SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-17-18, 10:20 AM   #1
Ruprecht 69
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default What To Do When Patrol Is Completed?

Just finished a patrol, clicked on Send Status Report button, it hasn’t given me my next Mission Objective; am I missing something?
Any help much appreciated, thanks!
Ruprecht 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-18, 11:24 AM   #2
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruprecht 69 View Post
Just finished a patrol, clicked on Send Status Report button, it hasn’t given me my next Mission Objective; am I missing something?
Any help much appreciated, thanks!
first: how did you 'finish patrol'? return to base?

second: did you ever get mission complete check on the upper right hand of the screen?

third: Was this patrol part of a career, or a single mission from the main screen?

If you haven't completed the assignment, you usually get the "continue with the objective, etc" message after sending status.
Sometimes, even after completing mission, you might get one that basically says: no new assignment, patrol at your own discretion.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-18, 11:31 AM   #3
Ruprecht 69
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
first: how did you 'finish patrol'? return to base?

second: did you ever get mission complete check on the upper right hand of the screen?

third: Was this patrol part of a career, or a single mission from the main screen?

If you haven't completed the assignment, you usually get the "continue with the objective, etc" message after sending status.
Sometimes, even after completing mission, you might get one that basically says: no new assignment, patrol at your own discretion.
Cheers for the quick reply Mike.

Career, mission complete check has shown up, binoculars in the orange star has turned grey.
There has been no new assignment showing up on the mission objectives screen, first time I’ve played with it not updating.
By the way, I’m running windows 10 & I’ve not had to update any operating system/mods or anything which is weird, no? I thought it wouldn’t run on Windows 10 without comprehensive changes?
Old 08-17-18, 01:15 PM   #4
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

There are a lot of discussions going on about windows 10. I don't read them closely (win 7 here)
I take it you meant finish mission not patrol then. did you give it a little while? and what version are you running, mods etc.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-18, 01:28 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you get a message back about "Excellent job. No new assignments at this time. Continue with your mission or return to base at your option." or something along those lines, that's it. You can try again in a couple of hours usually, when the envelope becomes "whole" again, and you are on the surface. Any assignment is based upon how much fuel you have left, how much ammo, how much "experience" you crew has, and how close (distance) you are from any other valid missions that you haven't already been assigned. If you're not close enough to something else, you won't get another. You can go find some "targets" and call in a ContactReport, and maybe get assigned that, but not always there either. Kind of a "roll of the dice", along with location and other factors...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-18, 06:04 AM   #6
Ruprecht 69
Swabbie

Cheers guys, not running any mods, I would not have a clue how to download them and attach to the game, I’d need someone standing next to me telling me what to do! (I’m a complete noob with computers!)
Is there a more comprehensive instruction manual available anywhere?
There’s a lot of nuances within the game which aren’t covered by the instruction book supplied with the game.
Thanks for your help so far.
Old 08-18-18, 11:25 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

A "quickie" for completing patrols is from Beery: Guide: How to Complete a Mission - short, sweet and to the point.

About the best two "gatherer" threads here are

1. THEBERBSTER's SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX
2. Rockin Robbin's Sub Skipper's Bag of Tricks

Both threads are full of good information that in the "SilentHunter4 Manual" is either incorrect, or sadly missing from the pdf in the Support folder of the game. There are other similar threads on SubSim, but these two are "stickied" on here for a reason... - mods are way cool, but you don't "need" to do any yet (unless you want to), until you get more comfortable with the "environment" - but there are all sorts of extremely helpful folks on this site that could help walk you through adding a mod.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote