SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-08, 01:28 PM   #151
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Uploads: 0
Default vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm1
Hi , does it work better under Vista ?
Here's a point: SH3 works for me in Vista on a laptop but SH4 won't run !

I don't think Vista adds anything nor changes anything in the game. Perhhaps Vista manages memory better???:hmm:
Old 07-14-08, 05:41 PM   #152
nirwana
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 17

My advice for this prob still is dump the sh3/4 games on dvds with those damnend
......starforce crap and get the download version without it. All what u have to do in any vista version is to disable account management before installing.

Last edited by nirwana; 07-14-08 at 07:04 PM.
nirwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 08:30 AM   #153
Dirk Teknik
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default Vista Woes

I see the last update was nigh on a year back - since then has anyone got the definitive way of making SH3 work reliably on Vista?

My own experience - moved countries, left my clunky old XP tower system back in the UK on basis it probably wouldn't survive seafreightage. Brought SH3 disc and purchased new laptop en route to new home, laptop came with vista. Didn't overly concern me at the time as I remembered the needless fuss & resistance I'd made going from Win 95 to 98 but oh boy is this different. Hate vista with a pasion - to the point of going to local software store to buy a copy of XP - possible for around $140 BUT not possible to install because Sony haven't issued the driver mods to enable my unit to run XP in place of vista

I've now installed SH3, done the "starforce" update thing, uninstalled SH3, re-installed once more (being careful to always select "XP" in the "compatibility" settings - even for the "setup" file). Now I'm in the situation where sometimes it will work, but more frequently it freezes during loading and its the "power off" button to kill the computer as the only way out. Had a play with some of the other settings on "properties" (Disable Visual / Desktop / Scaling etc) but nothing seems to improve the reliability

Any Ideas please?

Regards

Dirk Teknik
Dirk Teknik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 09:11 AM   #154
Stingray67
Seaman

Downloads: 2

Just a short message to say...DON'T DESPAIR!

I haven't found a magic way, but this is what happened to me.
I got my new laptop (Dell XPS1330, Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processors T9300 (2,50 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 6 MB L2-cache, 128 MB nVidia® GeForce® 8 400M GS, 4 096 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM-memeory [2x2048]) and was eager to get SHIII.

I was nervous since I know a lot of people have had serious problems. So I installed it according to the instructions, updated to 1.4b, updated Starforce, and...crash.
Not working. I ran it compatiböe for XP and as Administrator but to no use. Fifth reinstall I got it to work in vanilla but when I installed GWX 2.1 is stopped working for me. On my Ninth reinstall I got it to work and istalled GWX2.0. It works beautifully.
Now I am afraid of tampering with it so I will not install GWX2.1.

My point with all of this, I guess, is just to say keep the faith. A lot of the times I never changed anything in between installs. Suddenly it just worked.
Stingray67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 10:46 PM   #155
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25
Default Master Tweak guide for VISTA and XP Users

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

That link above can help gamers tweak there OS, various softwares, patches and games according to there own needs and wants.

That one above deals mainly with VISTA and XP but the tweakguides site has many other information that could give you guys with low end systems a chance or even the uber super duper computer fanatics better handling and control of their current system.

Happy hunting all and goodluck.

WH
Old 08-30-08, 04:43 AM   #156
Brusilov
Nub

Default Vista 64 Bit Ultimate Edition

I'm having similar problems to other posters who are trying to install SHIII.

I get the 'protection' error on launch. I've attempted to update and also remove the Starforce software but it doesn't recognize the fact that there is such a thing installed.

Messages are as posted previously by other posters.

I've changed all the exes I can find in the SHIII folder to be run as an administrator as well. Not found where starforce is run from yet.

I've managed to get most other games to work in Vista but have problems with Ubi Soft games (IL-2 as well is still in a state of not being able to be launched).

Update: I was able to install SH IV without any problems.

Last edited by Brusilov; 08-30-08 at 01:14 PM.
Brusilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 03:29 AM   #157
U443
Seaman

Add me to the list of victims of Starforce, spent hours today trying to get SH3 GW 2.1 to work and get the error message. Various suggestions I followed let to a message that said no Starforce driver found etc. There has to be an answer to this nightmare.

Quote:
i d/l from d2d and installed on vista home premium on my laptop and it works without changing compatability or anything.
What is this and where can I download it?
U443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 09:46 AM   #158
lemon
Swabbie

Same problem here

Vista 64 bit, SH III DVD installation went fine. Update to 1.4b went fine too.
Tried the starforce update but no starforce drivers. Started to start the sim but received the not supported OS message.
Installed GTL which is also a starforce sim and was able to update the starforce drivers and GTL is running.

SH III still give the not supported OS message.
According to Medico (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=107) there had been some files which are working fine with 64 bit. Why are they not posted ? Or was it a joke ?
lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-08, 04:36 AM   #159
U443
Seaman

For those of us whose system tells us we have no Starforce driver so we cannot update, Is there anywhere can we download the actual starforce driver itself for Vista 64? This problem is infuriating!
Old 10-12-08, 10:12 AM   #160
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by U443
For those of us whose system tells us we have no Starforce driver so we cannot update, Is there anywhere can we download the actual starforce driver itself for Vista 64? This problem is infuriating!
As a last resort, you could always try buying the Encore version which has no StarForce Valid Consumer Annoyance Drivers included with it. Only $10.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017HIH6O

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 01:50 AM   #161
U443
Seaman

Only problem is I live in Australia.I wonder if i can get it here? Btw is it patched to V1.4b?
Old 10-13-08, 07:51 PM   #162
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by U443
Only problem is I live in Australia.I wonder if i can get it here? Btw is it patched to V1.4b?
Yeah, the Encore edition is 1.4b out of the box.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 01:41 AM   #163
U443
Seaman

Another dead end, they don't ship outside of the US and this is not available in Australia.

So I guess I am back to still needing a link to the actual Starforce driver that will let me play with Vista 64,
Old 10-14-08, 02:12 AM   #164
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Contact Owner and the Guys at Com Sub Pac.
http://www.comsubspac.spruz.com/?pag...d=approval&a=1

You'll have to register but they have a lot of know how with Vista.
Old 10-18-08, 09:06 AM   #165
trojer
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Default More installation problems...

I have a perfectly legit DVD of SHIII which I used on a XP laptop a few months ago without probs. Now trying to install the DVD on a Vista 32bit system I keep getting the message that to install the system you must have administrator privileges and a long error report which I am supposed to forward to Ubisoft, where registering is now impossible ( for the moment). Is this starforce stopping me installing the game ?
trojer is offline   Reply With Quote