SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-26-12, 01:54 PM   #16
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189
Uploads: 0

Yeah, this is one genre that doesn't need an XP grind. It's funny, the very first and most successfull MMO sims (e.g Aces High, Warbirds) always let you pick and choose whatever you wanted to without unlocks or contrived "design" elements like that. I hate how every game HAS to have levels and unlocks just because Modern Warfare made a billion dollars and popularized that ****.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 02:03 PM   #17
Sartoris
Captain

Downloads: 106

Oh god why. This looks terrible.
Sartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 02:16 PM   #18
DrJones
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 341

What the hell...i don't believe it...they spend time and money for an online game and they are not able to finish the game SH5...i can't believe it....:s tare::Kaleun_M ad:
DrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 02:18 PM   #19
DrJones
Samurai Navy

Default Silent Hunter Online....

the new project from ubisoft makes me sick....not able to finish and patch sh5 but spending time and money for an online game....
Old 04-26-12, 02:21 PM   #20
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

makes me sick also You can tell that Ubi is all about the $$$. They could give a rats you-know-what about anything else

What makes me ever sicker is this is how all of corporate America is turning out to be...gotta make the shareholders happy and screw everyone else
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 02:33 PM   #21
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Online Silent Hunter

Remember this-
Old 04-26-12, 02:36 PM   #22
DrJones
Samurai Navy

Just visitit the facebook proile of the silent hunter online threat. Just left an disappointing comment there.....
Old 04-26-12, 02:44 PM   #23
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3

I would contest the success of Warbirds and Aces High but then again, if they survived as long as they did, works for me But you have to remember that in both games you would pay a monthly fee in order to play!

BTW, COD is not the first game to have XP, levels and unlocks. The thing about unlocks is that they actually serves to gradually introduce features to the player without overwhelming him from the start. Would a game work without them? Sure.

I did work on SHO as a consultant for a couple of months before leaving Ubi. It has some potential. Will it replace SH3/4/5? Negative, I don't think it will, its a different game with a sliglty different target. But they do want to get the Subsim guys to like it, they're very careful about it.

If it turned out anything like what was on paper when I left, it should have some interesting tricks up its sleeve, things that you've never been able to do in the SH series before.

Its free, may be worth a try, right?

Dan

elanaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 03:04 PM   #24
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Old 04-26-12, 03:04 PM   #25
pascal4541
Officer

Downloads: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
What the hell...i don't believe it...they spend time and money for an online game and they are not able to finish the game SH5...i can't believe it....:s tare::Kaleun_M ad:

Rampage Formula X48+E8600@4600Mhz H24+Corsair H50+4X2Go GSkill Trident PC9600+Sapphire HD6870@ 960/4600Mhz+WD Raptor 74Go+WD CaviarBlack 500Gox2+Samsung F1 500Go+CoolerMaster M850W+7-64Bits
pascal4541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 03:06 PM   #26
drEaPer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 0

About grinding stuff:

I am killing so much tonnage in SH3 anyway... just because its fun... think about it for a sec: What do submarines do? What is their purpose? They grind tonnage... its actually what they are made for....

One could say grinding in a shooter has more diversity than doing the same stuff over and over again to kill some freighters....

Spot convoy, follow, get in firing position, kill, maybe kill some DDs, or
evade them and all for a value, called tonnage...
now, just for a moment, replace "tonnage" by "highscore".
Whats the difference? Not much...
When you return to base after a patrol, your success is measured in a very unspectaculay way: Just a number.

Since I m grinding anyway, because the process of doing so is fun, where is the problem?
drEaPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 03:06 PM   #27
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

How many threads does this need?
Old 04-26-12, 03:07 PM   #28
pascal4541
Officer

Downloads: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Online Silent Hunter

Remember this-

Trevally
pascal4541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 03:34 PM   #29
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanaiba View Post
But they do want to get the Subsim guys to like it, they're very careful about it.
well UBI would probably have more goodwill around here if they had, at a strict minimum, patched SH5 to remove the most obvious bugs.

I was more than willing to give UBI the benefit of the doubt over SH5, but this looks like the final sellout of the SH franchise.

The only good thing about this is that it makes NWAC look better and better...
Old 04-26-12, 03:38 PM   #30
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanaiba View Post
I would contest the success of Warbirds and Aces High but then again, if they survived as long as they did, works for me But you have to remember that in both games you would pay a monthly fee in order to play!

BTW, COD is not the first game to have XP, levels and unlocks. The thing about unlocks is that they actually serves to gradually introduce features to the player without overwhelming him from the start. Would a game work without them? Sure.

I did work on SHO as a consultant for a couple of months before leaving Ubi. It has some potential. Will it replace SH3/4/5? Negative, I don't think it will, its a different game with a sliglty different target. But they do want to get the Subsim guys to like it, they're very careful about it.

If it turned out anything like what was on paper when I left, it should have some interesting tricks up its sleeve, things that you've never been able to do in the SH series before.

Its free, may be worth a try, right?

Dan
We shall see. I'll judge it by it's own merits for sure. I worked on BF3 which had a pretty lame implementation (gotta level up to get flares on your jet) and if it's anything like that my interest will take a crashdive*. I just don't care for that type of grind where you are forced to start off with the lowest-tier equipment.

*It's already diving just because it's WW2 Uboats again. I would much prefer an online game with some Sturgeon-on-Victor III action.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote