Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 10-21-08, 08:56 AM   #1
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default Two videos from T34 vs Tiger!

Made by SimHQ:

http://www.vimeo.com/1926183

http://www.vimeo.com/1931047

Watching as I type this, hope it looks great.

Old 10-21-08, 09:09 AM   #2
mengle
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 127

Great love the textures and env.
Im looking forward to this game after my disepointment of Hell's highway
mengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 09:22 AM   #3
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

Me too, it looks good. The smoke and explotions look poor, but models and terrain is more than good enough. And I love the fact that the enemy isnt right in front of you when you start. (Like in Hells Highway)

I hope its hard to master but fun to fail in!
Old 10-21-08, 09:41 AM   #4
Boats
Loader

Downloads: 74

The grass sways in the breeze like SOW is suppose to model. And I like that it supports track ir.

I'm another one looking forward to this sim. I also bought HH and find it annoying. The whole cinematic effect seems to get in the way and the story line is goofy.

I wonder if any virtual tank plts will spring up. Or maybe they already have. Panzer commander was a lot of fun online with a bunch of dedicated individuals. It was by that game that the guys who played online taught me how to send and recieve files. That was my first exposure to mods as well. I wonder if any of them are looking at this one?

I came across some youtube videos of an african battle. Have they begun writting new maps for this already? A mod perhaps?
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 09:45 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Hm, my impression is split. The looks are good, no question, but in the first movie the battle seemed to lack dynamic, and I did not see the tanks trying to find better cover - the one from which it was filmed climbed over the ridgeline and then stayed fully exposed even with tracks still functioning. In the second movie, again the AI managing individual tanks did not bother much about facing a target it was firing at with it'S the frontal armour, or to find a hull-down-position. both should have been a logical thing to do, both in modern and historic tank battles.

Do we have an expert in the forum on armour efficiency in WWII, and ammunition efficiency? Today, a hit by a modern grenade most often means game over for tank and crew. How was it in the past? How often was a tank hit before it was killed? Who had the better ammunition types, the greandes of greater penetration strength? sure the German tanks have a solid rputation of being nasty beasts, but there must be reasons why the T-34 came to equal fame. I must admit my knowledge on WWII tanks is not en par with that about modern tanks - just that I would have preferred the German Panther about everything else to ride if - if ever being needed to ride in a tank.
Old 10-21-08, 10:38 AM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Nice video. I see in the first one with the attack on the T-34, he is not using his TZF 9b optics at all

Yeah, this game looks great. And sounds good, too. I agree with Sky, the AI does not always behave as you would expect a real tank to do, as far as positioning. It's not awful, but there's room for improvment there. Of course, there are times when the AI acts like a real tank, but not always. I do know one thing, if you think you can sneak up behind the enemy, it doesn't always work!
Old 10-21-08, 02:48 PM   #7
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

I do like how the gunner is 'bounced' out of the zoom on the main gun optics when a shell lands nearby or glances. That's a clever idea. I haven't done much in the way of serious treadheading, this might be a good place to start. I'll be keeping an eye on this one alright
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 03:00 PM   #8
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Also as the discription says, the game is still a beta and thare is still three weeks untill release, they might have fixed some of this, Also improved other things like smoke and other things.
Old 10-21-08, 04:50 PM   #9
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
I do like how the gunner is 'bounced' out of the zoom on the main gun optics when a shell lands nearby or glances.
Yep, agreed. Nice touch to the realism side of things.

Hard though to judge a book by it's cover. Looks positive so far. At the end of the day I will definately get one of these two WW2 tank sims for the sake of having a little variety in my gaming activities.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 05:43 PM   #10
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

I know this is off topic but, the Steel fury demo dosent work on my machine (game works but all I get is a white screen with sound). Dose this meen the game isnt gona work for me?