SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-07, 02:17 PM   #61
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roads88
Quote:
But I've got a problem that almost bought death on me. My observation periscope "is broken", i.e.:
- there is no texture of the round-metal-thing that keeps the lenses, so actually the scope view is a quadrant,
- the screen doesn't refresh properly, so for example the cursor leaves its pattern in every point it was placed on the screen (than u can 'paint' whole the screen with your cursor sign). The same with TDC dials that appear above - when they hide again, you can still see them partially (but it's only "a mirror", as the dials are hidden).
Quote:
Still haven't tested that, but one thing more (I forgot to mention it earlier). There is nothing I dislike in this mod but one thing: Ctrl+Enter doesn't work any more. How can one have this fixed?
I have the same issues and am only running the TDC/Scope mode. It should not be "Lite Habor Trafffic" because I don't run that one.

I don't really miss the observation scope that much but the control-enter fire key I could really use. You have to step lively with your fingers when taking 'Non locked" shots to hit the sweat spot on a ship.:rotfl:

Still a Great Mod!

Beleive me guys, if i thought it was a problem with something i did, i'd have fixed it already. I honestly have no idea how that problem is occuring, ive never seen it.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 02:30 PM   #62
Roads88
Sparky

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Beleive me guys, if i thought it was a problem with something i did, i'd have fixed it already. I honestly have no idea how that problem is occuring, ive never seen it.
hehehe no problem, just leaving feedback.

When I get the time will try removing modes and see if I can figure it out, then post.

It's a get mode and makes the game better. No more jumping around to set up shots.

Thanks for putting it out here were others can use it.

Now i just need the time to sink something.
Old 01-31-07, 06:00 AM   #63
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 4

Observation periscope tested - with other modes uninstalled it's still weird. I prtovide a screenshot: (I made it clickable so that non-interested folks are not made to download it.)
Links: SH5 mods I use, FileFront, Manual plotting how-to
Abd_von_Mumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 06:18 AM   #64
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abd_von_Mumit
Observation periscope tested - with other modes uninstalled it's still weird. I prtovide a screenshot: (I made it clickable so that non-interested folks are not made to download it.)

THats just bloody weird.

You using the latest version of my mod pack? (ver 5a)

Do you have ANY other mods installed?

EXACTLY what mods did you have installed before? (IE was there any conflicts? or mods which shared the same files?)

Do you have the december fix's installed?

Are you sure you rolled back SH3 commander before messing around with any mods?

If you tried to delete the redmask.tga to use the low contrast textures, are you sure you deleted the right file and not another one by accident?

Orginally i meant for this modpack to be somethign id unpack directly into SH3 because i didnt intend to be juggling mods around anymore, was just going to stop modding and just play for a change. Then over time this modpack evolved into somethign to keep my personalized settings incase i take another long break from the game. Point being i meant this modpack to work correctly on the first go, and as a standalone, all encompassing pack.

Seriously, this modpack touches ALOT of files, it woudlnt be hard for another mod to have conflicts with it. Ive unistalled SH3 about 2 of 3 times, and at one point had to D/L this modpack off of my own bloody server Unzipped it after a total reinstall of SH3, Patch 1.4b, GWX, december fixes, - and it works like a charm. Infact Version 6 ive already built up from version 5a and am testing now. That one too, no problems at all. So im really at a loss as to how your getting that weird error with the obs scope.
Old 01-31-07, 07:02 AM   #65
geralt
Loader

Downloads: 24

Quote:
it seems to me you are missing the 'OBSPeriscope.tga' file in data\menu\gui folder

or check the menu_1024_768.ini file... can you find this block?
[G2B I131]
Name=Background
Type=1030;Static bmp
ItemID=0x2B000001
ParentID=0x2B000000
Pos=0,768,1024,768
Color=0xFFFFFFFF
Materials=1
Display=2;Linear
Mat 0=data/menu/gui/OBSPeriscope.tga
Crop 0=0,0,1,0.75
MatFlags=0x21
TexFmt=0x9

/the Ixxx number can differ if so search the end of G2B section
geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 08:04 AM   #66
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus
Quote:

THats just bloody weird.
Yup.

Quote:
You using the latest version of my mod pack? (ver 5a)
I suppose so, as I downloaded it two days ago. Readme doesn't state the version nor date.

Quote:
Do you have ANY other mods installed?
While testing - absolutely none but the Dec 23rd GWX patch.

Quote:
EXACTLY what mods did you have installed before? (IE was there any conflicts? or mods which shared the same files?)
- GWX - Late War Sensors Snorkel Antennas,
- GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic,
- GWX - Main movie - 'Das Boot',
- GWX - No Medals on Crew
- SH3 Commander,
- Depth Charge Shake v. 1.03, medium version, lite version, hard version (one at a time, of course),
- GWX Upg Tools&Dials V0.2,
- GWX SC v0.1,
- GWX_IXB_Weathered,
And that's ABSOLUTELY all of them.

Quote:
Do you have the december fix's installed?
Yup.

Quote:
Are you sure you rolled back SH3 commander before messing around with any mods?
Absolutely sure. FSAutoStart+SH3 Commander are the very first programmes I launch any time I want to do ANYTHING with my game or gamefiles. I never launch JSGME before I rollback.

Quote:
If you tried to delete the redmask.tga to use the low contrast textures, are you sure you deleted the right file and not another one by accident?
Ups... I never tried to remove that file. Should I? Did I miss something in the readme..?

Quote:
Orginally i meant for this modpack to be somethign id unpack directly into SH3 because i didnt intend to be juggling mods around anymore, was just going to stop modding and just play for a change. Then over time this modpack evolved into somethign to keep my personalized settings incase i take another long break from the game. Point being i meant this modpack to work correctly on the first go, and as a standalone, all encompassing pack.

Seriously, this modpack touches ALOT of files, it woudlnt be hard for another mod to have conflicts with it. Ive unistalled SH3 about 2 of 3 times, and at one point had to D/L this modpack off of my own bloody server Unzipped it after a total reinstall of SH3, Patch 1.4b, GWX, december fixes, - and it works like a charm. Infact Version 6 ive already built up from version 5a and am testing now. That one too, no problems at all. So im really at a loss as to how your getting that weird error with the obs scope.
So probably I'll have to reinstall my game anew. Nothing big, only a bit time consuming.

Thanks for your assistance, it's highly appreciated.
Old 01-31-07, 05:31 PM   #67
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

I think geralt probably hit the nail on the head. Your probably missing the obs_scope tga file for whatever reason.

If your going to reinstall:

- Install Sh3
- Run 1.4 patch
- Install GWX
- Install December fixes (either directly or through JSGME)
- Enable any GWX mod you like EXCEPT (meaning DO NOT install): Intergraded orders, 16K visual distance, and Engish map and grid references.(16K and english map/grid are included in my mod pack)
- Then enable Flavored to taste.

Then run the game. see if you have the same problem as before.

On a side note, i hope to have version 5b of this mod posted tonight. Ive made a few more changes in the way of fine tuning.
Old 02-01-07, 05:42 AM   #68
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Ok im dead serious now. This ( what i just posted in the orginal post that started this thread) is the final version of anything new.

Next update to this mod package i intend to make after the next GWX patch to address any file incompatiblities with this mod.

Anyway, orginally i had a rather drastic "feature" i was goign to implement and call it version 6 of this mod. After testing it for one patrol, i decided that it wasnt such a great idea. Instead i went back and polished version 5a a little bit more.

Version 5b, i feel is pretty solid. If anyone uses this mod, i hope it makes your SH3/GWX game a little more enjoyable to you. At the least, i think ive finally got everything *just* right where i can stop looking at things and just play the damn game :rotfl:
Old 02-01-07, 08:02 AM   #69
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Quote:
Ok im dead serious now. This ( what i just posted in the orginal post that started this thread) is the final version of anything new.

Next update to this mod package i intend to make after the next GWX patch to address any file incompatiblities with this mod.

Anyway, orginally i had a rather drastic "feature" i was goign to implement and call it version 6 of this mod. After testing it for one patrol, i decided that it wasnt such a great idea. Instead i went back and polished version 5a a little bit more.

Version 5b, i feel is pretty solid. If anyone uses this mod, i hope it makes your SH3/GWX game a little more enjoyable to you. At the least, i think ive finally got everything *just* right where i can stop looking at things and just play the damn game :rotfl:
Is the standalone TDC version also updated, or I shouldn't download it anew?
Old 02-01-07, 12:59 PM   #70
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Is the standalone TDC version also updated, or I shouldn't download it anew?
What's to update on the standalone? It's pretty cut and dry. Just the TDC and nothing else.
Old 02-01-07, 06:37 PM   #71
Kpt, Otto
Planesman

Default Obs Periscope problem too

Hi,

First of all im no expert!

But I had the same problem as Abd Von Mumit and I used only the stand alone TDC Mod which I found so usefull.

The trouble was the Obs scope was shagged!

Thank you Geralt because you have solved the problem for me, well almost but without your help I could not have found the problem.

You see even in the stock version of the game I could not find the file:
data/menu/gui/OBS_Periscope.tga therefore it must be missing altogether. I think there are two differant versions of the game either european, us or dvd version or download version because i always noticed the Obs scope was similar to the attack scope.

Ive checked the file folders in the NGYM and GWX versions and they do not have it either? All they have is data/menu/gui/Periscope.tga

Ducimus / Geralt i think perhaps you both have a differant version of the game than some other peole and it contains the differant file. OBS_Periscope.tga

Anyhow there apears to be two ways to solve this problem and I tried one and it worked for me.

Open the file data/menu/menu_1024_768.ini and look for the following:

[G2B I130]
Name=Background
Type=1030;Static bmp
ItemID=0x2B000001
ParentID=0x2B000000
Pos=0,768,1024,768
Color=0xFFFFFFFF
Materials=1
Display=2;Linear
Mat 0=data/menu/gui/OBS_Periscope.tga
Crop 0=0,0,1,0.75
MatFlags=0x21
TexFmt=0x9

Where it says
Mat 0=data/menu/gui/OBS_Periscope.tga

change it to
Mat 0=data/menu/gui/Periscope.tga

it should now read
[G2B I130]
Name=Background
Type=1030;Static bmp
ItemID=0x2B000001
ParentID=0x2B000000
Pos=0,768,1024,768
Color=0xFFFFFFFF
Materials=1
Display=2;Linear
Mat 0=data/menu/gui/Periscope.tga
Crop 0=0,0,1,0.75
MatFlags=0x21
TexFmt=0x9

The only other way to do it is if someone posts up a copy of the OBS_Priscope.tga file somewhere for us to download as it doesnt seem to come with the version of the stock game / GWX or NGYM that I have.

Thank you again Geralt for your help

and Decimus for this great Mod.

Kpt Otto
U-137
type IId
Kpt, Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 06:44 PM   #72
Kpt, Otto
Planesman

Default opps

Should say
"Ducimus / Geralt i think perhaps you both have a differant version of the game than some other people and it contains the differant file. OBS_Periscope.tga" :rotfl:

I must of been on the shnapps when i wrote that!
Kpt, Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 08:27 PM   #73
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Hmmm.
The folks that are getting these weird problems with the observation periscope.

Question for you.

Are you using the low contrast textures for the periscopes or are you deleting them?
Old 02-01-07, 08:27 PM   #74
Steppenwolf
中国水兵

Kpt. Otto,
I may be able to clear the situation up a little bit.

Neither the stock version nor GWX uses an OBS_periscope.tga. The [G2B I130] block in the menu_1024_768.ini file that you mention, has always pointed to Periscope.tga I believe this is because stock and GWX use the same background for both the (F3) Attack periscope and (O) Observation periscope screens.

In Ducimus' "Periscope Stand Alone Mod", no Periscope.tga or OBS_periscope.tga files were included, BUT the "menu_1024_768" file has the change in the [G2B I130] block to point to a "OBS_periscope.tga file. So if you have only applied the "Periscope standalone" mod you may have the problem with the Observation scope. Lots of people don't use the Observation scope, so I don't think too many people even notice the problem, if they have it.

In Ducimus full "Flavored to Taste Mod", he provides both a new low-contrast Periscope.tga and OBS_periscope.tga file (Although these files are really identical and OBS_periscope.tga is just a copy of Periscope.tga that has been renamed). Therefore, you will not have a problem with the observation scope.

This is not remotely a criticism of Ducimus' mod, which I absolutely love. I suspect (and obviously I'm just guessing here) that at one point, changes for a mod that was altering the Observation Scope to have a little different background from the Attack Scope got carried over to these mods somewhere along the line. Given the sweeping changes in Ducimus' mod I am amazed there aren't any other inconsistencies like this one.
Steppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 08:47 PM   #75
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Ahhhhh.

Ok i was afraid of that. I think i know what happened now.

Simply put, the 1024_768.ini file ive been using was from beta. (which was when i started to bring in the periscope TDC). In the GWX beta there was an OBS_scope.tga (took me by surpise acutally). When GWX was released, i glossed over it, didnt notice any apparent changes in the 1024_768.ini file, so i went ahead and reused the file from beta since since it's a PITA to work with, coupled with the fact that i had already done the work on it.

I couldnt understand why the obs scope was orginally seperated onto its own texture, and i guess in the end the GWX team didn't either. Since i always use the low contrast textures (cant stand the other ones), i'd have never noticed this problem.

I'll go back over the files tonight and post an update. My sincere aplogies for this apparent oversight.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf
Given the sweeping changes in Ducimus' mod I am amazed there aren't any other inconsistencies like this one.
No kidding. I'm also my worst critic. I don't know if i should chewing myself out letting this oversight slip by me, or pat myself on the back for it being the only screw up as so far. Although im 99% sure, its the only screw up ive made, and only because i had a moment of laziness

Last edited by Ducimus; 02-01-07 at 09:00 PM.