SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-15-14, 10:51 AM   #1
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Default New to SHIII

I have just received the Encore version of SH3 that is updated to v1.4b and is Starforce free.
When installed will the game play automatically on Windows 7, or should I change the .exe to Windows XP Service Pack 2?
Also does it need to be run as an administrator?
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 11:19 AM   #2
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Hi there

See this great thread:Here

Have fun with the old girl, she has lots of life in her yet

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 12:24 PM   #3
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Downloads: 391

On my Win7 box, SH3 plays fine in native mode (no compatibility mode required), and does not need to be run as administrator. Just do not install it in the Program Files directory as Win7 enforces special security policies for everything in that directory, which are problematical for SH3.

Oh, and "Welcome to SHIII, you will always find someone here to help you"

Capt. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 01:39 PM   #4
Merc8ninE
Swabbie

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
Hi there

See this great thread:Here

Have fun with the old girl, she has lots of life in her yet
That will be handy for me too. Thank you.
Merc8ninE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 06:29 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER

With the Encore version of SH3 when I got the option to browse and change the default installation path it would not allow me to make my change and came up with an installation error.

I wanted D:\Games\Ubisoft\Silent HunterIII but it would only allow me to install in C:\Ubisoft\Program files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent HunterIII

Luckily both my C and D drives are both SSD's

GWX v3.0 installed ok but I notice it installs an older version of JSGME.

Thanks for the welcome.

If the game is as good as the manual shows I can see why after all these years why it has such a cult following.

Peter
Old 10-16-14, 06:44 PM   #6
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post

If the game is as good as the manual shows I can see why after all these years why it has such a cult following.

Peter
And has a ton of great mods

I'll get back to SH4 and 5 but with the new computer want to try some of the stuff I could not use before.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 07:54 PM   #7
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Quote:
I wanted D:\Games\Ubisoft\Silent HunterIII but it would only allow me to install in C:\Ubisoft\Program files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent HunterIII
Did you try installing as administrator, or just as user?

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-14, 10:33 AM   #8
THEBERBSTER

I am an administrator, but I am not sure how I would be able to change the installation to make it an administrator installation.

The only opportunity you have to change the installation is when the default path is shown.

You are given the opportunity to browse and change the path.

Changing the path from the default path then shows a windows installation error.

It is only by accepting the default path that the installation completes successfully.
Old 10-17-14, 02:06 PM   #9
THEBERBSTER

Hi guys

Well I have taken your advice and gone for it and installed SH3 Commander and some of the GWX mods that came with it.

I have down loaded but not yet installed the GWX Cfg files for SH3 Commander easy installer.

This is because I was reading the SH3 Commander manual and it states “you must have run Silent Hunter III at least once in order to set up your Silent Hunter III data files.”

Does that mean I now need to disable the GWX mods?

While I am an experienced gamer on SH4 and SH5 I know nothing about SH3 apart from what I am reading in the game manuals.

Could someone explain to me what I need to do next please?

Also I would like to be able to get some practical experience using the tutorials that came with SH3 even though I will have SH3 Commander installed?

Can I do that?

Peter
Old 10-17-14, 02:40 PM   #10
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

In Windows explorer looking at the contents of the DVD drive, if you right click on the Setup.exe executable you should see the option "Run as Administrator".

Even if your user account is part of the Administrator group, it may not always be able perform all actions without restrictions. Sometimes you need to tell the OS that you are "putting your administrative cap on" so to say, to do something. Or else it can still consider you as a normal user.

I remember having been in this situation where I was not allowed to specify an alternate install location (greyed out). But cannot remember how I resolved it. But I'm sure I did somehow. Best bet is it is the above way.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-14, 03:05 PM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Well I have taken your advice and gone for it and installed SH3 Commander and some of the GWX mods that came with it.
I'm confused here. To the best of my knowledge Commander doesn't come with GWX or any other mods. It is a stand-alone program that works outside the game.

Quote:
I have down loaded but not yet installed the GWX Cfg files for SH3 Commander easy installer.

This is because I was reading the SH3 Commander manual and it states “you must have run Silent Hunter III at least once in order to set up your Silent Hunter III data files.”
This is because Commander can't "see" an install that doesn't exist. If you've already run SH3 once then you should be good to go. The Cfg files can be installed to Commander at any time. They mainly add some extra ships to the the files so Commander can read them.

Quote:
Does that mean I now need to disable the GWX mods?
No. Commander allows you to control different functions, but it does so from its own program, and other mods don't affect its operation. Likewise Commander doesn't affect any other mods except the few that are listed within its own pages, and they are all controlled through Commander by selecting a box to click.

Quote:
Could someone explain to me what I need to do next please?
With Commander and the Cfg files intalled you should be good to go. Just launch the game through Commander and it will tell you what to do. Also, clicking the '?' on Commander's main page will bring up the User Guide, which will explain everything.

Quote:
Also I would like to be able to get some practical experience using the tutorials that came with SH3 even though I will have SH3 Commander installed?

Can I do that?
Absolutely. Commander has no effect on the tutorials at all. GWX, on the other hand, does. The Flak lesson specifically is much harder. On the other hand you don't have to pass anything but the Navigation class. In stock SH3 you are awarded a little extra renown for passing each class, until it adds up to 1500. With GWX you get the full 1500 renown for passing any one class. The rest are just for your enjoyment and education.

None of this has anything to do with SH3 Commander.
Old 10-17-14, 05:54 PM   #12
THEBERBSTER

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply and sorry to confuse you.

I meant that I installed some of the mods from GWX.

I have now installed the GWX Cfg files for SH3 Commander

I have not run SH3 at all yet.

This was the instruction.

“you must have run Silent Hunter III at least once in order to set up your Silent Hunter III data files.”

As I have no data files.

Do I run the SH3.exe and not the Commander and start a new career to create these data files?

Peter
Old 10-17-14, 06:10 PM   #13
THEBERBSTER

Hi Pisces

I take your point, so you are saying change the SH3Autorun.exe to run as administrator from the dvd list.

Do you think that this change will now allow me to choose the install path without getting a windows installation error?

If you were in my position would you uninstall everything and start again?

Peter
Old 10-17-14, 06:37 PM   #14
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Quote:
Hi Pisces

I take your point, so you are saying change the SH3Autorun.exe to run as administrator from the dvd list.

Do you think that this change will now allow me to choose the install path without getting a windows installation error?

If you were in my position would you uninstall everything and start again?

Peter
Yes, I would try to get the game installed in some other place than Program Files (whatever), before you get into a modded game. Better do it now before you are well invested into a campaign. I am not 100% that this is the solution. But can't hurt to try.

What exact windows installation error are you getting? Upto now I only understood that the option was greyed out for you. Please be precise in what you experience when installing the game.

Another quirk that I remember the Silent Hunter 3 installer suffering from is the pressence of a space in the folder name. Apparently the space in Program Files is no problem. But between "Silent" and "Hunter" was for me. Try concattenating those words.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-14, 08:32 PM   #15
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Do I run the SH3.exe and not the Commander and start a new career to create these data files?
Just for fun I would try starting it with Commander right off the bat. If it doesn't work it will just say it couldn't find any files and refuse to run. If that happens it won't hurt anything and you can start it again directly from SH3. Or you can just run SH3 by itself and play a training scenario or a single mission, and you'll be good to go.