Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 02-26-08, 07:32 PM   #1
Steel_Tomb
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Gladiator's...

Is it me or are they completely porked FM wise? I had emergency power thing on and it managed to catch up with me in a vertical climb, even though I had more speed to start with than him. Also, I set one ablaze and left him be thinking "a plane made of fabric will burn", how wrong was I, he just circled around as if nothing had happened??? The spitfire/'cane should also cut out if you put them into a negative G dive because of the lack of fuel injection (hence why the luftwaffe used this to their advantage) yet this is not present? I thought IL-2 was supposed to be "realistic" for the FM's? But it seems that pretty BIG things (like the lack of flameout) are missing??? Makes chasing 109's so much easier when they go into a dive!

Btw, another thing. I can't get my canopy to slide open after I land/shut down. Even though its assigned to CTRL+C it doesn't do a jiffy... slightly confused about it.

System Spec:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz | 4Gb Corsair XMS2 Dominator DDR2 PC-2 6400 RAM |
XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640mb PCI-E | Creative X-fi sound card | 250Gb HDD |

Rest In Peace Dave, you will be missed.
Steel_Tomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 08:22 PM   #2
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

My Spit, Cane and Glad all cut out when going negative G. What realism options are you using? There is an arcade mode which knocks most of these things on the head. Try switching on realism options and see if it's still the same.

I find IL2 FM's far more realistic than CFS3 for example.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 05:15 AM   #3
Steel_Tomb
Ace of the Deep

Hmmm I'm got everything on except complex engine management because I'm not familiar with altering the propellor pitch, is this the cause? If so I'll have to get aquanted with prop pitch stuff.

Was getting really frustrated with those Gladiators, they're a pain in the arse. They just fly rings around a hurricane. I've been reading a book about the RAF in the Battle of France/Britain and they are aparantly easy pickings. They are, if you can actually get behind them lol. I'm sorry for my rant, was tired and fed up of being out turned in my 'cane by a poxy little bit of fabric!

System Spec:

Old 02-27-08, 06:12 AM   #4
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Tomb
Hmmm I'm got everything on except complex engine management because I'm not familiar with altering the propellor pitch, is this the cause? If so I'll have to get aquanted with prop pitch stuff.
Mastering prop pitches isnt necessary. Only in some hardcore player vs. player dogfights where both now their planes better than their pockets it can help, but on casual dogfights dont worry about it. On the other hand, if you dont master your trims, prop pitches etc. you are always in disadvantage vs. the AI, as AI has perfectly trimmed planes etc.

Quote:
Was getting really frustrated with those Gladiators, they're a pain in the arse. They just fly rings around a hurricane. I've been reading a book about the RAF in the Battle of France/Britain and they are aparantly easy pickings. They are, if you can actually get behind them lol. I'm sorry for my rant, was tired and fed up of being out turned in my 'cane by a poxy little bit of fabric!
Just try to boom & zoom on them, Gladiator is one of the best turning fighters in the game, so dont go into a turn fight. It can fly slower than you, resulting in a sharper turn.

As for the climbing from them, that's something I think IL2 has fecked. The speed differences in a climb between 2 planes arent modelled that good if you ask me. You barely notice if your plane goes 60km/h faster on a climb than the one chasing you. This is the sole reason I usually dont try to climb away, useless. Also, the planes are HUGE on your screen even at distances of 500m, making it pretty easy to fire and hit to a distant target, which then results in making climbing away useless.

GODDAMMIT OLEG! SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE AND PLAY THE FECKING BOB II ALREADY!!!
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 06:45 AM   #5
Steel_Tomb
Ace of the Deep

I'm still getting used to aiming deflection shots, but I usually have my guns calibrated for 300m. As that was the standard for RAF fighters during the war. Tell you what the He-111's are made like a brick **** house, they just keep going. I emptied my entire 15 seconds worth of ammo in my cane just now into the back of one and it just kept going. Granted it had fuel leaks and had lost an elevator, but the bloody thing just kept ploding along. In gun camera films I've seen a few hits to the engine and wing and they just fall out of the sky. Are the .303's "underpowered" in Il-2?

System Spec:

Old 02-27-08, 07:00 AM   #6
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Tomb
I'm still getting used to aiming deflection shots, but I usually have my guns calibrated for 300m. As that was the standard for RAF fighters during the war. Tell you what the He-111's are made like a brick **** house, they just keep going. I emptied my entire 15 seconds worth of ammo in my cane just now into the back of one and it just kept going. Granted it had fuel leaks and had lost an elevator, but the bloody thing just kept ploding along. In gun camera films I've seen a few hits to the engine and wing and they just fall out of the sky. Are the .303's "underpowered" in Il-2?
Bombers can take heaps of bullets before going down. Even more if they are trimmed for level flight (just yesterday we witnessed a Hawk fly straight & level for ages without a pilot). The .303 is abit of a peashooter, really depends of the plane you are attacking. But like I already said, bombers are tough and Heinkell is VERY tough and easy to keep airborne, for example, you dont need the other engine, you can fly it with just one, barely, but you can.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote