot first ask questions later springs to mind"!

ok
Rick
IFRT-WHUFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 11:54 AM   #13
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Thanks again DivingDuck! Works very very well, no problems at day light.
I will posta pic in some minutes. If someone is interested I can release it as a mod with all credits to DD!
Old 06-05-09, 12:45 PM   #14
DivingDuck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 1

Moin Rubini,

just go ahead and do it. I don´t have any objections, how could I?

Regards,
DD
DivingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 01:12 PM   #15
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingDuck View Post
Moin Rubini,

just go ahead and do it. I don´t have any objections, how could I?

Regards,
DD
Thanks mate!
I made some tests and seems that 50 is a good number for GWX 3.0 standard and also to the more dark environment (that I use). The more lighten flags (that have more white or lighten colors on it ) could have a bit less. Than I plan to launch the mod with two options: 50/50 or 30/50 (more "lighten" flags/more "dark" flags).

Using 50 is now enough to recognize a more dark flags at ~500m using 4.5x, or ~900m using 10x. Well, we cant forget that i'm daltonic (color blind) so I have a bit more trouble on the matter.