SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-25-16, 09:40 AM   #1
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843
Uploads: 0
Default Depth charges more detailed.

I want to ask who can combine these two mods

Additional Depth Charges v1.0 (GWX3)http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...72&postcount=1
& Real ASW Mod v.3 Beta 4
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...40&postcount=1
in one from more detailed (3d model and textures)?
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-16, 05:15 AM   #2
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

And make it GWX compatible please

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-17, 01:44 PM   #3
padi
Officer

Downloads: 126

Why would you combine them?

The ADC-Mod is a simpler and easier to create version of the Real-ASW-Mod with much less functionality, but with GWX-Compatibility.

For example it is missing the feature, that every ship is fitted with the right historical amount of depth charges. In the mod every launcher has 40 DC´s like in stock...
It also didn´t features the new DC damage model instead having the old unrealistic model.

It has the Stock 3D-model for all DC´s...

But I have installed GWX today and I´m adapting a version for GWX so that the GWX-users could also use the mod...

P.S.: I don´t focus so much on graphics rather than realism and gameplay features. But if you have the models for the other DC´s I will integrate them...

Last edited by padi; 01-21-17 at 02:22 PM.
padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 02:25 AM   #4
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413

Hello padi
How is your work with GWX friendly Real ASW version?
I wait for this and wanna try during new campaign after reinstalling GWX.
With Makman's MEP v.6 and HAHD GUI it will be new challenge.
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 06:09 AM   #5
padi
Officer

Downloads: 126

The adaption is at the beginning, but I only have to edit the .eqp-files...

Join the Real ASW Mod Discord-Server:
https://discord.gg/Yg5ZE25
padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 10:25 AM   #6
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi View Post
The adaption is at the beginning, but I only have to edit the .eqp-files...
I am glad that you started this job!
Old 01-22-17, 12:35 PM   #7
Niume
Sea Lord

Cant wait

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

Old 01-23-17, 09:21 AM   #8
badwolf
XO

Downloads: 59
Default Mod conflictions

I have seen lots of posts in the past where they have mod conflictions. They have worked around the problem by installing mods in different order until it works. This method will always result in losing some part of one of the mods. although it may be minor and unnoticable.
i.e. If 2 mods have the same file changed, whichever mod is installed last will have that file, but the previous installed mod will not, it is overwritten by the 2nd mod.

I always check and merge any mods that I install, this has always resulted in an untroubled installation.

Merging mods is usually easy, very rarely does mods change the same line in a data files.

Usually the only software needed is winmerge.

How to do it

First you need Sh3 installed, then install your supermod i.e. GMX or NYGM or LSH3.
This will be the ROOT of the game installation and all mod comparisons are against this root setup.
JSGME needs to be installed so you can install/uninstall the mods as/or if required.

You then make a list of the file changes of all the mods to be installed.
Note - If a mod is not specifically for your supermod, then you have to make this mod compatable first.

Next you take note which mod files are identical/conflict with any other mod in your list.

Now you have a list of all the mod files that conflict.

You then make a folder in your JGSM and give it a name i.e. Mods_Updates.

Then you go into your SH3 supermod installation and copy all the files that conflict, into your Mods_Updates folder. Note - these must be each contained in the file folders path.

Now to change the first file conflict

In Winmerge first load the file from the Mods_Update folder and also second from your 1st mod conflict. Note which lines are different with Winmerge comparison.

Then repeat with the other mod that conflicts.

Now you have a list of what lines are altered by each mod for the first data confliction.

If any lines are changed by both mods, very rare, you have to find out what the line does and change it to make both mods work.

If the mods change different lines, then just copy these lines and overwrite them in the Mods_Update folder file.

Thats the first conflict resolved. Do the same for the rest of the mod file conflictions.

Installing mods

Now you have the mods you intend to install in your JGSM. You can now install these mods in any order. Lastly you install the Mods_Update folder, these now will overwrite conflictions and install your merged files.

This topic is hard to explain how to do, but I assure you it is very easy when you compare mod conflicts to the root installation setup.

Hope this helps
Badwolf.
badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-17, 11:33 AM   #9
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
Hope this helps
Badwolf.
Your method works well with the "text" files, but what "Dat" files?
Old 01-23-17, 03:04 PM   #10
badwolf
XO

Downloads: 59

There probably are utilities that will do it. But for files other than txt ones, I still used winmerge. It will identify any file as being identical or the area in the file where differences are, even if the data appears somewhat garbage, there is enough readable data to recognise which line it is on.
You then use S3D or an hexidecimal editor to make the changes, knowing roughly where they are.
Try putting the same Dat file in the left and right column in winmerge and compare, result identical.

I used that method when changing the camera.dat file for the GUI I was constructing and for mod mergers of files other than txt.

i.e. I wanted to merge OLC's GUI with NVDrifters depth charge/repair time mod, but they both had conflicts with the camera.dat. I loaded each camera.dat in turn and compared it with the GWX root installation camera.dat.
You can open 2 or more Winmerges and have both mods in each of the 2 winmerges for reference. Winmerge will highlight any differences in yellow and you can read enough to recognise which line it is. Then open up 3 S3D's and put each of the mod camera.dat in each of the first 2 S3D's and the camera.dat from your Mods_Update folder in the 3rd. Find the line differences of each mod in the first two SD3's and then make the changes to the 3rd SD3 containing your mods_update camera.dat. You should now have both mod camera.dat differences in your Mods_Update folder camera.dat. You have now merged the camera.dat file.

I did a merger a few years ago of two mods for some guys in this forum, which involved using the above method. They were highly delighted with the speed it was done, a couple of hours and it ran without any problems. They bumped that mod asking me to make an official release as it ran without a hitch and the guys were enjoying the two mods, I said they could share it with anyone.

Last edited by badwolf; 01-23-17 at 04:06 PM.
badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 06:27 AM   #11
Niume
Sea Lord

Any news?

GLORY TO UKRAINE!