SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-08-09, 07:33 PM   #226
elkinallen
Watch

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default trying to get SHIII going on Vista 64

Reading all this,, I am trying to get it going here. Any new info on getting SHIII running on a Vista 64 bit sys?
elkinallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 08:21 PM   #227
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Runs great once you get rid of Starforce. Cracking or buying a SF-free version are the two options here.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 08:47 PM   #228
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkinallen View Post
Reading all this,, I am trying to get it going here. Any new info on getting SHIII running on a Vista 64 bit sys?
No problems on my 64 bit Vista.
Install out of program files, and get the new DVD, Starforce free and patched to 1.4b ($9.99).
Old 05-09-09, 04:28 PM   #229
elkinallen
Watch

Default Thanks!

Appreciate it. 'nuther Q though. I went to the direct to drive site (BTW, downloaded U-Boat miss for SH4. Cool) ,read the specs and the $9.95 download of SHIII says it is for,,,/XP only. Is this the one to download that will work with the 1.4b files?

Just trying to be certain.

Jeff.

Update: I did not buy it. I simply used my original SHIII disc. Thanks J Scones!! -see post below-

Last edited by elkinallen; 05-09-09 at 05:38 PM. Reason: New info
Old 05-09-09, 05:37 PM   #230
elkinallen
Watch

Default Wakeup call! Bigtime!

Ok folkes. Heres the real deal. J Scones posted something here,,, First of all here's my deal. I just got a computer with Vista 64 installed. I am an average Joe here. So, I don't give a crap about why something doesn't work, all I knew was that I installed SHIII and it did not run. So, I googled it. 1 billion responses ranging from virus, to everything else. Most, though, pertained to something called starforce. I read on and soon I came to Subsim.com. I read through all the 'convolluted' posts figuring to get something sooner or later that wasn't rash, contridictory etc. All this about nocd crack, starforce removal,,, on and on. So I got enough info to believe that I needed to re-install SHIII, install a patch called 1.4b, install a nocd thing,, I did this and still no go. So I figured all these posts, there's got to be something here without doing all this,,, crap that everyone is 'sheepleing' (Know what this is?) So I found something: Someone called
J Scones said something about ''...why do people insist...just install in another directory other than... program files...'' So, I thought- ''Alright smart guy. This makes sense!'' Wack!!!! It worked. I spent a total of about 2 hours from 'no go dumb Joe' (Me) To: it works!

Lesson in learning here! J Scones is right! In short , J Scones is saying: People tend to convolute things W A Y out of proportion and reach. Don't get caught up in the hype,,, grain of salt,, do your homework,,, use what others say, not as Gosphel, but as info only!,,

You get the point.

And now I am going to the Downloads section to supercharge SHIII!!! Yeah! Baby! Back in the iron saddle with SHIII! Get some!

Oh Yeah!! HA! HA! Someone said here somewhere,,, his sig or something.. He said- ''Incoming Ordnance has the right of way'' HA! HA! Too true!

Jeff.

Last edited by elkinallen; 05-12-09 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-15-09, 06:14 AM   #231
underwaterguy
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Default 64bit Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckyone17 View Post
I could guess... and my first would be "64 bit". So far, I'm running into a few problems related to DRM and 32 bit Vista (mostly with Rhapsody, as a side note). As I'm researching the issues, I'll come across a note that 32 bit support is coming "soon", and 64 bit is "long enough that we don't want to tell you soon".

Although MS says Starforce has passed the 64 bit tests, I'm going to guess that it's a newer version than the one SH3 is trying to install. I'm figure it's also safe to say that the older version doesn't support 64 bit, or has issues with it, so it's not (fully?) installing. Then when you try to upgrade, SF is dying.

'Course, I could just be completely wrong, so don't give up hope
This post is a bit old so I'm hoping things have improved since then.
I have the same problem as others namely that the Starforce protection system is incompatible with Vista64bit.When you patch it with the strfcpd patch(it's not quite the name as I can't remember the actuall name right now but you know what I mean)it says there's no driver to update.I just wanna know if there's a patch out there that can take care of this or do I have to reinstall my system to 32bit to be able to play.By the way,It's the same thing with Grand Prix 4 and it's protection system.Ain't that a bitch.
underwaterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 01:14 PM   #232
moosey
Swabbie

Right, Ive tried almost everything posted on this forum.

Ive just bought a new computer and i would really like to play SHIII with the new GWX mod but its a no-go. I have a triple core AMD Phenom with lots of ram and everything with windows vista home 64.

I cant even play vanilla as whenever i open the game it goes straight to an error message so starforce never gets installed. It doesnt work either when i install the 1.4b EMEA patch (my game is emea).

Ive tried installing it in different drives under different names, installed, uninstalled several times each time from scratch.

Is there anything im missing? I would really appreciate any help to let me get back into one of the best games (modded) i have ever played.

Bitte mein Kaleuns!!!
moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 11:43 AM   #233
Redeagle
Sailor man

if starforce-patch won't work, the only official solution is to buy a sh3 without that (posted earlier)
Redeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 12:11 PM   #234
moosey
Swabbie

seems that or finding a copy of XP and installing that on my computer.

Please ubisoft, make us a vista 64 patch
moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 12:28 PM   #235
Redeagle
Sailor man

well, there's an unofficial way worked for me
Redeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 11:07 AM   #236
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

Okay not working.

Ive been away for some time now and i just bought a new HP Firebird comp! I was so excited to reinstall SH3 and tried following the rules posted above but to no avail. I cant even run SH3 directly after install. this is wat comes up. Its the protection system error stating "This application can be launched with a release of Microsoft Windows 95 OSR. 1/98/ME NT 4.0/2000/XP Server 2003 only."

Ive downloaded Starforce update but it does not detect anything. I also tried installing on my c/drive rather than program files but it also failed. Im not too computer savvvy, so simple english would be nice! THANKS!!!!
Old 06-28-09, 06:01 AM   #237
lokkers
Nub

Grrrrr, also having problems after coming back to this. Vista x64 SP2, seems that Starforce won't install (get the error about incompatible OS), and it doesnt want to update either. Compatibility mode won't work, nor will running as Administrator.

It's £4.99 on Steam so I'm downloading as we speak - hopefully that'll work.

EDIT: Downloaded from Steam and it runs fine on x64 SP2. Now need to download GWX 3.0, as I've only got 2.0 (although this works too) :p

Last edited by lokkers; 06-28-09 at 04:34 PM.
lokkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 04:28 PM   #238
humblegar
Nub

Downloads: 4

Just got the starforce version (dvd) to work on home premium. Thank you for all the info in this and other threads.

What I had to do (or my understanding of what I tried):
- Install (used "g:\games" folder, so should be able to install gwx later)
- patched 1.4b
- ran once to trigger starforce
- updated starforce
- removed k-lite codec then installed vista codec (fixed mouse trail error in dark menu)
- I also reset my graphics card but don't think that mattered much in my case.

Downloading gwx 3.0 and hoping that it will work too

A question though: how does the steam version compare with the one offered here? None of them have starforce I guess?
humblegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 07:54 PM   #239
Piggy
Ensign

Downloads: 147
Default SH3 & Windows 7?

Hey all, new rig here with the RC version of Win7, was looking forward to good old SH3 & GWX but Im afraid its not loading.

Clean install of SH3 to a "games" directory.
patch to 1.4b

I get an error message when trying to launch the game: "this application can be launched with win95/98/2000/NT/XP etc only"

I tried the starforce thingy but it says "no installed protection drivers found to update"

Anyone out there running SH3 with Win7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokkers View Post
.It's £4.99 on Steam so I'm downloading as we speak - hopefully that'll work.

EDIT: Downloaded from Steam and it runs fine on x64 SP2. Now need to download GWX 3.0, as I've only got 2.0 (although this works too) :p
Edit: I had actually purchased mine on steam prior to buying a boxed version, so im off to fire up Steam (swore I would never use it again...LOL)

Lets hope it works, I dont think i can wait for GWX4 ;-)

Last edited by Piggy; 07-13-09 at 08:34 PM.
Piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 10:37 AM   #240
Piggy
Ensign

Downloads: 147

ARGH!!!

Okay, so got the steam version to work, however there seems to be an issue with the steam version and Win7, one that likely cant be fixed...

It does not support widescreen, something to do with DX11 apparently...

This is extremely frustrating, I have not had any problems getting any "older" games to run on Win7. Looks like I either have to go back to WinXP or hang up my SH3 hat... which would be quite sad...
Piggy is offline   Reply With Quote