SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-24-17, 09:39 AM   #5626
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It is a possibility that they all "drowned". It could also be the they drifted much faster, due to the winds. I have had similar happen, though I got two out of a bunch one night, but I don't think I had 15 knot winds. Yikes! Did not get a completed mission. If you go to decks awash and ahead 1/3, you can use sonar to help in finding them also. It looks like you had the mission that specifically mentions being off Guadalcanal by the 9th of October? or you might have had the general "Solomons" for the 5th of December? The pilots will be surrounded by a bright pink "halo" about them, to mark them visually for you, which under normal circumstances can be seen a long way off, but typhoon weather? sheesh, who knows? I put some Japanese pilots in the water in a few of those missions, hoping to be able to "rescue" some of them to be used for their intel, however, the game doesn't do that...
I have successfully rescued downed pilots, but it is VERY difficult. First, if there is no "pink" cloud, forget it. The marker may be for a Japanese pilot (always invisible or not there, as you say), or the US Aviator may have drifted away. Finding a "pink" cloud is certainly possible, but you can't catch them unless you are chasing them at Flank speed! Otherwise they seem to move off into the distance at a good 12-15 knots. Then when you do get close enough it's really hard to see the survivor. They are usually on one edge of the cloud, bobbing up and down almost violently in the always present high waves. You have to be pretty close even to see them, and then you have to get them into view with your binoculars and mark them with the Space Key before the "rescue survivor" button lights up on the command line. Quickly click on that and you will complete the rescue.

I think the most I have rescued is two on a single mission (part of a campaign, actually) but I have never received an Objective Met signal. The whole process is frustrating, but there is still a tiny bit of satisfaction in actually saving a survivor.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-17, 09:42 AM   #5627
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Merry Christmas Sailors Everywhere!

Here's wishing the entire FOTARSU Team, all SubSim members, and Submariners around the world a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. God Bless us Everyone!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-17, 10:24 AM   #5628
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzBegonia View Post
Ummm.... I only add some graphic mods such as submarine skin and torpedo wakes. It was a save game, but the career was started with FOTRSU installed... Now the rescue mission just so annoying because the day and night are full with enemy planes. I can't surface at all because they always towering over your head, wave by wave. Yes, ALWAYS. Now I'm almost been drove to mad by "radar contact!" voices.
Sub skin mods shouldn't affect things, but make sure that the mod ~IS~ indeed, only skins that put dds files in the Data \ Submarine folder and the Data \ Objects folder, and maybe the Data \ Textures \ TNormal \ tex folder (sometimes the TLowRes also). Anything that tweaks the game elsewhere may well influence things. The torpedo wake thing might also cause issues, since it almost assuredly overwrites the changes that FotRSU makes to the games' files. I would recommend backing all of them off and seeing what you end up with when re-doing the mission. In other words, back-off the mods, and reload the save prior to the mission, and hopefully you get the same assignment, and you're able to compare. Let us know what you find. In the meantime, I'll try to set my game up to play that mission only, and see what it does if I get there in October instead of December. I might set them all of the lifeguard missions up without any specific date, and just have the instructions say something like "Your submarines presence is required at such & such co-ordinates, to facilitate potential lifeguard resecues as soon as possible. Please report when on-station." or something to that effect. That way, no date foul-ups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I have successfully rescued downed pilots, but it is VERY difficult. First, if there is no "pink" cloud, forget it. The marker may be for a Japanese pilot (always invisible or not there, as you say), or the US Aviator may have drifted away. Finding a "pink" cloud is certainly possible, but you can't catch them unless you are chasing them at Flank speed! Otherwise they seem to move off into the distance at a good 12-15 knots. Then when you do get close enough it's really hard to see the survivor. They are usually on one edge of the cloud, bobbing up and down almost violently in the always present high waves. You have to be pretty close even to see them, and then you have to get them into view with your binoculars and mark them with the Space Key before the "rescue survivor" button lights up on the command line. Quickly click on that and you will complete the rescue.

I think the most I have rescued is two on a single mission (part of a campaign, actually) but I have never received an Objective Met signal. The whole process is frustrating, but there is still a tiny bit of satisfaction in actually saving a survivor.
Most of the missions do require six flyers "rescued", and it is uncanny how rough the seas are in some of them. The one I remember especially well was off the Philippines, simulating the Turkey Shoot (maybe), and it seemed that the US was losing the battle from all of the downed flyers... but like you say "rough seas", and it is very difficult to pick them up. The "survivor" in the water has to stay "targeted" to be able to have the button lit to pick them up, and if they don't come into the binocular's center of FOV, they can't be targeted or picked-up. Getting in too close, and you can't get them at all. Very stressful, especially if you're getting shot at... When the mission is created, there is also a "drift" setting for the survivor that is floating, so that might be too high. We might consult with Bubblehead1980, since he's noodled quite a bit with the TMO portion of the game, and even got it to where he could pick-up a liferaft with survivors. I just wonder about that though, in rough seas, since the liferaft is not the most stable vessel out there, and has a tendency to dump its occupants...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-17, 10:29 AM   #5629
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 1

I just received a new Gar-class boat in September 1942, but its conning tower is still old-fashioned...
Old 12-24-17, 01:41 PM   #5630
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Sub skin mods shouldn't affect things, but make sure that the mod ~IS~ indeed, only skins that put dds files in the Data \ Submarine folder and the Data \ Objects folder, and maybe the Data \ Textures \ TNormal \ tex folder (sometimes the TLowRes also). Anything that tweaks the game elsewhere may well influence things. The torpedo wake thing might also cause issues, since it almost assuredly overwrites the changes that FotRSU makes to the games' files. I would recommend backing all of them off and seeing what you end up with when re-doing the mission. In other words, back-off the mods, and reload the save prior to the mission, and hopefully you get the same assignment, and you're able to compare. Let us know what you find. In the meantime, I'll try to set my game up to play that mission only, and see what it does if I get there in October instead of December. I might set them all of the lifeguard missions up without any specific date, and just have the instructions say something like "Your submarines presence is required at such & such co-ordinates, to facilitate potential lifeguard resecues as soon as possible. Please report when on-station." or something to that effect. That way, no date foul-ups...
Ummm... The On-leaving/entering base saves have been overwritten..... Anyway I don't think the torpedo wake mod would cause such issue because it only includes the torpedo wake tga file in /Misc folder.

Last edited by yyzBegonia; 12-24-17 at 01:59 PM.
yyzBegonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-17, 04:14 PM   #5631
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Default Beware of gifts

Merry Christmas Everyone!
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-17, 04:47 PM   #5632
propbeanie

Quote:
Ummm... The On-leaving/entering base saves have been overwritten..... Anyway I don't think the torpedo wake mod would cause such issue because it only includes the torpedo wake tga file in /Misc folder.
Usually, if all a mod is adding in, is DDS files, you should be fine with them. But if you had a previous mod, such as a TMO or other mod that altered any of the CFG or DAT files, or other files of that sort, and then de-activated it, and activated FotRSU in its place, without emptying the Save folder prior to activating FotRSU, it will cross-contaminate your game with a mix of both mods. "Environment" mods can be especially troublesome. Likewise with a mod that you add after FotRSU, if you find it's incompatible, and remove it, you oftentimes have to empty the Save folder again, in order to "clean" it from the game's files, and sometimes have to do a re-install. The trouble may not show up right away, but you will have troubles if the Save folder gets contaminated. The IJN planes in 42 & 43 are not "smart" enough to attack at night. Something is out of whack. We'll have to see if CapnScurvy comes by and call tell us about the tower. I'll look in the files, but a lot of what happens with those assignments is your port and the date. You don't always get the latest / greatest, even at Pearl. Uncle Sam only has so many goodies he can pass around, especially at Christmas time...

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it, and
Happy Holidays to those that don't!

Old 12-24-17, 04:50 PM   #5633
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Default It's that time of year.

Merry Christmas to my fellow FotrsU team members and all it's testers & Users.

I hope all your wishes come true, as a member of the FotrsU team it's been an honor to do my bit towards this truly great mod, we have many more features to come...

Believe me folks, you have not seen nothing yet, compared to what's coming...

Merry Christmas to all.

Last edited by s7rikeback; 12-24-17 at 05:03 PM.
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-17, 05:56 PM   #5634
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305

Merry Xmas, everybody.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-17, 05:58 PM   #5635
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-25-17, 10:34 PM   #5636
propbeanie

Quote:
Alright, I do hope you are still sane, yyzBegonia... After playing the mission three separate times myself, and getting bombed to smithereens (RIP Pat D) all three times, I finally saw through the smoke, and noticed the "details" of the mission... sheesh... Let me describe for you the mission...

There is a "Zone", a circle that when your submarine crosses the line, it "trips" the events that occur, such as spawning the planes and the "survivors", so the "Date" stuff has no bearing on how things transpire. I already knew that. easy-peasy. There are two American groups of five planes each; one of Wildcats, one of Dauntless. They come out of the South. There are four groups of Japanese planes, five each: one of Zeroes, one of Kates, 2 of Vals... Twenty Jap planes, that come out of the Northeast. The US planes fly over, then fly back. That's it. One trip in, one trip out. The "survivors" then show up on the map, as detected - 18 of them, btw, which means that not that many planes should be going back... hmmm. However, all four of the Japanese plane groups are set to a criss-cross pattern over the Zone, set on a continuous loop... Ooops! Once they start, they do NOT stop. Planes do not run out of fuel in the game... If you survived long enough, the planes would fly overhead until after the game ~ENDS~! Like, until December 31st, 1945... The only way they "die", is if you shoot them down, or they crash into each other. Yikes!!! This is a mission I did not alter. However, one of us "experts" should have caught it... so who shall we blame today?... hmmm... could it be... ME!... propbeanie did it (or, in this case, didn't do it).

I'm going to experiment a little, and try to have the planes fly over for just a set amount of time, but I might just have to set them to a certain number of loops, and then quit... Timing it would be better - if it works... Later - Another change coming, courtesy of vigilant beta testing! Thank you yyzBegonia

Old 12-26-17, 04:39 AM   #5637
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Hey RR,

Look what Santa brought me...

Old 12-26-17, 06:47 AM   #5638
Brett Sinclair
Loader

Downloads: 46

I'm off to installing my first mods for SH IV now.
Does this mod include the Real Fleet Boat mod as well?
I may try to install that one, this one and the all in one beginner mod.

Best,
Brett
Brett Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-17, 07:54 AM   #5639
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sinclair View Post
I'm off to installing my first mods for SH IV now.
Does this mod include the Real Fleet Boat mod as well?
I may try to install that one, this one and the all in one beginner mod.

Best,
Brett
Well I don't think RFB is included because the FOTRS series were based on TMO... BTW, if you have played both RFB and TMO you would find them quite different and it's obviously impossible to believe that they are compatible with each other
Old 12-26-17, 08:02 AM   #5640
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Alright, I do hope you are still sane, yyzBegonia... After playing the mission three separate times myself, and getting bombed to smithereens (RIP Pat D) all three times, I finally saw through the smoke, and noticed the "details" of the mission... sheesh... Let me describe for you the mission...

There is a "Zone", a circle that when your submarine crosses the line, it "trips" the events that occur, such as spawning the planes and the "survivors", so the "Date" stuff has no bearing on how things transpire. I already knew that. easy-peasy. There are two American groups of five planes each; one of Wildcats, one of Dauntless. They come out of the South. There are four groups of Japanese planes, five each: one of Zeroes, one of Kates, 2 of Vals... Twenty Jap planes, that come out of the Northeast. The US planes fly over, then fly back. That's it. One trip in, one trip out. The "survivors" then show up on the map, as detected - 18 of them, btw, which means that not that many planes should be going back... hmmm. However, all four of the Japanese plane groups are set to a criss-cross pattern over the Zone, set on a continuous loop... Ooops! Once they start, they do NOT stop. Planes do not run out of fuel in the game... If you survived long enough, the planes would fly overhead until after the game ~ENDS~! Like, until December 31st, 1945... The only way they "die", is if you shoot them down, or they crash into each other. Yikes!!! This is a mission I did not alter. However, one of us "experts" should have caught it... so who shall we blame today?... hmmm... could it be... ME!... propbeanie did it (or, in this case, didn't do it).

I'm going to experiment a little, and try to have the planes fly over for just a set amount of time, but I might just have to set them to a certain number of loops, and then quit... Timing it would be better - if it works... Later - Another change coming, courtesy of vigilant beta testing! Thank you yyzBegonia
Ooops! That's it! Anyway your findings make me so proud that I could survive those nuclear-powered Japanese planes!