SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-22-15, 11:04 AM   #1
vitrys
Podmorničar

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
Default KURSK

http://kurskthegame.com/
vitrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-15, 06:55 PM   #2
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Not sure what to think of it.
It looks good, graphic wise but...what is it? Trailer isn't giving anything away and I'm not sure about making a violent video game out of that incident is... appropriate?
Usually I don't mind and know no boundaries... but something about it feels bitter.

Interesting project nonetheless.
Old 05-23-15, 08:01 AM   #3
Valantine
Planesman

Downloads: 22

Graphically - very pretty.

Idea - Interesting and shows potential.

Gut feeling - This feels really distasteful - if it had been set on a non descript sub based on the Kursk it wouldn't have been so bad, even based on a WW2 sub, even a specific one, it would have been ok to me due to the time passed - but the Kursk? 15 years later? Just doesn't feel right to me at all.

Imagine the outroar in Britain if someone made an adventure survival out of the Hillsborough disaster, or in America if someone were to make one set on United Flight 93 - it's just really bad taste.
V

ARMA 3 Co-Op Battalion Recruiting Worldwide
http://www.iijg53.com
Valantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-15, 04:07 PM   #4
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

There are multiple Chernobyl games out there that aren't inappropriate, and I have a couple close friends who lived through that. One lost her hand to tumors growing on it.

I would think that as long as the game does not present the crew in a libelous or slanderous way, it should be ok.

edit: I think what triggered everybodies "scorn" at this, the website has the picture of the girl biting her finger, indicative of the worried family member. As long as they don't play on that, It should be ok.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-15, 05:33 PM   #5
jadervason
Bosun

Downloads: 15

It has the potential to be done tastefully and show an appreciation for the courage of the fallen sailors.
jadervason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-15, 05:57 PM   #6
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadervason View Post
It has the potential to be done tastefully and show an appreciation for the courage of the fallen sailors.
I don't know, the iron pipe thingy in the back of the one sailers head was already enough for me and made me roll my eyes.
Because it was the kind of "OMG look how awesome that is!" violence some video games portray.
The point wasn't the catastrophe nor the poor sailors, it was a Micheal Bay like depiction of the events. It felt like it wanted to entertain me and make me go "wow!" but that is the last I want from games that depict real events.

Hey, brb, gotta make a game... I call it 'Hindenburg'.
Michael Bay will be proud of me.
Old 08-06-15, 07:36 AM   #7
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
I don't know, the iron pipe thingy in the back of the one sailers head was already enough for me and made me roll my eyes.
Because it was the kind of "OMG look how awesome that is!" violence some video games portray.
The point wasn't the catastrophe nor the poor sailors, it was a Micheal Bay like depiction of the events. It felt like it wanted to entertain me and make me go "wow!" but that is the last I want from games that depict real events.

Hey, brb, gotta make a game... I call it 'Hindenburg'.
Michael Bay will be proud of me.
I agree. Games should be fun as long as geo political things don't enter factor into the Gameplay . I don't see how it would be in good taste to make a game of a disaster where sailors lost their lives. That is if it's about the same Kursk disaster and if not, I still wouldn't use the name anyhow since it references the same disaster. I think Gargamel and Valantine are right
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote