SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-23-18, 12:32 PM   #16
Brett Sinclair
Loader

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0

- Installed the base game from Steam.
- Started the game.
- Installed U Boat missions.
- Started the base game again.
- Did a standard patrol, savegame size 5.1 MB.
--> Problem solved!
I now suppose it is an GFO issue, I will test it further.
Brett Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-18, 04:32 PM   #17
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I'm glad you're going better again! Now, these can be difficult concepts to wrap one's head around, but you can try a few things here to help you in the future:

Silent Hunter 4 Corruption Management System (thread)

and

MultiSH4 (download)

I cannot find a release thread for MultiSH4, but there is a bit of a ReadMe with it. The whole idea of MultiSH4 is to change the default Save folder name on a given SH4 install...

After you've made your initial of Silent Hunter 4, you use Rockin Robbins' CMS to create a "pristine" back-up, and other desired installs. Each of the installs only creates another full copy of the game on your computer. You then use MultiSH4 run in each particular game copy folder, so change the Save folder, such that your "Stock" game has a folder "SH4". You can make a TMO install and using MultiSH4, a "TMO" save folder. Make a GFO install, use MultiSH4 to make a GFO save folder. That way, things don't get as messed-up as easily, and when they do, you just use CMS to restore another copy of the game...

But there is a lot of reading and understanding to get through first. Also, I'm not so certain how well your Steam would do with it... I'll try to experiment with my Steam SH3, and try to get back with you sometime next week about that. I've got quite a bit going on over the next few days, and I get to spend lots of money I don't have on vehicle repairs...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-18, 05:48 PM   #18
Brett Sinclair
Loader

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0
Icon14

Thank you!
I'll look into it, but for now I'll finish the campaign with the stock game. I am already in August of 1944, and may take a trip to Kure in mid January of '45, given there is a single mission where one has to sink the Yamato there on the 13th.

Best,
Brett
Brett Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-18, 01:48 PM   #19
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Definitely not something to rush into. Preliminary results from my experiment are not encouraging for Steam. My original Steam SH3 install is modded to LSH 2015, which still works. My first copy of SH3 was modded to WAC 5.x, which used to work, but now hangs on the loading screen, after adding it to the Steam Library folder. My attempt at a GWX install won't even start. I did rush through the menu building, and I have not tried to de-activate and re-activate the mods yet. More research & testing forthcoming. Now, if I can just test the start, and go on to the next test, without feeling the need to blow something up, I'd be finished sooner...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote