SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-22-13, 03:00 PM   #1
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6
Default JSGME (Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler)

JSGME related links:

JSGME Generic Mod Enabler information and download link (Use link at top of page, do not use bottom signature download link.)

JSGME download only

[LOOK] HOW TO INSTALL MODS [LOOK] by Sober. Works on any game that can be modded. Just change folder name from example given.

Picture of activating the available mods and saving profile by Silent Steel

stoianm How to install MODS in SH5 video tutorial Works on any game that can be modded. Just change folder name from example given.

JSGME V2.6 User Guide download link

Common JSGME errors and possible solutions

Game specific leftover files issues
For SH5 only - py files, Multiple UIs with TDC entries & CTDS or slower game loading. Go to post #6 for background information, post #8 for solutions.

How to configure JSGME for working with more than one game, without having to install/copy it each time by Gap

Golden rules for beginners. What we all have learned from experience by Gap

PM me if you find any errors or related links that you feel should be here. That way I can keep them on the first post of this thread.

Makes it easier this way when helping others. I won't have to continuously remember where I answer JSGME questions on individual mods anymore! Search option is not always the quickest answer if buried deep in a thread. Sometimes, others will not even try to read the documentation. Always referring back to these threads or copying another modders reply elsewhere. Took me a while to find them again.

Last edited by Mikemike47; 02-23-14 at 03:55 PM. Reason: updated links due to invalid file ID
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-13, 07:00 PM   #2
bill clarke
Captain

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0

Thanks Mike
bill clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-13, 04:17 PM   #3
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Default Common JSGME errors

Multiple folder issue:
Some modders put multiple folders in their compressed file. You must uncompress the mod folder structure FIRST and check for accuracy of the modname\data folder level. I usually uncompress the mod to a temporary folder first and check for unneccesary folder levels. I move folders around until modname\data level is achieved. Once the folder structure is correct, I can drag and drop the mod to Game\MODS\. Now, the mod can be activated with JSGME and will work properly in the game.

Game\MODS\modname\data
NOT like this:
Game\MODS\modname\foldername\data

Mod enabling:
Generally speaking, look at individual folder and filename structure for a mod. Let new filenames overwrite over filenames from older mods, unless you want features of oldest mod.

JSGME Error Message something like:
X Access Violation at address 004823AC in module JSGME.exe. Read of address
00000004. Caused by error(s) in the ***.mep file.

Solution:
Look for the modlist name you are activating, usually *name*.mep. My *.mep files are in the My Documents folder. Open up the *.mep file with notepad, wordpad, or some other text editor.

The error you have is caused by three things.
Same mod name listed more than once in *.mep file. Delete one and save *.mep file
OR
A blank space between mods. Delete space and save mod.
OR
**.mep file is saved with the blinking cursor at next line or more from the last mod. The blinking cursor should be at the end of the last mod, NOT next line or more. I have had this error come up when all mods have been enabled OR when JSGME window shows some, but not all mods, appear in activated mods window. JSGME may or may not give you the message, "Not responding". You close JSGME, reopen program, and all mods are there.

Try reactivating modslist by JSGME now.

Another error type with JSGME.ini:
Check by using JSGME and disable all your mods. Nothing should be left behind in "Your drive letter:\Silent Hunter 5\MODS\!BACKUP folder." Nothing should be left behind in "Your drive letter:\Silent Hunter 5\MODS\!INSTLOGS" folder. Try to enable your modlist again.

If it does not work try a similar fix, like what happened to me for a power outage issue as I am disabling all mods at the moment.
Look for JSGME.ini in "Your drive letter:\Silent Hunter 5\MODS\JSGME.ini". This file became corrrupted. Open up the JSGME.ini file with notepad, wordpad, Word or some other text editor. Wordpad works well for me since it keeps formatting, low resource usage, but powerful enough.

It should look like something what is below. Mod names can be different.

Code:
[DEPENDANCIES] SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2="SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2.2 Patch""Fuel Gauge WoGaDi_SteelViking's Interior""sobers multi color mod V5""DynEnv v2.9 - 1. Main Mod""DynEnv v2.9 - 9. Sobers Best Ever Tweaks""Pascal-sh5-Crew-Uniforms""Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1 & hotfix""R.E.M_by_Xrundel_TheBeast_1.2""sobers Lights Cfg V5 SH5""sobers Depth of Field V6 SH5" 
[MODS] Accurate German Flags=1 
RemoveLogoIntroTheDarkWraith=2 
sobers game loading tips V8 SH5=3 
DBM Background Video=4 
sobers green spinning thing SH5=5 
SMission - D-Day Landings=6 
Grossdeutscher Rundfunk=7 
U-Boat Watch Crew Routine SFX=8
Delete everything in the JSGME.ini file EXCEPT [DEPENDANCIES]. Keep [DEPENDANCIES] in the file and save. Retry your modlist.

CTDs and still can't fix, and you suspect a mod:
Have lots of mods installed like I do? I have more than 80 running at a time.
Start with a new campaign to isolate your corrupted mod problem.
How about trying 10 mods at a time? Then the next group of 10, etc until you can narrow it down within 10 mods of where the CTD is. Once you have a crash (CTD) with 10, then try the first 5, then the other remaining 5, etc.. It is called a 1/2 step method. Then take the first 3 of 5. No CTD yet. Then try last 2.

Longer approach
Uninstall all mods and start a new campaign, adding one mod at a time. It can be time consuming, but it is often the best way to work out which is the offending mod.

(This one post is redirected from SH3, SH4 and Dangerous Waters threads.)
Click here to get back to SH3 JSGME thread.
Click here to get back to SH4 JSGME thread.
Click here to get back to Dangerous Waters thread.

Last edited by Mikemike47; 01-07-14 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added blinking cursor comment.
Old 09-19-13, 04:46 AM   #4
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Good thread Mike

May I suggest you to update the first post with the following link?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...67&postcount=4

It is a quick tip on how to configure JSGME for working with more than one game, without having to install/copy it each time. Nothing new (I took this information from the JSGME release thread already linked in your post) but a reminder might help someone
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 12:16 PM   #5
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Default Game specific leftover files issues

SH5 Leftover Files issues:
Disable all mods and TDW patcher if used. Nothing should be left behind in "Your drive letter:\Silent Hunter 5\MODS\!BACKUP or "Your drive letter:\Silent Hunter 5\MODS\!INSTLOGS" folder. If there is something left in the !BACKUP folder, that is the path to follow and fix your problem.

The game is patched to version 1.2 which has file dates older than May 2010. Verify files at the root folder of Silent Hunter5, and at least the Silent Hunter5\data and all the data subfolders having dates older than May 2010.

Folder date changes give you a clue where to search first for files. See if any files are much newer than May 2010 in your stock game without mods and TDW patcher. Newer files than May 2010 are the ones that can cause a problem.

SH4 Leftover Files issues:
Disable all mods. Nothing should be left behind in "Your drive letter:\Silent Hunter 4\MODS\!BACKUP or "Your drive letter:\Silent Hunter 4\MODS\!INSTLOGS" folder. If there is something left in the !BACKUP folder, that is the path to follow and fix your problem.

SH4 Wolves of the Pacific:
Can someone PM me with the date information I need? The game is patched to version 1.4 which has file dates older than ????. Verify files at the root folder of Silent Hunter4, and at least the Silent Hunter4\data and all the data subfolders having dates older than ????.

Folder date changes give you a clue where to search first for files. See if any files are much newer than ???? in your stock game without mods. Newer files than ???? are the ones that can cause a problem.

SH4 U-boat Missions:
The game is patched to version 1.5 which has file dates older than Dec 2007. Verify files at the root folder of Silent Hunter4, and at least the Silent Hunter4\data and all the data subfolders having dates older than Dec 2007.

Folder date changes give you a clue where to search first for files. See if any files are much newer than December 2007 in your stock game without mods. Newer files than December 2007 are the ones that can cause a problem.

SH3 Leftover Files issues:
Can someone PM me with the date information I need?
Does anyone have Silent Hunter 3 version 1.3b (or whatever the latest version is)? If so, please disable all mods, then look around in the root folder and data folder and data subfolders. I need the latest file dates (month and year is good) as a reference point for JSGME issues.

IIRC, GWX 3.0 installer overwites stock files permanently which I have installed.

Click here to get back to SH3 JSGME thread.
Click here to get back to SH4 JSGME thread.

Last edited by Mikemike47; 01-24-14 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-25-13, 11:36 PM   #6
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Default py files, Multiple UIs with TDC entries and CTDs or slower game loading

I discovered a problem with residual data similar to **.py script errors post while trying to eliminate CTDs using smaller mod lists than I normally used. To my surprise, I found these files leftover in the Silent Hunter 5\data\Scripts\Menu folder shown below in the attachment. I alt-tab (or ctrl-alt-delete) and found the **.py error window. The problem turned out to be newer **.py files compared to stock.

Multiple times I tried to start a campaign using silentotto with a smaller modlist I was surprised to see how long the game was still taking to load.

I disabled all mods and the **.py files was still there. Over the months past, I have disabled all mods during CTD testing. Everyone remember silentotto CTDs!! I never thought to check for this Silent Hunter 5\data\Scripts\Menu folder folder possibility of errors before.

This time I manually deleted all **.py files that are not stock. Thank goodness for the archived 1.2 silent hunter DVD to compare to. I reenabled all mods according to my original mod list, disabled them multiple times for test purposes, BUT these **.py files are no longer there, which is supposed to happen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Data.scripts.menu.filename.py.JPG (78.2 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by Mikemike47; 01-24-14 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Simplified description
Old 02-23-14, 12:07 AM   #7
adamcboyd
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Link dead

Just and FYI. I joined this group because I really want to enjoy SH5 and modding it seems the only way to do that. However, right out the gate, the first link I click here leads to "Invalid File ID Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you."

Someone posted a link to a mediadire "JSGME v2.6.0.157" file but it seems to be part of an archive and not a zip/rar.

So, while I look forward to chatting with you all and helping support the community that has an obvious love for this game, can anyone point me in the right direction of the link so I can get started?

Thanks!

- Adam
Old 02-23-14, 01:06 AM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WELCOME ABOARD!

I'm not sure what's been going on with Subsim Downloads, and I should be because I'm in charge of it. I know it's been here before, and I don't know why it's not here now.

Anyway, here is JSGME freshly installed to Subsim Downloads.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4333
Old 02-23-14, 10:17 AM   #9
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcboyd View Post
the first link I click here leads to "Invalid File ID Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.
Welcom aboard. JSGME download link only at post #1 updated again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post

I'm not sure what's been going on with Subsim Downloads, and I should be because I'm in charge of it. I know it's been here before, and I don't know why it's not here now.
Yes, I have reported that invalid file ID before, too. JSGME download link only at post #1 updated again. Sent PM to Webster and Sailor Steve.

Last edited by Mikemike47; 02-23-14 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-23-14, 12:15 PM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

At Mike's request I've also fixed the link in JScones' original thread. It should work again now.
Old 02-23-14, 09:07 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Welcome aboard adamcboyd

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 02:27 PM   #12
Da-Gman
Swabbie

Downloads: 42
Default JSGME, If you mod this is the "only" way to go!!!

I use this and only this for all my modding on various games, been using jsgme for 12-13 yrs now & love the program.
Da-Gman is offline   Reply With Quote