SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-09, 01:36 PM   #241
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstanb View Post
Yes, thanks a lot, but what is overclocking?

I guess it is time for shopping
Set aside overclocking for the moment. What are the specs of the RAM and CPU?
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 02:41 PM   #242
kstanb
Sparky

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Set aside overclocking for the moment. What are the specs of the RAM and CPU?
specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 4200+ 2.2GHz

2 GB Ram
kstanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 09:25 AM   #243
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

That's not too bad, right? Definitely enough to support a better card. If you want to enjoy SH4 properly (or should I say visually), IMO a graphics upgrade is in order.

If you don't want to upgrade just for SH4, or don't have the money, stick with SH3. A lot of people feel that it is more immersive anyway. Biggest bonus from SH4 is (arguably) the updated graphics.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 12:56 PM   #244
kstanb
Sparky

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
That's not too bad, right? Definitely enough to support a better card. If you want to enjoy SH4 properly (or should I say visually), IMO a graphics upgrade is in order.

If you don't want to upgrade just for SH4, or don't have the money, stick with SH3. A lot of people feel that it is more immersive anyway. Biggest bonus from SH4 is (arguably) the updated graphics.
thanks a lot, really appreciate your help

I will probably buy a better card since prices are not that bad for 9 series or equivalents
kstanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 01:40 PM   #245
Arclight
Navy Seal

Just don't go lower then a x4xx card, geforce 9400 for example. That is if you're a casual gamer. For more enjoyment (smooth gameplay, good quality) I'd suggest 9600 or better. Do your homework and do a little research on which card to get. Ask some questions on forums with people who have some hands-on experience. Those cards are expensive and it sucks to realize you made the wrong choice afterwards.

Good luck.

Old 03-30-09, 07:49 PM   #246
captziggy
Watch

Downloads: 382

I found out that my power supply was not good enough for my graphics card. You need at least 500 watts of power to drive any of the decent cards. You should also think about your computer chip as part of the package. I run a AMD5000+ chip, 550 watt power supply, And a Nvidia 8800gt OC. The graphics card comes overclocked from the factory, But I used their Ntune software to push it to the limit. The game runs with all the bells and whistles at 1280x1024 resolution. Has not failed yet. captziggy
captziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 08:13 PM   #247
captziggy
Watch

Downloads: 382

Just one more thought on computer building. I forgot (Too much beer!) to say you should have at least 4 gigs of ram and a decent LCD flatscreen to go with the system.
captziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 09:05 PM   #248
mheil
Loader

Downloads: 70

I agree with arclight. There's a lot of good cards out there that aren't that expensive. Look around these forums and review each card before you buy. The first card I got was an impulse buy and it was crap. Second card was a Geforce 9400 - lower end but I can run SHIV full out w/o my casual use eyes being offended.
mheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 07:52 AM   #249
Arclight
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by captziggy View Post
Just one more thought on computer building. I forgot (Too much beer!) to say you should have at least 4 gigs of ram and a decent LCD flatscreen to go with the system.
I have 2GB and run all the latest games with it, 4GB is not strictly nescesary but advisable if you have Vista. Something to keep in mind when you purchase 4GB RAM is that you need a 64-bit OS to support it (and a 64-bit system, but that goes without saying).

*oh, and my old CRT is perfect for gaming. Fast respons, high natural contrast and colour true. But I agree that on a LCD you need to do some research as well. Look for the 3 things I mentioned and pay attention to it's native resolution; an LCD looks crappy on any res other then that. If you buy a 1600x1200 LCD and plug it into a geforce 6200 it's not gonna perform (card can't handle the high res). Try to "match" your screen and card: High native res needs a high-end card.

Old 04-13-09, 06:04 PM   #250
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstanb View Post
Hi, first post!
does anyone plays SHIV with older video cards?
I have a GeForce 7300 (my PC is relatively old >- 2006), I have no issues with SHIII (runs smoothly) but just recently bought SHIV and the frame rate is horrible, it gets a little better with the lowest resolution, but it is still a poor gaming experience compared to SHIII, mouse moving and clicking is frustrating, (sometimes I need to click more than once to get it)

I want to know if tweaking will significantly help, or if it is time to buy a new video card

thanks!

i used to run sh4 with a pentium 4 single core 2.8ghz cpu, 2gb ddr400 ram and a gs7600 and it did ok most of the time except things like the midway mission where AI stuff was going on everywhere, then it got real slow.

just make sure you keep the event window turned off because that will relly drop fps to nothing.
Old 04-28-09, 10:13 PM   #251
keith_uk
Torpedoman

Downloads: 101

Anyone having any problems with missing dll files for the nvidia task tray with the latest 182.50 drivers?

Keith.
Samsung SSD 830 Series
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
keith_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 11:57 PM   #252
Arclight
Navy Seal

Tried them briefly on Win7, no issues that I can remember.

Went back to 182.06 which gave better performance.

Old 05-02-09, 06:33 PM   #253
Tony845
Seaman

Downloads: 2
Default nvidia gForce 6200 crashes system

Has anyone been able to get the Nvidia gForce 6200 card to work with SH4? So far I have uninstalled/reinstalled drivers, updated drivers, disabled the Intro video and searched the help forums at Nvidia. No joy. Right now the game loads and i get to the office at base just fine. I click on the map and get a mission assignment. After the mission loads and I select 'Start' it gets to the Command Room then the game crashes and locks the system and I have to force a reboot. I am trying to upgrade from a gForce 5500 which ran ok if sluggish on some views.

I am running SH4 with U-Boat add-on and no other mods.

Thanks
Tony
Tony845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 07:27 PM   #254
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Tony I think you are just short of being able to run the game there. I would go for the best deal on an x600 card you can get. I have a 7600GT and run the graphics settings wide open at about 20 fps. You can check out my in-game movies and tell I'm not doing too shabby.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 09:31 PM   #255
Tony845
Seaman

Downloads: 2

Found some 7600 gt AGP cards on Ebay. Think one of those will work?

CPU- AMD Athlon 1.7 gig operating at 2.1 gig (quite stable)
RAM- 3 gig
MB- Asus A7v8X-X (does not support PCI-E)

BTW, reinstalled the geForce 5500 and back to playing the game would just like the graphics to be better.

Tony
Tony845 is offline   Reply With Quote