Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-03-18, 06:06 AM   #766
Pionier
Nub

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0
Default Radio silence or not?

XenonSurf , thanks!

Of course, i play WOS only. As i understood from your message, there are no penalties to the player, if he don't respond to BDU order about location and status.
The main thing for awards and renown is finishing of the grid patrolling and some tonnage...

This is a good thing from one side for a player, but it is unrealistic - as i know, german commanders were obliged to intencive radio speaking. So why they were destroyed so often...

My first goal in the game is to SURVIVE, not tonnage or awards. I still dream to see the sunrise at 09 05 1945 in my periscope...

Pionier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 08:21 AM   #767
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pionier View Post
XenonSurf , thanks!

Of course, i play WOS only. As i understood from your message, there are no penalties to the player, if he don't respond to BDU order about location and status.
The main thing for awards and renown is finishing of the grid patrolling and some tonnage...

This is a good thing from one side for a player, but it is unrealistic - as i know, german commanders were obliged to intencive radio speaking. So why they were destroyed so often...

My first goal in the game is to SURVIVE, not tonnage or awards. I still dream to see the sunrise at 09 05 1945 in my periscope...

You wont receive any direct penalties but also, BdU wont inform You about potentially spotted units in your vicinity (occasional "yellow" radio report) so, it's up to You...

Happy hunting!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 08:30 AM   #768
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

There is a sort of penalty, but not very severe:
By sinking ships inside your patrol area, or succeeding secondary missions you get points to distribute at the bunker afterwards for improving your sub and crew performance. Everytime you put the crew in 'Battle Stations level 2' they act according to their performance which can be seen if you fire-up the crew window and click on a crew image to see his details. You need to manually distribute a crewman's points (until you read 0 points), don't forget that, especially for sonar man, or they act sub-optimal.

If you skip your orders and patrol elsewhere, then you won't get these crew points or points for your sub, that's it I think.
Also in SH5 there is the quirk that once you enter your patrol zone, you should not leave it early because the time counter to decide if you are successful will be reset if you save the game inside the zone. To avoid that, stay in your zone in 1 go and only save once you leave the zone. Not patrolling the ordered time will also 'only' get you as a penalty no points for your sub and crew. (sorry for my English, this makes it a long text...)

The sticky post for TWoS is a long one, but it's worth to read because it contains many finesses about the game and how you play TWoS, so I recommend to read it.

Cheers,
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 11:16 AM   #769
Pionier
Nub

Default Radio silence or not?

vdr1981, XenonSurf, many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
You wont receive any direct penalties but also, BdU wont inform You about potentially spotted units in your vicinity (occasional "yellow" radio report) so, it's up to You...
I didn't know that BDU in WOS really follow me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
You need to manually distribute a crewman's points (until you read 0 points), don't forget that, especially for sonar man, or they act sub-optimal.
Hmmm...
So i should upgrade my radio guy too, the ability "SAFE COMMUNICATION"??!
The sticky post for TWoS is a long one, indeed, but it seems there is nothing about the radio problem...
When i see an option in a game, i never know that the option is really a working one. And how it works...
OK, it's all clear now

Cheers!
Pionier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-18, 06:09 AM   #770
TakeTheBody
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Default When to pull the trigger

Good morning,

I'm playing SH5 WOS. Fantastic experience. In past played a bunch of vanilla SH3 some time ago.

During my SH3 time, I used the fully assisted targeting. Now I'm going full manual thanks to wonderful youtubers providing tutorials. I am in crawl phase of skill development. I have a saved game at a point hunting a lonely freighter on my first mission in game where I'm practicing RAOFB.

One thing I did not see clearly (or failed to detect) in all the demonstrations, is once all firing solution data input to TDC manually, when to pull the trigger. I turn on TDC once data is entered and track target and am not sure where sight picture should be to fire.

Some youtubers mention panning sight picture till the gyro reads 0, then fire. I've tried that with mixed results. My last shot last night was 3900 meters and I fired a medium speed torp with my sight picture center mass on target without gyro at 0 and achieved a hit.

With the mixed results, I am not sure what is a consistent way to place sight picture so I can work towards mastery.

Also, what are the parameters for setting speed of torp as it relates to speed of target and distance. during my "practice" runs against the freighter in my saved game, my fast torps over shot, while mediums struck. Target was at 3900m. I had a few shots at greater distances and I'm pretty sure my torps overshot when I used fast setting as well.

Thank you for any suggestions and apologies if this is posted somewhere else.
TakeTheBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-18, 05:48 AM   #771
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeTheBody View Post
Good morning,

I'm playing SH5 WOS. Fantastic experience. In past played a bunch of vanilla SH3 some time ago.

During my SH3 time, I used the fully assisted targeting. Now I'm going full manual thanks to wonderful youtubers providing tutorials. I am in crawl phase of skill development. I have a saved game at a point hunting a lonely freighter on my first mission in game where I'm practicing RAOFB.

One thing I did not see clearly (or failed to detect) in all the demonstrations, is once all firing solution data input to TDC manually, when to pull the trigger. I turn on TDC once data is entered and track target and am not sure where sight picture should be to fire.

Some youtubers mention panning sight picture till the gyro reads 0, then fire. I've tried that with mixed results. My last shot last night was 3900 meters and I fired a medium speed torp with my sight picture center mass on target without gyro at 0 and achieved a hit.

With the mixed results, I am not sure what is a consistent way to place sight picture so I can work towards mastery.

Also, what are the parameters for setting speed of torp as it relates to speed of target and distance. during my "practice" runs against the freighter in my saved game, my fast torps over shot, while mediums struck. Target was at 3900m. I had a few shots at greater distances and I'm pretty sure my torps overshot when I used fast setting as well.

Thank you for any suggestions and apologies if this is posted somewhere else.
3900m is way far from target to get accurate hit IMHO.
I always try to fire within 1000m radius or even closer
This way, target has little to no way chance to avoid your torpedos.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 06:06 AM   #772
italianmarine
A-ganger

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
There is a sort of penalty, but not very severe:
By sinking ships inside your patrol area, or succeeding secondary missions you get points to distribute at the bunker afterwards for improving your sub and crew performance. Everytime you put the crew in 'Battle Stations level 2' they act according to their performance which can be seen if you fire-up the crew window and click on a crew image to see his details. You need to manually distribute a crewman's points (until you read 0 points), don't forget that, especially for sonar man, or they act sub-optimal.

If you skip your orders and patrol elsewhere, then you won't get these crew points or points for your sub, that's it I think.
Also in SH5 there is the quirk that once you enter your patrol zone, you should not leave it early because the time counter to decide if you are successful will be reset if you save the game inside the zone. To avoid that, stay in your zone in 1 go and only save once you leave the zone. Not patrolling the ordered time will also 'only' get you as a penalty no points for your sub and crew. (sorry for my English, this makes it a long text...)

The sticky post for TWoS is a long one, but it's worth to read because it contains many finesses about the game and how you play TWoS, so I recommend to read it.

Cheers,
one question: If I am on the way to the patrol point and sink ships on the way there, will I get also crew points? Of course the tonnages sunk I can see, but I am wondering if I get the xp.
If I report those contacts I get replies from BdU like:
-act on your own
-Attack contact

Last edited by italianmarine; 01-08-19 at 07:37 AM.
italianmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 09:38 PM   #773
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi guys. So playing TWOS I have a few more things I am trying to iron out.

First is in the top right, when those various buttons are yellowish does that mean I am DISABLING that feature? IE I don't want to drop to TC1 on a random radio messsage, do I make sure its yellow? Or grey?

Second is even though I have map update contacts on in both the realism settings and show xyz in map mode from TDW's patcher, I am still failing to see anything. Multiple times I have gotten spottings from my men to see no visual representation on the map.

Third is which setting (if it is not default) in TDW's patcher do I need to enable to be able to VISUALLY get to see radio contact reports on the map? Like in GWX where you could hover and get the approx. course, speed, and size. It seems here you must manually plot those. Addendum to that question is x1 TC button fro that the one for "On Radio Cntct Rcvd" ??

Thanks!

-USNSR
Old 02-03-20, 10:17 AM   #774
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
Hi guys. So playing TWOS I have a few more things I am trying to iron out.

First is in the top right, when those various buttons are yellowish does that mean I am DISABLING that feature? IE I don't want to drop to TC1 on a random radio messsage, do I make sure its yellow? Or grey?

Second is even though I have map update contacts on in both the realism settings and show xyz in map mode from TDW's patcher, I am still failing to see anything. Multiple times I have gotten spottings from my men to see no visual representation on the map.

Third is which setting (if it is not default) in TDW's patcher do I need to enable to be able to VISUALLY get to see radio contact reports on the map? Like in GWX where you could hover and get the approx. course, speed, and size. It seems here you must manually plot those. Addendum to that question is x1 TC button fro that the one for "On Radio Cntct Rcvd" ??

Thanks!

-USNSR

I assume that you have activated optional "Real Navigation" add-on?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-20, 12:31 PM   #775
Mathias Kaiser
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 352
Default You can't run a Silent hunter game 5.

You can't run a Silent hunter game 5. Hello, I'm supposed to run the problem roughly .When loaded, see the picture. The game is downloaded from Steam, reading at Uplay Mum. Thank you in advance.

[sh5-Screenshot-2020-02-15-12-45-40-43.png](https://postimg.cc/rDTH5w5g)

Last edited by Mathias Kaiser; 02-23-20 at 12:42 PM.
Mathias Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 06:23 PM   #776
Tindahbawx
Watch

Downloads: 89

Hi guys, I've somehow managed to drag the bottom of my minimap off the bottom of the screen and cannot seem to make it reset position vto where it was above the wee controls on the bottom left, does anyone know how to do this?
Tindahbawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 01:08 PM   #777
n0mjaS
Watch

Downloads: 10

is it possible to lower the flag on an uboat? i think i was doing that in sh3 but cant find it here?
n0mjaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 10:10 AM   #778
n0mjaS
Watch

Downloads: 10

Also speaking of flags, i just sinked two neutral ships, one because i didnt look at the flag (my bad lol), but the other one looked like British, but apparently it was New Zealand. He did have some funny lights, green and red, is that something i should look for? I think i met Spanish ship before who was illuminating his flag too..
(TWoS mod)
n0mjaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 10:13 AM   #779
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Mathias Kaiser! somewhat belatedly: my bad. Nice 11 year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 10:16 AM   #780
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote