SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-16, 06:28 AM   #1771
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Hursh View Post
How come the conning tower is backward? Looks great! Even if I won't get my wish to command a roving cruiser, I do have World of Warships and Jutland but it just won't fill the void; I still will be glad to experiment with all them new (old) subs.
My theory? I think it has to do with early WWI Kaiserliche Marine submarine attack doctrine. Procedures called for firing the stern tubes first in attacks on merchants (which would often be abandoned and stationary), and saving the bow tubes for surprise attacks on warships, while submerged. Because submarines were more likely to make attacks on merchants, it made sense to have the weather screen facing to the stern, to protect the crew from sea spray etc as they torpedoed cargo ships on the surface.

Later in the war, as submarines began to attack all targets without warning, both bow and stern tubes would be used against merchants, and there was no reason to keep mounting the weather screen backwards.

Just a theory, but I've noticed that no submarines from 1917 - 1918 had the backwards screen.

As for sailing in a cruiser, submarines are a priority but never say never...lol...and I plan to keep modding for WWI/WWII Atlantic scenarios once the main portion of "Wolves of the Kaiser" is complete.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 07:01 AM   #1772
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

FYI, the "Wolves of the Kaiser: 1914-1918" Facebook page is now up! New content will be added regularly, so please search for it and like us, and share! Thanks for all the support!

https://www.facebook.com/Wolves-of-t...00625/?fref=ts

Today is the 101st anniversary of the "Lusitania" sinking, so show some love to the WOTK video on Youtube if you haven't already.

Old 05-08-16, 01:44 PM   #1773
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164
Default the father of the schnellboote

IABL, some times ago you told you will make the "RC" german motor boat and the british costal motor boats. So I found that germans made an other motor boat: the LM-Boote or torpedo schnellboote (from LM-1 to LM-23)built from early 1917 to the end of the war; they were dislocated in the Baltic Sea and in Flanders with some successes (10 merchant, 2 destroyers and 1 minelayer).
if you like them, please add these boats in you mod
length: 16 m
Displacement: 7 t
max speed: 30 kn
complement: 5/7 sailors
armament: 1 × 45 cm torpedotube, 1 × 8mm MG machine guns.

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)

Last edited by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt; 05-08-16 at 02:42 PM.
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-16, 04:20 PM   #1774
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
IABL, some times ago you told you will make the "RC" german motor boat and the british costal motor boats. So I found that germans made an other motor boat: the LM-Boote or torpedo schnellboote (from LM-1 to LM-23)built from early 1917 to the end of the war; they were dislocated in the Baltic Sea and in Flanders with some successes (10 merchant, 2 destroyers and 1 minelayer).
if you like them, please add these boats in you mod
length: 16 m
Displacement: 7 t
max speed: 30 kn
complement: 5/7 sailors
armament: 1 × 45 cm torpedotube, 1 × 8mm MG machine guns.
Can't say...the main issue is time. But I will keep this type in mind.

Condolences to the team's new modeler W.A.R.D.C_sOnar , who just lost his father; our thoughts and prayers are with him.

In the meantime, I am still preparing the U-31 Class late war variant to go with the early war version shown earlier, and arranging for updates to our Facebook page.

Also, last night I began testing of the new medals/special items system - with S3ditor and a little knowledge of how the game works, I confirmed my new medal system can almost certainly work...
Old 05-15-16, 12:51 PM   #1775
中国水兵

Are there any news?

Old 05-20-16, 08:28 AM   #1776
Crumbs
Nub

Downloads: 65
Icon14

Ahoy everyone, I've been watching this mod for some years now and only recently decided to make an account, just wanted to say that your doing a great job on the mod IABL!!
Crumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 05:28 AM   #1777
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

He most certainly is (doing a great job)

Welcome to SubSim Crumbs

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 03:33 PM   #1778
Crumbs
Nub

Downloads: 65

thanks for the welcome
Crumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 06:17 PM   #1779
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Crumbs!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-16, 04:57 PM   #1780
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
Are there any news?
All is well; I will be using the Memorial Day holiday in America for my main hobby (this mod) - it seems fitting. WOTK is intended as a tribute to Navy men of both sides in WWI - Germans, British, Italians, Austrians, Frenchmen, Americans, Japanese, Portuguese, Belgians, and more all fought bravely in the first Battle of the Atlantic. With the vast majority showing chivalry to friends and foes alike. In research for this mod, it's truly been incredible to see how sailors from all nations would treat the enemy like brothers - offering food, medical care, and compassion to the men they had just defeated.

I am still working on the U-31 late war model with U-35 as the reference unit) and I am doing research on the secret project within this mod I've hinted at. U-35 has been going really well - often I hate the way a model looks while I work on it (I did not like my own Von der Tann model) but I feel happy with U-35. Each model has a unique mood it puts you in...some models are like bratty children and drive you crazy. U-35 has been a good girl.

This weekend I also want to investigate the possibility of using the "Monmouth" model (which I posted pictures of already) as a parent unit for ship types like "Cressy", "Duke of Edinburgh", and "Defence" - several Armoured Cruiser models were destroyed in the hacking incident, and it's time to rebuild. I want lots of unique cruisers, DD's, etc for both Britain and Germany!

There is another modeler who has created excellent ships with very low poly counts; I will be researching his methods on Saturday/Sunday. My plan is good units with adequate polys - not super ultra high poly units that take too long and make finishing this project impossible.

Pictures of U-35 will be posted very soon, both here and on the Facebook page. Thanks everyone for the interest, and be sure to share news with any of your friends/family who use Facebook.
Old 05-28-16, 12:55 PM   #1781
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Further work on the late war U-31 type; U-35, whose line drawing I used for reference, was the most successful U-Boat in history, sinking 224 ships for a total of over 500,000 GRT.

I've worked on better modeling details:

-Replacing the sharp break in the upper deck (unrealistic) with a more gradual, rounded shape, as on the real U-35

-More detailed drainage holes, instead of simple squares

-Antenna weights over the conning tower

-A detailed indentation for the submarine's anchor

Other images are on the Facebook page.
Old 05-31-16, 04:05 AM   #1782
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Iambecomlife : I just love your work !

Keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 08:20 PM   #1783
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Thanks for the compliment - Restarted the hull and added more details to the Conning Tower etc, because I felt like the older conning towers lacked detail - note the wooden boards, rivets, and voice pipes.

Good thing about this model is, with a few small changes you get the U-23 and U-27 Class. It's also fairly close to the U-51 Class.

Old 06-02-16, 11:12 AM   #1784
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

I just friggin love the economy in the use of the polys, you must really have a clever head for being able to envision the model before starting because it is no coincidence how clean the lines come out with so few polygons. Great job Sir!
Old 06-04-16, 12:16 PM   #1785
中国水兵

Wow, this model is so beautiful I don't know how to define it
You are doing an excellent work.