SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-18-18, 06:45 AM   #16
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 0

Seems that Aretha had a Prince Edward Island connection I was unaware of. She was a big fan of Anne of Green Gables. Now if you are a guy and you don't know what that is you are forgiven. It's a girl/woman thing. Author Lucy M. Montgomery wrote a series of books at the turn of the century, the most famous being Anne of Green Gables. That novel had the fiery redhead, Anne Shirley living here on Prince Edward Island. Apparently Aretha was a fan.

Quote:
“Where’s Prince Edward Island?” the 72-year-old diva suddenly demanded during a recent conversation. After its geographic location was explained, she was asked why she wanted to know.

“I love Anne of Green Gables. I have for years. That’s one of my favorite things. She’s such a can-do kind of girl, that’s why I’m crazy about her. And that Gilbert Blythe? He’s a charmer. And Marilla, a lady who knows just how she wants things to go?” Franklin laughs, deep and rich. “Oh yes, I think I can appreciate that as well. I just think I’d like to see the place they all came from.”
https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...ing_super.html

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-18, 07:30 AM   #17
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Seems that Aretha had a Prince Edward Island connection I was unaware of. She was a big fan of Anne of Green Gables. Now if you are a guy and you don't know what that is you are forgiven. It's a girl/woman thing. Author Lucy M. Montgomery wrote a series of books at the turn of the century, the most famous being Anne of Green Gables. That novel had the fiery redhead, Anne Shirley living here on Prince Edward Island. Apparently Aretha was a fan.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...ing_super.html

Heard a theory on CBC yesterday morning that there was a time when many from the Island went to Detroit to work in the auto industry. Maybe a connection there, maybe not, but interesting nonetheless.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-18, 07:54 AM   #18
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
Heard a theory on CBC yesterday morning that there was a time when many from the Island went to Detroit to work in the auto industry. Maybe a connection there, maybe not, but interesting nonetheless.
That is a possibility. Another is that both the character Anne and Aretha lost their birth mothers at an early age.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 08-18-18, 12:40 PM   #19
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
That is a possibility. Another is that both the character Anne and Aretha lost their birth mothers at an early age.

I read as well she liked Anne's rebellious spirit

Back in the Day

Last edited by ReallyDedPoet; 08-18-18 at 12:51 PM.
ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-18, 01:27 PM   #20
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I do hope Aretha did get to go to Prince Edward before she passed. Since about the mid-80s, travel was difficult for her; Aretha was terrified of flying and only traveled by land or water:

Why Aretha Franklin Never Conquered Her Fear of Flying: ‘Who Cares?’ --

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-ar...ying-who-cares

I was trying to pick one song I felt most captured the sense of Aretha's great talent; this is my pick: it has the connection to her Gospel roots and is one of the great all-time R&B songs and Aretha sings it to perfection:

<O>
Old 08-18-18, 01:50 PM   #21
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
I was trying to pick one song I felt most captured the sense of Aretha's great talent; this is my pick: it has the connection to her Gospel roots and is one of the great all-time R&B songs and Aretha sings it to perfection:

<O>
Good choice

I think I was in that chain gang

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-18, 02:05 PM   #22
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
I do hope Aretha did get to go to Prince Edward before she passed.
I sure wish she had but no. Our little island has a grand total of 143,000 souls. If she was here everybody would have known. Hell almost everybody is related.

Quote:
No argument here. That is a heavy duty piece of music. Joe South playing that great tremolo guitar and Aretha on a mission. We are going to miss her.

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 08-18-18, 02:55 PM   #23
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Aretha was always the "Queen Of Soul" and she was most often seen as a regal 'Diva", but she did have a wicked, dry sense of humor. She appeared on an episode of the TV series Murphy Brown as herself and she meets one of her biggest fans:

<O>