Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 10-19-07, 05:56 PM   #1
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default WoV and Strike Fighters Project 1

So is Wings Over Vietnam worth getting? I know it was based on Strike Figthers Project 1, is that worth getting as well.

I'd like a nice jet combat sim which is fun. Falcaon Allied Force appeals but I don't want to get into too much button pushing, really just looking for something I can fire up and have fun with.

Also I need to get mroe RAM and a better video card too if I want Falcon Allied force.
Old 10-19-07, 07:00 PM   #2
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

what about this one mate,

http://www.lo-mac.com/

Lock On - Modern Air Combat.

System requirements:
Pentium III 800 or AMD Athlon 600 or equivalent
RAM: 256 MB
Video Memory: 32 MB
Hard Drive Space: 1100 MB

some videos:

also check this awesome stunt video made in lock on
called Virtual Blue angels

I,m thinking of buying this game myself in a while
Old 10-19-07, 07:09 PM   #3
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Re: WOV

Well, I like it. I know it isn't as 'technical' as Falcon for example, but sometimes I like to just fly something without worrying about every switch. It's close enough to the real thing to be enjoyable and is massively improved by adding a few of the Yankee Air Pirate payware add-ons, so you get to fly Air America Hueys, Skyraiders, B26 Invaders, B57 Canberras, AC47 Spookies and other unusual stuff as well as the 'cliche' 'Nam stuff like the Phantom, plus use unusual ordinance such as LAPES pallets and some of the more esoteric weapons deployed in SE Asia.

Although it is based on the same Third Wire graphics/flight sim engine as other TW stuff like First Eagles, Wings Over Europe etc, the YAP add-ons make it quite an impressive experience, and it's already pretty good even without those add-ons. In addition to which, it has slightly expanded capabilities in comparison to other Third Wire sims when it comes to online flying, you can do co-operative online missions in WOV for example. Certainly it is one of my fave jet combat flight sims, and I say that whilst having Falcon, LOMAC, Janes F/A18 with all the mods on etc, etc.

The ground fire AI is amongst the best I've seen in a sim incidentally with the YAP tweeks, and it looks good with the SAM launches looking scarily realistic and the ZSU fire tracers being the correct colour, napalm and white phosphorous rounds and explosions look better than in any other sim too incidentally. The ground fire can deadly, yet jinking does seem to work if you get it right, so it makes bombing missions 'up North' challenging but fun, the damage modeling is quite sophisticated too, with ailerons failing and stuff like that (quite a variety of problems can crop up if you take hits). And since we are all refugees from naval sims, it's nice that you can fly Navy fighter and bomber campaigns for a change, and from a carrier that looks good and is a real challenge to land on in that it doesn't just sit there waiting for you. Oh, and one of the YAP add-ons puts working deck crews on the carrier deck too, which looks cool.

Two vids made with it, judge for yourself:

Chock

Last edited by Chock; 10-19-07 at 11:54 PM.
Chock is offline   Reply With Quote