SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-17-15, 02:51 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default World war two in a modern version

A story about a dream of making a campaign in CMANO

Got the Game and played some mission. toke a look at this mission editor tried to create some small mission failed. I really wanted to learn how to create missions not small but big ones

At same time I followed the news Crisis in EU-That gave me an idea.

A campaign with several scenarios- WWII all over again but with modern weapon a.s.o

Not going to make a whole novel

Before the EU break England, France, Poland and some other countries exit EU and NATO and create a political and a military alliance.

Germany, Italy and some other countries do the same.

Jump for ward in future

Hostile between Germany and Poland etc

Germany attack Poland and invade the country.

The rest is so to say history.

Just an idea

So if there's any one CMANO-player out there who's brilliant in creating missions and really haven't any idea of what their next scenario should be, then maybe the suggestion above could be something or ?

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-15, 05:13 PM   #2
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Was thinking on one of many scenarios in this possible campaign

The invasion in Normandy

And in almost every missions controlling several convoys-cause German subs will try to sink your merch.

Markus
Old 11-18-15, 03:07 AM   #3
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Downloads: 2

Interesting concept!

Are you planning to make scenarios based on this?
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-15, 03:44 AM   #4
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Economically Russia is not the powerhouse it was back in the day (still compatable to Germany), nor are the other European states, when compared to the established super power - USA and the rising one - PRC. So you would need significant changes in economics and IC.
Old 11-18-15, 01:30 PM   #5
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburn View Post
Interesting concept!

Are you planning to make scenarios based on this?
No, I have as mentioned above, tried to make missions but have failed maybe its because English ain't my native language and/or I really don't understand the technical things in making scenarios.

I hope that some brilliant would take up my idea and create a campaign consisting of many scenarios-WWII all over again.

I forgot something in my first post, my idea is concentrate around Europe and some part of the Atlantic(from the middle of the ocean)

Markus
Old 11-18-15, 01:36 PM   #6
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Economically Russia is not the powerhouse it was back in the day (still compatable to Germany), nor are the other European states, when compared to the established super power - USA and the rising one - PRC. So you would need significant changes in economics and IC.

Its nothing but an idea

Breakdown in EU and NATO etc etc

Germany attack Poland(how would such a war be today with modern weapon ?) England and France declare Germany war. Germany attacks Belgium and Holland a.s.o

The political is something the player don't have to think about, it will be a story for him or her to read before they press "play/enter scenario"

Markus
Old 11-18-15, 05:34 PM   #7
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

It's worth trying! As somebody who's recently built his first CMANO scenario, I can tell you the editor is really not that scary and especially if you build shorter tactical missions, it's not much different from ordering a set of missions and ROE for two sides and then testing it a bunch to see how they play out.

I think the real tricky thing is that there's not a 1:1 match between the roles of old weapons and the roles of new weapons, so you might end up with some real fish-out-of-water situations - for example, German submarines today are simply not designed for the role and patterns of operations as the World War II ones, and the platforms and deployments used for ASW to defend against them would be vastly different from the convoy system of old. But well, give it a try and see what you can come up with yourself!

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-15, 07:38 PM   #8
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
It's worth trying! As somebody who's recently built his first CMANO scenario, I can tell you the editor is really not that scary and especially if you build shorter tactical missions, it's not much different from ordering a set of missions and ROE for two sides and then testing it a bunch to see how they play out.

I think the real tricky thing is that there's not a 1:1 match between the roles of old weapons and the roles of new weapons, so you might end up with some real fish-out-of-water situations - for example, German submarines today are simply not designed for the role and patterns of operations as the World War II ones, and the platforms and deployments used for ASW to defend against them would be vastly different from the convoy system of old. But well, give it a try and see what you can come up with yourself!
Thank you for your reply

I think that you and perhaps others have misunderstood me.

I'm talking about a modern version of WWII with modern military and of course modern weapons.

Back to trying to create mission

I have lots of ideas of scenarios-from little to very big(as this one WWII mentioned above)

Let me explain one of them

Name of scenario Iowa's last journey time to play 8-12 hours
Where? Some hundrede nautical miles outside South Korea between Sk and Nk. Year and time 1992/August 10 /15.00

viewable your ship(IOWA) two airbase and two radars.

Radar 1 and 2 have is under control of the computer(A)
Airbase 1) 6 F16B 3x dumb bombs/3x some smart bombs

Airbase 2) 1 AWACS, 1 tanker and some plane not available(not under the players control-maybe placed in Japan or in the middle of Sk)

Game start:

Two minutes into the game-a message pop-up on the screen
"something about taking the old lady home safely and of course military abbreviations(from and to etc)

20-30 minutes later new message
"something about a Sk spy who has got some information about a NK naval officer bragging about who easy it is to sink Iowa(same here military abbreviations)"

later a new message

"same spy has detected that a group of missile guide frigates has left the military harbour(name of a NK military harbour).

Now the messages comes quickly after each other

"From US/Sk military-We understand there could be group of military vessel heading in your direction, take necessary step to protect your ship, we will send an AWACS up to find these ships. Something like that"

Later into the game-The AWACS find these ships(Yellow of course)

" you get the message that you should send a group of two F-16 to investigate these ships as they are in international waters and are heading to wards Iowa"

Here is two ideas

Idea 1. One of your F-16 is shot down and these ships turn red
a message occur
"It seems Nk means business you have to engage these frigate.

Idea 2 almost same as in idea number 1 except for a huge different
After the F-16 is shot down the complete military complex in South Korea and Japan starts to shine as a Christmas tree and the same in North Korea and some bases in USA.

Idea 1 playtime 8-12 hours
Idea 2 how shall I explain this and I don't know if it's possible

Here is my idea-when you press start the counter says-8/12 hours when the F-16 is shot down the counter change to 4 days and many more messages pop-up, not at the same time of course(this is stil about idea number 2)

I hope you understood what I wrote and what my idea was

I have tried to make that mission and some more(only Idea number 1)

Markus
Old 11-19-15, 04:47 AM   #9
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

I guess Russia gets Belorussia and Ukraine in your scenario and then fights it out with Germany on land. Is there a nuclear dimention? If we are talking about WW2 style combat, is Berlin nuked on the first day of war?
Old 11-19-15, 12:38 PM   #10
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I guess Russia gets Belorussia and Ukraine in your scenario and then fights it out with Germany on land. Is there a nuclear dimention? If we are talking about WW2 style combat, is Berlin nuked on the first day of war?

That's up to the person who create all these scenarios and it's up to the player.

A little more about my Idea

The countries will be as they are today-It will not be as it was in 1939-1945

It will be a long "novel" before the first scenario and it will be a short story before each story

In my idea the breakdown of EU is, let say May 2018/19 and the war starts, not directly after, but some years later perhaps 2029(September of course) Or maybe later so the war start 100 years after.

Lets go back to Russia, we know from History that the German could see moscow-but will the player who play this scenario manage to get so far and can he or she do what the German couldn't- take moscow

A huge military build-up in Germany will of course take place after the Breakdown in EU.

if there is to be used Nuke-Well that's again up to the player and the computer-(Don't know if that's possible-E.g the opponent is very near to lose, will the computer send Nuke against the player)

WWII all over again-with Modern weapon a.s.o

Markus
Old 11-19-15, 03:43 PM   #11
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

First of all - nuclear weapons make the scenario impossible. Germany could not rapidly nuclearise due to the lack of relevant industries. If it does it could not nuclearise at the same rate as Russia does.
Should the strategic nuclear balance be skewed the way it is now (between Russia and Germany or Germany and the France+UK for that matter) the response to the mass invasion and/or existential threat (because German invasion of USSR during WW2 was an existential threat to Soviet people) then it would be rational to immidietely employ tactical and then strategic weapons in mass. This is what the nuclear weapons are there for - deterence.

Secondly - modern Armed Forces precludes large formations due to the costs (especially manpower). This means that deep, sustained land operations would occur in the environment without a front, with open strategic and most likely operational level flanks, in a largerly hostile area with hostile and well armed population.

There are reasons why WW2 (or WW1) would not repeat itself.
Old 11-19-15, 04:18 PM   #12
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
First of all - nuclear weapons make the scenario impossible. Germany could not rapidly nuclearise due to the lack of relevant industries. If it does it could not nuclearise at the same rate as Russia does.
Should the strategic nuclear balance be skewed the way it is now (between Russia and Germany or Germany and the France+UK for that matter) the response to the mass invasion and/or existential threat (because German invasion of USSR during WW2 was an existential threat to Soviet people) then it would be rational to immidietely employ tactical and then strategic weapons in mass. This is what the nuclear weapons are there for - deterence.

Secondly - modern Armed Forces precludes large formations due to the costs (especially manpower). This means that deep, sustained land operations would occur in the environment without a front, with open strategic and most likely operational level flanks, in a largerly hostile area with hostile and well armed population.

There are reasons why WW2 (or WW1) would not repeat itself.
I haven't been thinking so deep into whats possible or whats not possible It was an idea of a campaing containing many scenarios, such as a German attack on Russia, The Invasion of Normandy etc etc but in a future world with modern weapons.

"There are reasons why WW2 (or WW1) would not repeat itself" not in a fictional world as in CMANO

Thanks a lot for your answers

Markus
Old 11-19-15, 07:03 PM   #13
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

A little more about my idea

The Creator of these scenarios

Make the same "start point"

Example

The German troops etc are placed almost in same position as in 1939(If possible)before the attack signal is given

The Normandy scenario
Same place of area where the invasion toke place and they start from almost same point as in 1944.

All these scenarios-how they end-thats up to the player
The same with the other famous WWII battle.

Markus
Old 11-20-15, 03:37 PM   #14
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Some other things

Germany reintroduce military service

brief summary about how I would imagine the story up to the first shot in this "WWII all over again"

2019/2021, Somewhere between these 3 years, most of the German Bundestag is killed in a air crash, even the Chancellor, Minister of Interior, Minister of Defense is among the dead. An extra election is held and a new unknown man enter the political scene

His politics is very right wing.

Some year later-England, France, Poland, Denmark, Norway-who in my story became member of EU in 2018, and some other country, leave EU, because of this new German leader.

Germany, Spain, Sweden and some other country stay and try to keep EU together-Some years later-This fail

Some year later-Germany, Italy, Romania +3-4 other country leave NATO, not so long after Germany ask USA, England and France to withdraw their troops who's on German ground. And Germany reintroduce military service

Not so long after
Germany and those who left NATO create a new political and military alliance

About the campaign and the scenarios

These Idea I have, I don't know if its possible

Germany-Poland crisis/war-this could very well be a 2-part scenario, where the player will be tasked with 5-10 assignments and when they have been has been obtained. the next 5-10 task is given and the player can't play part number 2 and/or 3 before these task(points)has been reached
(in part two-the declaration of war will come from England and France)

So that was the storyline idea of the way to the first shot and who I imagine who the player is given task in the scenario.

Markus