SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-16-11, 02:35 PM   #1516
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post

(Ich glaube, ich spinne!)
...ich auch, wenn ich solche "Wünsche" lese...

Best regards,
Magic
Old 06-16-11, 09:53 PM   #1517
andqui
Soundman

Downloads: 195

What happens if the .bat says my sh3.exe isn't compatible? Am I stuck or is there anything I can do?
andqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-11, 02:16 AM   #1518
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

@andi: send me your sh3.exe, I'll look into it. (upload it to somewhere and send me the link via PM - not public)
Old 06-17-11, 11:09 AM   #1519
Stoli151
Helmsman

Downloads: 333

@pelucho: If you want to upgrade from one version to the next without uninstalling everything, it is simple. When you patched the exe the first time it made a file called sh3.old hopefully you kept this. Rename that file sh3.exe then patch that exe with the new version and continue with installation as normal. Remember to always keep your sh3.old and you should always be able to upgrade to a new version easily. Theoretically, you could downgrade as well.
Stoli151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-11, 05:05 PM   #1520
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

My scopes are not lowering when over 7kts.At first they were but now nothing and the vibration/blurring goes away when I hit 7kts.Anyone else notice this?
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 03:58 AM   #1521
h.sie
Admiral

@Wolfs: Since you post here I assume you eliminated own errors. So upload your patched sh3.exe and send me the link via PM. I'll look into it.
Old 06-18-11, 05:38 AM   #1522
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

hey h.sie.

i have not read the whole 100 pages in this thread. but what can you say is possible by digging into the sh3.exe file (or other controlling files) and change things in there?

tdw spoke of the possibility to address new shaders (for the water, e.g.)?! what about the chance to change elemental things of the game?

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 06:35 AM   #1523
h.sie
Admiral

Hi Urfish,

As you can see in the 1st post of this thread, it indeed was possible for me to change (and even add) numerous things in the sh3.exe. But that are mainly gameplay-relevant (one-dimensional) issues, e.g. make repair-times longer or to restrict snorkel-speed in dependency on windspeed and so on. That is possible (for someone with patience, assembler skills and knowledge of x86 CPU architecture), since one "only" needs to change the content of one variable (e.g. speed) in dependency of another variable (e.g. Windspeed).

Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of graphics / shader programming and I must admit I wouldn't even know where to start to mod graphical things in assembler level without SDK. I assume that it will become very complex. I made one graphical fix (automatically move the watch officer to the bridge). That was my hardest and most time-consuming fix and the resulting code was very long).

Besides that, in my opinion, the graphics in sh3 is satisfying - for me. Why add transparent water of sh4? Is the water of the atlantic transparent? One year ago I took a ferry to Sylt. The water was dark. I couldn't even see 1 meter deep.

Assumption: The 1st step to import sh4/sh5 graphics into sh3 would be to locate the code of/for the shaders - in which files does it reside. Then, one has to change the jump-tables of the sh3.exe import section, so that function calls to graphics routines now find the sh4 code instead the sh3 code. But that will only work if these functions are compatible, that means, they use the same number of input- and output variables, otherwise you will get a problem with the stack -> CTD. I am pessimistic!!

Greetings.
h.sie
Old 06-18-11, 08:49 AM   #1524
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

Thanks Hsie,but it is back to working for now.Maybe it was a change I did and reverted back.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 10:50 AM   #1525
urfisch
Sea Lord

thanks a lot, h.sie!

yes, i already guessed it might be a very complex thing. but i am totally split inside. i love sh3, as i love the overall gameplay a lot! but actually some graphics really started to bother me, every time i play. first of all: the crappy crew models! they simply look too odd and i just cant see them any more!

and what i miss second is the interaction with wolfpacks, as we had it in AOTD. this was immersive! best gameplay ever. and in ww2 the wolfpack tactics where the key of german uboat warfare.

so would be great to add these things...doesnt it?

Old 06-18-11, 10:58 AM   #1526
h.sie
Admiral

@urfisch:

regarding graphics: I guess I cannot help (except from answering common questions).

regarding wolfpack interaction: that's the most important point on my todo list. I fear a little bit to touch it (after my current rest from modding), since I fear to fail.
Old 06-18-11, 02:21 PM   #1527
urfisch
Sea Lord

regarding crew: i thought maybe we can address new models somehow...? and use the ones from sh4 or sh5? is a try too hard to do? because simply changing the models causes the well known "destroyed model" ingame.

wolfpacks: as to my idea we need to get the ai boats let run routines. routines the ai uses for destroyers: an "search and destroy routine", so they attack and evade. but they also need to be able to dive and surface. there are some ai-boats already. dont know, who created them. but they exist and are functional. they attack with deckgun, but never fired torpedos. there the project got stuck.

an interaction with them would be the greatest thing. i dont know, how to get the ai calling a certain code fragment, that makes you receive a radio message when they sight an enemy. otherwise round would be great to get boats to your position, if you encounter a convoi.

maybe somewhere we find a hook in these ai-scripts, that lets us make them "send" a message - as there must be some triggers, which makes them call different tactics and routines. so if these "triggers" are existing, maybe we can use them for different "calls" of action/scripts.

tdw created some kind of dll injection code. i dont know, how helpful it might be for this complex job.

but i would help you, if you like to. although i am not experienced at all with this. i only know how the fx works in game and how to clone and assign different particle controllers, etc. so i know a bit about the coding structure of sh3 files.

Old 06-18-11, 04:09 PM   #1528
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Do's this mod fix require the new SH3 version without StarForce and already patched to 1.4 ?

Just haveing the WO on the bridge witout haveing to drag him there everytime I surface is alone, GREAT.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 04:27 PM   #1529
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

AI Subs are nothing more then Surface Ships and follow the rules of Surface Ships.
Look at the .sim files of those Units to fully understand how they work.

Only one test Unit was ever created that did infact dive and resurface to my knowledge.
It was however still a Surface Unit as far as SH3 cares.
And this did introduce some problems never fully followed up on.
Old 06-18-11, 05:08 PM   #1530
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Yes.
The game does not contain code for AI of non-human submarines... therefore modders uses clear cmdr_AIShip or combined with...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote