SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-10, 10:03 PM   #346
green_abobo
Sparky

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0

will the nhancer work with an 8400 gs card? i know it's not the best card to use,but for the particular pc i play SH4 on,it's my only option.

i do have 2 gigs of RAM, which helps. currently, i play the game on medium settings,i get about 30 FPS (on a good day) using external cams.

wondering if it will allow me to run the game on high settings and still get around the same FPS basically. i tried downloading and using it once,couldn't really figure out how to use it.

thanks.

green_abobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-10, 12:46 AM   #347
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Doesn't help performance really, is just alternate to the Nvidia control panel with more options and better profile system.

Might help you in troubleshotting or offer some easier usage than Nvidia CP, but it's not a performance enhancer.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-10, 12:06 PM   #348
Grayghost59
Swabbie

Downloads: 136
Default any suggestions

I am running nividia Geoforce 9400 Gt and have great graphics but the game crashes once and awhile; any one have a suggestion for me to get the most out of the game? I'm on a Gateway 6400 2.13Ghz and 2030MB ram. Thanks for any help you may give.
Grayghost59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-10, 01:43 PM   #349
Arclight
Navy Seal

Might check the page-file; make sure it's big enough (3GB or more should be good for you) and make sure it's not fragmented. Basically that means making sure you have a fair bit of free space on the HD/partition it's on and that it's defragged regularly.

* and of course the standard "make sure all drivers are up to date".

Old 11-19-10, 01:52 PM   #350
Hassie
Nub

Downloads: 4
Default Game Won't Load Win7/ 480 GTX

I have been playing this game for awhile, but recently got a new computer, which has Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. It has an i7 960@3.19GHZ 4 Core CPU, NVidia 480 GTX, SoundBlaster XI-FI XTreme Audio, 6 GB og 1800MHz RAM. Running DirectX 11, since my video card is a 480, but for some reason I am having HUGE problems with SH4 AND SH5, but NOT SH3.

Ok so SH4, the one I really care about, is a steam version, so it is in the program files x86/steam folder, and there is very little I can do about that, but that was never a problem before with my other computer.
So this is what it does, I try to run the game, steam does it's thing, and computer thinks for a second and than nothing. No black screen, just nothing. I look in Task Manager, under processes, and there right at the top is SH4, taking 350-680mb of memory running, but the only thing I can do is end the process.

I have tried many different settings, and read thru many hours of tech support on here and a few other sites, and thought I would just ask for help from hopefully, someone that has had this problem or can maybe help either way.

As for SH5, the game runs thru it's Ubisoft Launcher, I push start, and the movie starts up, but smaller than the screen, and like it's not really there. I can't click it, as I will just click whatever is behind the movie like the desktop. It is also in my processes, but not in the applications in my Task Manager, altho using far less memory for the opening movie. After the movie runs it's due course, the game stops and nothing, which almost seems like the same problem, save this one shows me the movie before failing, and SH4 just never actually comes up.

Any help would be appreciated. I am having fun with SH3, but I bought SH4 U-Boat Missions and never started it, and only did the American side, and would really love to get back into that, as it was my favorite.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer, and if you need any more details, please let me know.

Hassie
Hassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 02:28 PM   #351
Arclight
Navy Seal

Either move it out of program files or disable UAC for starters. Neither should be a problem.

You can try the compatibility modes too; right-click the .exe for the game and select 'disable desktop composition'. Additionally you can try 'run as administrator' to get around the 'program files'/UAC problem, and maybe set compatibility mode for OS you know the game is compatible with (I'd just try XP SP3). 'Disable visual themes' is worth a shot as well.

Old 11-20-10, 07:25 AM   #352
Hassie
Nub

Downloads: 4
Default SH4/SH5 Problems

Arclight-

Thank you for the response. I have done several of the things you suggested and the game does absolutely nothing different. I run it as administrator from the folder, not from the steam game library page.

Unfortunately Steam links their games to a web address on your desktop icons, and if you take it out of the steam folder, and put it just in the C:\ folder, it has problems and is missing files or something. I will try using compatibility modes I havent tried, disabling visual themes, and hell even taking off...and OMG, SH5 just worked by disabling my abnormal DPI size. Wow

I appreciate the help Arc, I didnt even think to check any of the boxes below the compatibility setting, or the administrator box. Doing this on SH4 however does change what happens now...

The steam box asking if I want to play the, and showing the cd-key for the game comes up, i push play, it thinks about it for a half of a nanosecond, than pops up again. If I take off visual themes, or the DPI it does this, taking of both does the same, and leaving the boxes unchecked obviously the problem is the same as when I first reported and you responded.

I am going to try and manually switch my DPI to the normal size and see if that helps. If you have any other recommendations, or have heard of any similar problems and solutions, I would be in your debt for the help. I really wanna play SH4, and getting SH5 to work is almost a slap in the face, because of how bugged it is

Hassie
Hassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 07:45 AM   #353
Arclight
Navy Seal

Fair enough.

If you install Steam in another directory, you'll get around the permission issues. Think you can copy (not move, copy) the whole thing to a new location, games and all, and uninstall Steam before reinstalling in the location you prepared (copied to). If you let Steam check the integrety of games after that, it will notice that the files are already there and pretty much complete instantly (might have to acquire few small files).

A thing to test is disable UAC and see if that fixes SH4. If it does and you insist on keeping that godforsaken thing on, do the above to move everything over.

Also, try disabling the Steam in-game overlay. It breaks every DX11 game I have, and recently X3 Terran Conflict started to refuse to run with it enabled as well. It wasn't exactly stable when it did run with the overlay enabled anyway.

Old 11-22-10, 11:48 AM   #354
jepo1501
Watch

Downloads: 248
Default Monitor keeps switching off

Hi, Advice please............ i have a new monitor packard bell Maestro 242Dx.
I have never had any probs with SH4 but now i have this new monitor running when i try and start the game it will go as far as the first screen (to the end of the progress bar) and then the screen goes blank a message is diplayed 'no signal being received' and then the monitor switches off, so then i have close the computer down and restart.
I have tried everything i can think off and now i am getting very, very, frustrated....or is it angry!!!!!.................any help would be greatly appreciated.
jepo1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 11:58 AM   #355
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepo1501 View Post
Hi, Advice please............ i have a new monitor packard bell Maestro 242Dx.
I have never had any probs with SH4 but now i have this new monitor running when i try and start the game it will go as far as the first screen (to the end of the progress bar) and then the screen goes blank a message is diplayed 'no signal being received' and then the monitor switches off, so then i have close the computer down and restart.
I have tried everything i can think off and now i am getting very, very, frustrated....or is it angry!!!!!.................any help would be greatly appreciated.
The *no signal being received* isn't anything to do with the game, but the monitor not receiving a signal from the graphics card - usually overheating. Check inside is dust free, check fans run ok. Let us know.
Old 11-22-10, 01:11 PM   #356
Arclight
Navy Seal

Prolly because the game is still set to a resolution the new monitor can't display.

And don't think you have to restart your computer, just hit ctrl+alt+del.

Erm, have to go by memory, but I think there's a folder for the game in your "Documents" folder. In there there's a main.cfg, which contains a few settings such as resolution. Try setting the proper resolution there manually.

Maybe delete the file; a lot of games generate it automatically when it's not present. Make a backup though, in case it throws an error.

Old 11-23-10, 10:49 AM   #357
jepo1501
Watch

Default Monitor

Ok will give it a go...will get back to you, thanks guys for your prompt replies
Old 12-12-10, 03:46 PM   #358
jepo1501
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepo1501 View Post
Ok will give it a go...will get back to you, thanks guys for your prompt replies
Well it was the graphics card. I bought a new one and fitted it in and hey presto we are back in the game. Thx for all your aadvice.
Old 10-13-11, 03:45 AM   #359
frajer
Swabbie

Downloads: 26

Nice tweak Tx
frajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 07:34 PM   #360
Mate

Downloads: 46

Nhancer does not work with Nvidia drivers past 257 version (which is old in itself) - could some one kindly share how to tweak AA for SH3 for modern cards/drivers?
89 is offline   Reply With Quote