SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-01-18, 07:42 PM   #1
Rosomaha
Loader

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 1
Default Questions. SH5 models and dynamic shadows

1. What is responsible for building dynamic shadows on GR2 in sh5? What parameter / setting or property? Someone had a successful editing - adding models with dynamic shadows?

2. What version of GR2EditorViewer is able to add new Bones to the GR2 file without errors, if any?
Rosomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 08:57 AM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosomaha View Post
1. What is responsible for building dynamic shadows on GR2 in sh5? What parameter / setting or property? Someone had a successful editing - adding models with dynamic shadows?

2. What version of GR2EditorViewer is able to add new Bones to the GR2 file without errors, if any?
1 - IIRC, unlike other SH games SH5 dynamic shadows are automatically calculated when it comes to GR2 objects. I think they are encoded somewhere in the shaders. There is not controller / parameter / setting that I remember of.

2 - Try some of the older versions, I don't remember which one works for me, but I can send you all the versions I saved on my HD if you want
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-18, 09:52 AM   #3
Rosomaha
Loader

Hi, Gap. Thank yuo. No I do not want to. I have an entire carriage of these versions. I have been collecting material for a long time, unless ... not have SDK GR2EditorViewer from TDW?

It seems I understood: large objects up to a certain size have shadows, while small objects, such as "NF_Boat_1" and less, lose them. Perhaps for this reason, NF_Boat_1 is not included in the "Roster" of the stock game (although his model remained at "Sea" folder), the developers also did not add a "torpedo boat" to the game, there are no more shadows on "CMD_small_boat". Obviously, these are the settings for the game renderer for units, size does matter.)

Last edited by Rosomaha; 10-05-18 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-05-18, 11:24 AM   #4
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hi, Gap. Thank yuo. No I do not want to. I have an entire carriage of these versions. I have been collecting material for a long time, unless ... not have SDK GR2EditorViewer from TDW?
I don't know what do you mean by SDK in this particular case, but I can share the version of granny viewer that TDW and Jeff (Grove aka privateer) used for hacking many secrets of the GR2 format

Quote:
It seems I understood: large objects up to a certain size have shadows, while small objects, such as "NF_Boat_1" and less, lose them. Perhaps for this reason, NF_Boat_1 is not included in the "Roster" of the stock game (although his model remained at "Sea" folder), the developers also did not add a "torpedo boat" to the game, there are no more shadows on "CMD_small_boat". Obviously, these are the settings for the game renderer for units, size does matter.)
I don't know what is the problem with that boat, but in the past I have imported some custom units in game (as granny objects), and they do cast shadows. IIRC, unlike water reflections which require a secondary model, shadows are calculated based on 3d mesh is used. Your guess that unit size matters for shadow calculations could be correct, but the only way we can investigate on it is by looking in the game shaders
Old 10-05-18, 03:41 PM   #5
Rosomaha
Loader

SDK - software development kit - source code of the program GR2EditorViewer.
if you about gr2-viewer of radgame – I have this thing in bulk too:

"NF_Boat_1" (added on Roster in The Wolves of Steel) I gave for example only. Gap, you personally can easily check this guess on this sh5unit even without going into the shaders - GR2EditorViewer-> Export obj-> in 3DsMax or other 3deditor - simply increase the model by x2 (enough) or more times -> GR2EditorViewer -> Import mesh back to GR2 and dynamic shadows appear on “NF_Boat_1”:

Old 10-06-18, 03:25 AM   #6
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
SDK - software development kit - source code of the program GR2EditorViewer.
Okay, if you are talking about the source code of GR2 Editor/Viewer, I am afraid only TDW can provide it, and unfortunately he has not been around for a long time. Nonetheless, as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, another veteran forum member, Jeff Groves, might have some pieces of information for you. IIRC, TDW's work on his editor started with an exchange of information between him and Jeff.

Quote:
if you about gr2-viewer of radgame – I have this thing in bulk too:

8.2.33.0 is the version that I am talking about. Apparently, it has some "weak spots" that TDW was able to exploit for understading better the (then) new and still undisclosed 3D format.

Quote:
"NF_Boat_1" (added on Roster in The Wolves of Steel) I gave for example only. Gap, you personally can easily check this guess on this sh5unit even without going into the shaders - GR2EditorViewer-> Export obj-> in 3DsMax or other 3deditor - simply increase the model by x2 (enough) or more times -> GR2EditorViewer -> Import mesh back to GR2 and dynamic shadows appear on “NF_Boat_1”:

Okay, since it is obviously that you have already confirmed your guess, I think there's no need for me to do the same.

My suggestion to look into the game shaders was more about the "why" size matters for shadow calculations rather than "if" it does or not
Old 10-06-18, 08:55 AM   #7
Rosomaha
Loader

Good, gap. Ок. We live in different places, we speak different languages - sometimes we can misunderstand each other - this is normal.

I don't need any information from Jeff Groves… In principle at the moment and also already there is no need for the original sdk.

As for the gr2-viewer (RadGames) versions, it's enough for me to have three - the oldest, the average by release date, and the newer - closer to the last. All of them give exhaustive information about the composition of GR2 files and I do not find some fundamental differences in this among them, the only thing: the oldest versions may simply not work with the latter files due to accumulated changes.

smallnote: you, probably, were sealed and meant not 8.2.33.0, but 2.8.33.0, since I did not hear about versions above 2.11... but it is irrelevant

In any case, I thank you, gap, for а participating in the topic and interest.
Old 10-06-18, 09:23 AM   #8
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Good, gap. Ок. We live in different places, we speak different languages - sometimes we can misunderstand each other - this is normal.

I don't need any information from Jeff Groves… In principle at the moment and also already there is no need for the original sdk.

As for the gr2-viewer (RadGames) versions, it's enough for me to have three - the oldest, the average by release date, and the newer - closer to the last. All of them give exhaustive information about the composition of GR2 files and I do not find some fundamental differences in this among them, the only thing: the oldest versions may simply not work with the latter files due to accumulated changes.

smallnote: you, probably, were sealed and meant not 8.2.33.0, but 2.8.33.0, since I did not hear about versions above 2.11... but it is irrelevant

In any case, I thank you, gap, for а participating in the topic and interest.
No problem mate. Yes, we have different languages but we share the same hobby and, most importantly, the same spirit.

Whatever you have in mind about GR2 editing and SH5, I hope it will result in better knowledge of the game and possibly in new modding possibilities in the near future.

In any case don't esitate asking again whenever you need to know anything, and yes I meant v. 2.8.33.0 lol. My bad
Old 10-11-18, 01:28 PM   #9
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
understading better the (then) new and still undisclosed 3D format.
What? The 3d format has been discussed and is very easy to access in the GR2 files.
Changing them is the issue based on all the keys needing adjusted when doing so if things are changed to much.
I opened the Bunker for a full walk around without running into that problem years ago.

@Rosomaha
I can provide a nice template for 010 editor that was used to start the build on TDW's program. 010 is on sale for 30% off right now. I highly recommend it!

But I guess I can't offer you any help as you are not receptive to advice or help?

And you should really study the ShadowMapUtils.inc for this question.

Oh. One can disassemble C# programs with the proper tools also. Maybe you want to give that a shot.

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 10-11-18 at 04:17 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote