Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-02-10, 03:39 PM   #1
Gryffon300
Engineer

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Default The waters wash over me

Just arrived in Canada for extended stay and setting up new PC running XP Pro, reasonable graphics & sound cards.
I have pulled out my old games from storage and am having a go at setting up Silent Hunter I; Silent Hunter II; & Silent Hunter III.
No problems so far with SH II (Patched to 1.1 so far); and SH III (patched to 1.4b & GWX 2.0 - had them burned to disc - great advice way back when!). Don't have much better than dial-up speed here, so will wait to download GWX 3.0 (!! Wow!) when I get time.
A few glitches on III so far. Naval Academy, the watch crew is pretending to hold binoculars - whereas, the OOW actually has them (most times), and the AI doesn't work for torpedoes - I have to do it all manually - a real pain. I can live with those (especially as GWX 3.0 will probably resolve.
SH II is glitchy with sound - often one speaker only and wrong files at differing stations (loud engine noise at radio station - no engines on conning tower). Not so good. Recommendations?
Finally, as I can't easily find a good sticky, "How to Install & recommended begginner's upgrade path", my apologies if I have just missed it. Has anyone bothered to get SHI working on XP? I've tried installing under W95 compatibility mode, and seem to go OK, up to a point. I've got the old MS Dos simbol up, I've run some configuration processes (not sure if I've done them all properly) and I get to try and open the program with the desk top icon, DOS window comes up for a second showing "SH.EXE", then the screen blacker comes on. If the disc is not in, the nice blue message comes up asking for the disc. Once the disc is in, it just reverts to the normal desk-top. I can get no further.
Any possibility of success here?
Thanks.
Keep those Conning Towers pointing up.
Gryffon
Gryffon300 is offline   Reply With Quote