SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-17, 05:59 PM   #31
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I dont like looking like I have a defeatist attitude, but I must admit that I fully agree with Jeff:

- no SDK is absolutely required for editing SHIII. Some of the tools needed were given to us by the devs, others were created ad hoc by estimated members of this community, and they are mostly of public domain. Those editors cover the majority of the game files. The remaining files can be edited for the biggest part with a simple text or hex editor. --this is not correct and it is not what Jeff said. the sh3 is very slighty moded (only H.Sie,Fader_berg and Stiebler moded it with lot of efforts as no sdk is availiable).everything else you see are just enhancements.the files that can mod the game's engine needs the sdk

- in the right hands, an hex editor is a powerful tool, but one needs to know what bits need to be changed for a certain purpose. As far as I can understand with my limited knowledge of programming, no SDK can replace manual coding, and editing a bunch of compiled code bit by bit can take a lot of time even to the most skilled programmer (not considering the time required for understanding that code). Fine programmers as Stiebler and Co. have done miracles with SHIII. The same goes with The Dark Wraith and SH5, but even so they have only managed discovering a few pieces of the puzzle, and at the cost of many hours of debugging. What is really needed for a larger group of modders-programmers to tweak some major features of the game in a more time-efficent way, or even for adding new features, is Ubisoft undisclosing game's source code. Them doing so is extremely unlikely though, and SHIII being a more than 10 years old game doesn't make things easier, because SHIV and SH5's codes are heavily based on it. They would rather sell the Silent Hunter franchise as a whole to another publisher/developper, who can pay for it expeting to get their money back.
No matter how motivated or generous we are, we will never get there...
hello Gap,
i agree to that,with sdk ,you can inject whatever you want and change (improve) the gameplay. i think sdk is doing exactly this:saving (a lot) of time searching and suffering. Hex editing without the sdk .... i think is just a torturing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
I think it is the same. Just old discussions in "SH5 Mods Workshop" from 2010-2011.
Search for "GR2 files" "Granny" and they often call it "Granny SDK".
So, the fact is, Ubi do not came yet to the idea to give or even sale something to the community. I have not heard so far, that they do such things.
i have the sense that it is different.Granny is something like the s3d editor that Skwajer created for sh4(sh3). it is only for importing-exporting 3d objects and things like s3d editor did.Correct me if i am wrong here but i think that with granny sdk you can't have access at the game's engine.
beside that , there was no granny when sh3 and sh4 was out so why are we talking for granny when our subject is the sh3's sdk ?

Sorry! Just my english is worse.
By "you", I mean not you personally, "but all of us".
sorry from my part too Tycho, i took you wrong

=============
anyway ...reading back the whole thread i see that most of the discussion is off topic.
the point of my post is the suggestion to ask for a price from ubi for the sdk of sh3 and lets hear what they will say (for whatever reason they may have)
if you think that we haven't even to ask for it,thats fine for me but my stand is that we have nothing to lose

ps: as i noticed that i am only repeating myself , i think that i made my point here so i will keep just watching the thread

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 06:15 PM   #32
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786
Uploads: 0
Default Go for it Makman.

I think you should do it Makman. The worst they can do is say no. You will lose nothing by asking. Who knows maybe they will go for it.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 09:08 AM   #33
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Quote:
i have the sense that it is different.Granny is something like the s3d editor that Skwajer created for sh4(sh3). it is only for importing-exporting 3d objects and things like s3d editor did.Correct me if i am wrong here but i think that with granny sdk you can't have access at the game's engine.
That is incorrect. Granny3D is a full game engine. I think what Jeff is fundraising for is only the Granny model exporter. The full SDK would likely set you back hundreds of thousands of dollars.

And the thing about Falcon 4 is that originally the source code was leaked. If that original leak didn't happen, there would be no Allied Force, no Free Falcon and no BMS.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 09:24 AM   #34
olddriedseaweed
Mate

Downloads: 259
Default ASK

It cannot hurt to ask. If they say they want $200.000.00 for an SDK then that may be out of reach, BUT YOU DON'T KNOW IF YOU DON'T ASK
olddriedseaweed is offline   Reply With Quote